PDA

View Full Version : Slabbing logs

BobR
25th May 2008, 08:51 PM
Last week I spent a few days at a mate's house taking some slabs from a sheoak and a spotted gum. Got some really nice pieces from the sheoak, but the spotted gum is a bit of a loss. Looks as though each board will have a split up both sides. Now looks destined to become firewood. Just have to wait a couple of years for the sheoak to dry.

The first image is of the sheoak being prepared for the first cut, while the next image is after the first cut has been made. Photos 3 & 4 are the same for the spotted gum. The last image is of the trunks cut into 2 metre logs and the ends sealed.

BobL
25th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Lookin good Bob. :2tsup:
What sort of mill are you using?

How thick are your slabs? Even if the spotty cracks if the cracks are reasonably straight you might be able to just cut them out. A lot of people look at a cracked slab and see firewood, I see 2 or 3 or more, 4x2's.

Did you think of lifting those logs off the ground before milling them. I find it make a huge difference and at the end of the day I'm nowhere near as nackered as milling logs on the ground. A jack, some wedges and a couple of sawhorses are all you need.

BobR
25th May 2008, 11:32 PM
Bob, I'm using a Lucas mill. If you look real hard you can see that the logs are supported by another half log at each end. Not an ideal situation, but there was no way even two of us could lift these. After taking a few slabs it was possible to lift one end on to a stump, then hold the other end in the Triton super jaws. Most of the slabs were taken at about 30mm, with the last few just under this. The figure and colour in the sheoak is just magic. The drying time is going to test my patience.

BobL
26th May 2008, 12:34 AM
Bob, Lucas mills look like this.
http://www.privateforestrysthnqld.com.au/wp-content/2007/07/sawing.jpg
Are you sure this is what you were using?

Yeah waiting for things to dry is a PITA which is why I built myself a drying shed. It dries timber about twice as fast as straight air drying. In most parts of Australia temperature is not the issue, it's getting enough air flow that matters. Good spacing between the slabs and keep them away from direct sunlight to reduce cracking.

derekh
26th May 2008, 11:36 AM
The first photo looks like the Alaskan Small Log Mill, and the rails mounted on the log are also a giveway.

BobR
26th May 2008, 12:03 PM
Derekh you are right. Dont ask me why I said Lucas. Would be nice to have one though. At the moment I am out of room to store timber for drying so a bigger mill would not help much. Damn small Sydney backyards.