PDA

View Full Version : protractor sharpening jig

hughie
23rd May 2008, 05:34 PM
Not having a sharpening jig and finally succumbed to the idea that its easier to use a jig :U

I decided to see if I could knock one up out of a old die cast protractor I had lying around. With its graduated set up it seemed ideal for the purpose.

I removed all the not needed bits and machined up a ali block to carry the pointy bit to swivel on. It has some adjustment for height or length with a simple bolt type clamp. Have yet to try it out but it looks like it'l do the job

rsser
23rd May 2008, 05:37 PM
Another fine example of lateral thinking ;-}

TTIT
24th May 2008, 12:24 AM
Precision recycling - love it!!! Good one Hughie :2tsup:

OGYT
24th May 2008, 12:13 PM
Awesome! Metal protractor... never saw one here in the upover. Only one's I've ever seen are little plastic toys.
Good job, Hughie.. looks like it'll do the trick! :)

Woodlee
24th May 2008, 12:21 PM
Another fine example of lateral thinking ;-}

Yeah, but with an angular result.

That is a great idea , but I don't think I'll be chopping up my good Mitutoyo protractor to make one.

Kev

hughie
24th May 2008, 04:40 PM
That is a great idea , but I don't think I'll be chopping up my good Mitutoyo protractor to make one.

Aw gee Ken wheres your committment.............:U

Al, here you go a heap of 'em, pretty much a standard item in Eng. workshops. Die csat are the el cheapos, usually cast iron

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Garden-DIY,Measuring-equipment,Protractor

joe greiner
24th May 2008, 09:14 PM
Awesome! Metal protractor... never saw one here in the upover. Only one's I've ever seen are little plastic toys.
Good job, Hughie.. looks like it'll do the trick! :)

"Combination square," Al. Enco, McMaster-Carr, Grizzly; maybe even Harbor Freight. (Well,no; not them, although the same name is used for a couple other tools.) Starrett, Brown&Sharp, a few other manufacturers.

Neat idea, Hughie. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

littlebuddha
24th May 2008, 10:57 PM
Well if us UK guys don't just give you ideas we give you the tools to make um as well:D Neat one, if i had not have made my own based on a certain french man, and he most like got the idea from us brits anyway:rolleyes: then i would knock one of them up Hughie, keep um coming though:2tsup: LB

OGYT
25th May 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Hughie, and Joe; I've seen them around here, and just didn't know what I was looking at, I guess. Seen 'em in Grizzly's wishbook, too. Duh!!!

Manuka Jock
25th May 2008, 12:59 PM
"Combination square," Al. Enco, McMaster-Carr, Grizzly; maybe even Harbor Freight. (Well,no; not them, although the same name is used for a couple other tools.) Starrett, Brown&Sharp, a few other manufacturers.

Neat idea, Hughie. Thanks for sharing.

Joe
We call the sliding T/45degree square we carry on our tool belt a
Combination Square.
I'm not sure what name we give that tool .
Cant remember the last time I saw one .
I like the idea tho :2tsup: