PDA

View Full Version : Raffan technique

hughie
25th May 2008, 06:46 PM
Found this on my travels

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videoclips/hollowing.mpg

bitingmidge
25th May 2008, 07:34 PM
Saw it demonstrated at the Bris Woodshow. Looked scary to me, and Mr R did suggest you practice with someone watching to work out where the mistakes were!

It worked a treat though.

Cheers,

P
:D

ticklingmedusa
25th May 2008, 08:09 PM
The trick is to keep the bevel rubbing the whole way.
Question: End grain only?
I've seen it referred to as an endgrain cut.
What happens if you do it across?

weisyboy
25th May 2008, 08:54 PM
looks like a good way to get a dig in to me. if you keep the shaft of the tool against the edge of the bowl it should be ok.

Alastair
26th May 2008, 05:46 PM
Tried this a number of times over the years, always with the same 'oh ????' result

This is typical of a number of Raffans early video techniques, like roughing with the long point of the skew, etc. Works for him, and only a few others!!

regards

TEEJAY
26th May 2008, 06:37 PM
Saw it demonstrated at the Bris Woodshow. Looked scary to me, and Mr R did suggest you practice with someone watching to work out where the mistakes were!

It worked a treat though.

Cheers,

P
:D

Agree 100% - a very accomplished woodturner with techniques that scare the carp out of a novice - I know Neal and i were not enthused by his techniques - the results impressive but the methods appeared dangerous for him so for us a invitation to hospital. I am sure woodturning doesn't have to be stressful or seem risky. We all were uneasy when he made some quick reflex actions to avoid what we could not avoid - there were some murmurings and gasps during the displays.

DavidG
26th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Its used for endgrain hollowing for goblets, scoops etc.

Quick and easy once you get to know it.

We, here, are lucky in having Richard walk us through it. :U

OGYT
27th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting this, Hughie. Short but sweet video.
If I had a gouge with that squared off grind on it, I'd give it a go. Looks like fun... at least for a small box or goblet, etc..
I wonder what angle the bevel is, in relation to the flute....

rsser
27th May 2008, 03:06 PM
Back hollowing is it called? demo'd it at the turnfest down here.

Would seem one advantage is that you're controlling the tool handle on the side of the lathe you stand on.

The bevel looks fairly short Al.

Thanks for the post Hughie.

Groggy
27th May 2008, 04:05 PM
I was watching a video on the Woodworking channel by a French fella and he said Richard had instructed him in its use, but "it wasn't for the fainthearted".

RETIRED
27th May 2008, 04:14 PM
It does not take much to learn how to do it. I prefer to use a 10mm spindle gouge.

It really is the ideal way to cut end grain as the timber is supported by the grain underneath leaving a very good finish.

It could be used on bowls but the reverse is true. When you cut downhill on the inside of the bowl the grain is supported by the uncut timber.

Cutting in and out can get rid of a lot of material very quickly.

Little Festo
28th May 2008, 08:21 PM
Saw him at the wood show in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. He's very approachable. I managed to get a quick (about two minutes) hands on lesson on how to turn "quick" beads on the outside of a bowl. He's a very good teacher. His method was really fast (as most/all of his turning is) and once you got the "hang" of it was really quite easy. Really nice when someone as well known as that will give advice freely.

Peter

rsser
28th May 2008, 08:34 PM
LoL, I asked him the same thing at the show in Melb last year and he was kind enough to add it to the demo. Missed out on a 1 on 1 though.

Frank&Earnest
29th May 2008, 01:09 AM
Two questions:
who is my long lost twin: short, bold, bearded and bespectacled, Raffan or Festo?

Is all that's different in this technique that the tool moves vertically instead of horizontally, or am I missing something?

Little Festo
29th May 2008, 09:05 AM
Two questions:
who is my long lost twin: short, bold, bearded and bespectacled, Raffan or Festo?

Is all that's different in this technique that the tool moves vertically instead of horizontally, or am I missing something?

"Little" Festo is the taller. Raffan's the bold one, just like his tool work.

Peter

OGYT
29th May 2008, 10:20 AM
Good show!! Nice to see one of our forumites... and the famous bloke, too... up close. Thanks for posting, Peter... now you gotta practice what you learned, so you don't stuff a piece down the line.. :D

Frank&Earnest
29th May 2008, 12:54 PM
"Little" Festo is the taller. Raffan's the bold one, just like his tool work.

Peter

OK, OK, you know I meant "bald", not even the spellchecker would have picked this one. :- But it fits, I'll wear it. :D

ticklingmedusa
29th May 2008, 09:02 PM
OK, OK, you know I meant "bald", not even the spellchecker would have picked this one. :- But it fits, I'll wear it. :D

:D:D:D

rsser
29th May 2008, 10:25 PM
Back OT ... the trichology is making me twitchy ;-}

Well I've only ever seen the technique done, not done it myself, but I believe another advantage with a goblet or pencil jar is that clears the shavings better.

I have to confess that I don't understand 's point. When I hollow in the std position AFAIK the grain is supported. Must be missing something.

Jarrahrules
29th May 2008, 10:31 PM
LoL, I asked him the same thing at the show in Melb last year and he was kind enough to add it to the demo. Missed out on a 1 on 1 though.

Hi Risser
You know that lathe he was using at Melbourne. I bought it and he was kind enough to sign it. He also helped load it in my ute. Top Bloke.:2tsup:
JAMC

rsser
29th May 2008, 10:51 PM
Nice one Jarrah! A signed Raffan.

ss_11000
29th May 2008, 11:26 PM
i've seen that in one of his video's i'm pretty sure. i tried it once and yeah, i got a catch:(

Frank&Earnest
30th May 2008, 12:16 PM
My apologies for the twitch inducing trichology trip, but that was only an aside. My pertinent question was whether, after watching the video ten times, I am still missing the point: to me this technique trades the advantage of leveraging the tool using the toolrest as a fulcrum against the disadvantage of not having it supported along the cutting arc and having to use the hand as a vertical toolrest, six to half a dozen IMHO. Edited to add: and definitely a disadvantage for deeper hollowing.

BTW, I like straightening a roughed cylinder with the point of the skew, using the skew flat on the rest like a bedan. Nobody taught me that, if it works it works.

rsser
30th May 2008, 12:30 PM
Re your BTW F&E: a turning teacher showed me this one. Works better if the burr is facing up, but often leaves a rough finish in my experience.

rsser
16th June 2008, 11:57 AM
Found a decent vid of the Raffan cut:

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

Select AAW from the bar at the top and scroll down the thumbs at the right to select the Martel demo.