PDA

View Full Version : Peppercorn wood

Darby
25th May 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi,
I'm new here, I have some good pieces of peppercorn wood I cut of a tree last week,Will swap for some$.
Also I have some silky oak aswell, Any one interested? If this is the wrong forum for this please direct me to the right one.
Thanks
Darby

Calm
25th May 2008, 07:54 PM
What is the moisture content of the wood?

I would be interested if the tree has been dead for about 10 years or if the wood was cut and ends sealed and stored for 5 years to allow it to dry to a useable moisture content.

What sort of $$$ did you have in mind?

cheers

Darby
25th May 2008, 08:09 PM
Peppercorn is freshly cut,pink coloured wood be good for slabbing,Silky oak was cut down about 6-8 mnths ago.
I regulary have mixed types of fresh cut wood, I burn a lot to keep the house warm in winter as it's a by product of mine,lots of hardwood aswell.You tell me what it may be worth$

funkychicken
25th May 2008, 09:21 PM
Pics?

quercus
29th May 2008, 10:46 PM
Is peppercorn any good for anything? I cut a lot up as a contractor, and it seems like nasty spongy, sappy, sticky,smelly stuff. I don't know if it even burns well.

If I am wrong, let me know, as I will start saving it up. Has anyone any experience in this wood?

rowie
30th May 2008, 04:30 AM
The usual wood you get is pretty bland, but the burly bits & occasional blackheart stain make it worthwhile. Can be very unstable though.

ficfac
4th July 2008, 09:03 PM
Hey Darby, still got any of that silky oak? I'm in Sydney too and interested. Cheers! Josh.