PDA

View Full Version : Canberra WW Show

John Saxton
25th May 2008, 10:17 PM
Have'nt tried out the Canberra WW show, will likely only get to that and the Melbourne one this year.

Has anyone any idea of the facility where the Canberra show is held?

Plan to be over East a wanderin' from Qld down to Vic over the months.

TIA

Cheers:)

FXST01
25th May 2008, 10:43 PM
Usually held at EPIC park (Exhibition Park In Canberra)
Flemington Road Mitchell ACT 2911

http://www.epic.act.gov.au/

http://www.workingwithwood.com/

Jim Carroll
25th May 2008, 10:52 PM
John about the same size as Adelaide.

The guild have a good display of finished work.

John Saxton
27th May 2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks FSXT01, & Jim for the input look forward to seeing something of you folk happen I manage to get to the shows ....with permission of course:D:D:D.

Ruddigar
28th August 2008, 02:21 PM
Erm........

Is anyone actually planning to go to this show? One week out and hardly a whisper from Forumites.....:?

FXST01
28th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately I will miss it due to work, ah so typical

mcarthur
28th August 2008, 05:55 PM
Yep, I'll be there. Anyone else in for a meetup?

Rob

namtrak
28th August 2008, 07:08 PM
I'll be there kicking tyres.

Baz
28th August 2008, 08:31 PM
I'll be there Friday morning.
Cheers
Barry

wheelinround
28th August 2008, 08:31 PM
Being Fathers Day weekend you can expect two things

Mad Rush Saturday

Dead Quiet Sunday

DavidG
28th August 2008, 08:43 PM
I will be there this Tuesday delivering stuff and then on Sunday pm to pick up.
May get in early Sun to look around.:U

les88
29th August 2008, 07:31 AM
I will be there on Friday.. last year was in the market for a scroll saw.. while the salesman was showing me the difference between two saws.. they were both sold from under me and that was the total amount that they had brought from Perth.
This year after a lathe I had better be quick:oo::oo:
les

mcarthur
29th August 2008, 11:37 AM
So it sounds like a meetup on friday is the goer then (if meetup means about 3 people :D)? Late morning, say 11am?

Here's what I'm looking at:

triton wet grinder
scroll saw (thoughts? comments? which one?!)
possibly big b*gger replacement for the 13" thicknesser. I don't really have the room for a floor-style 15", but the 13" I got from H&F (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=63682) is having a little dummy split. It's a good machine, twin speed, locking head and digital gauge, but feeding long (5m) wide (200+) thick (50mm+) hardwood boards isn't making it happy. Given I've now a number to get through, I may have to upgrade. Anyone want to comment on the triton 15" vs the H&F/CT big suckers? Loudness is a bit of an issue, but surely they're all the same once the timber hits the cutters?

Not saying I'm buying these, just looking :rolleyes:. Given the prices often aren't particularly good, it's often better to just head to Sydney on a weekday!

Rob

Tex B
29th August 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm planning to go this year as well, have a daughter in Canberra who wants me to buy her lunch for Father's Day :D

Prolly get a couple of hours Sat morning, and may go back Sunday.

Tex

Baz
29th August 2008, 04:28 PM
Rob, 11am is fine, I will be wearing a black/white/red baseball cap with a snail emblem on the front.
Cheers
Barry

namtrak
29th August 2008, 06:56 PM
I'll be there at 11, I'll be wearing the birthday suit and a tin hat.

les88
30th August 2008, 08:13 AM
I'll be there at 11am Friday look for the oldest bloke there :2tsup::2tsup:
les

Jim Carroll
30th August 2008, 03:49 PM
Les you will be one of the younger ones there.

Always great to see the octogenerians still out in their sheds enjoying them selves.

mcarthur
31st August 2008, 05:14 PM
Rob, 11am is fine, I will be wearing a black/white/red baseball cap with a snail emblem on the front.

Blimey, I hardly know what's in the wardrobe let alone what I'll be wearing a week away! Surely Stating what you're wearing more than a few hours ahead is a code of practice breach :oo::2tsup:.

See ya's at 11! I'll be wearing.
Rob
PS. although it's a small show, how about we agree to meet somewhere :doh:, say at the coffee shop?

Baz
31st August 2008, 07:57 PM
Rob the coffee shop will be fine.

John Saxton, are you going to be there/

Cheers
Barry

les88
2nd September 2008, 08:40 AM
Coffee shop 1100hrs 05/09/08
les

Ruddigar
2nd September 2008, 11:13 AM
Blimey, I hardly know what's in the wardrobe let alone what I'll be wearing a week away! Surely Stating what you're wearing more than a few hours ahead is a code of practice breach
I'll be wearing a black SawStop polo shirt :-

John Saxton
2nd September 2008, 11:25 AM
Rob the coffee shop will be fine.

John Saxton, are you going to be there/

Cheers
Barry

Hi Baz,
Yep I'll be there Friday at least at this point.

Put the kettle on Mate! cos its lookin' cold down there!!:D

mcarthur
2nd September 2008, 12:39 PM
Cold? Wadja mean? It must be at least 15 today! Byuuuuuuuuuuuudiful day. Nice to have a noticeable four seasons (but I still miss the sea and Moreton Bay).

Oh, and while I don't have the shirt but do have a 10HB, I'll bring a vege sausage to see if TVP conducts as well as pigs do :D.

Rob

mat
2nd September 2008, 12:42 PM
I get the feeling the Canberra show is shrinking. The stall price vs sales potential is putting a lot of stall holders off. Don't think we will see Canberra Carbatec there although many wont see that as a great loss. I also hear that McJing wont be there either.

The wood show website doesn't even have a map of stall holders 3 days before the show starts.

Ruddigar
2nd September 2008, 01:50 PM
The wood show website doesn't even have a map of stall holders 3 days before the show starts.
And the exhibitors list is from 2007 :~

Baz
2nd September 2008, 10:26 PM
Canberra Carba-Tec were not there last year, I heard today that Timbercon won't be there, have been wondering how long the show will continue in Canberra. Should make it every 2 years.

Jonno, see ya Friday

Cheers
Barry

DavidG
2nd September 2008, 10:29 PM
It appears that the event has been sold to a new company.
We will need to wait and see what happens next year.

mat
3rd September 2008, 01:14 PM
So apart from Gabbett do we know if anyone else will be there?

DavidG
3rd September 2008, 01:17 PM
Looks like I will be there on Friday.
Time unknown.

Possibly co supervising a group of high school kids. As yet not confirmed.

Bodgia
3rd September 2008, 01:20 PM
I rang the number on the WWW show website the other day to see if they were going to put an updated exhibitors list on there before the show. The guy told me they were too busy getting the site updated for the Adelaide and Melbourne shows so there won't be a 2008 Exhibitors list for the Canberra show on the site at all. He did tell me that "it'll be pretty much the same exhibitors as last year" but I don't know if he was just having a bit of a SWAG or not.

Ruddigar
3rd September 2008, 02:13 PM
I rang the number on the WWW show website the other day to see if they were going to put an updated exhibitors list on there before the show. The guy told me they were too busy getting the site updated for the Adelaide and Melbourne shows so there won't be a 2008 Exhibitors list for the Canberra show on the site at all. He did tell me that "it'll be pretty much the same exhibitors as last year" but I don't know if he was just having a bit of a SWAG or not.
Hmmmm.... :hmm:

Wonder if I'm entitled to a partial refund..

corbs
4th September 2008, 07:09 PM
Finished a course down in Melbourne yesterday so only got home last night. Will be going to the show tomorrow so guess I will be around the coffee shop at 11:2tsup:. No idea what I will be wearing (depends on the weather:wink:). Will be in the market for a faceplate and maybe some veneers. Any money left over will go towards some pen kits & turning blanks.

Corbs

mcarthur
4th September 2008, 10:34 PM
Sorry people, change of plans for me. Sickness in family means I may or may not get there tomorrow at all, certainly won't at 11 though :no:. Have fun :2tsup:.

Rob
PS. is it time to celebrate spring and have a Canberra shed meet?

les88
5th September 2008, 07:51 AM
I am in the same boat as Rob I don't think I will make it at all.
But I am In for a shed meet
Hope you all land bargains
les

corbs
5th September 2008, 08:52 AM
Looks like there are a few falling by the wayside... I will still be there so will keep an eye out at the coffee shop at 11. I am also interested in a shed meet too:2tsup:. If I had a shed I would put my hand up to host... but things are a bit of a mess here so not feasible at this stage.

DANZAN
5th September 2008, 07:55 PM
I am looking to go on Sunday, but was disappointed to not see a floorplan/exhibitors list on the site.

What did ya'll think of the show?

Debbie

Baz
5th September 2008, 08:31 PM
Hi Debbie, I was a bit disappointed with the show, a few major players were not there, but there were a few new ones. Plenty of timber, as usual Trend had all the exotic stuff but there was plenty of good aussie timber outside at good prices.

Met up with John Saxton, Corbs, Namtrak and one other who's name I have forgotten, (my appoligies) good to put some faces to names.

Cheers
Barry

John H
6th September 2008, 09:07 PM
Anyone heading to the show tomorrow? I'm thinking about checking it out as my Fathers Days outing :)

Twinnie
6th September 2008, 10:13 PM
i talked to some one at work who had been and well lets face it if they had got what they were after the wouldn't have been there. i know carbatec arn't there nor are timbicon, but jim carrol is! i'll be there tomorrow to watch stan and try and score some cheep blanks that people don't want to take back with them.

DavidG
6th September 2008, 10:20 PM
I'll be there late to help pack up the Guild.

Was there early Monday and scored a 14.4v CMG drill with 3 batteries as a prize from a radio station (Mix 106.3).

Lots of expensive machinery there. No money :C.
McJing as usual with all the bits and pieces.
Lots of wood but few camphor blanks.
Some nice slabs (probably sold by now).

Pusser
7th September 2008, 12:46 AM
Timbercon, carbatec, and hare and Forbes wern't there. I know Carbatec baulked at the price last year and one player with a large area was rumoured to have had to spend 10,000. Jet, Festool, Metabo, Bosch, Hitachi, Makita, Felder, hammer were all represented. Col Clenton, Chris Vesper, Terry Gordon, Trent Powrie ( Harold Saxon Chisels), Roger Gifkins and the Aussie Jig guy were there. McJing, another tool shop, Jim Carol Trend Timbers, Tasmanian Timbers, Australian Cedar works and some sawmillers were there. The chap who does the veneers and sandpaper was there as well. He had plenty of the coloured sandpaper.

A small show but did not miss timbercom, carbatec or the GMC stuff. I still managed to spend all my money on some good tools.

Col Clenton said at about 1pm on Friday that it was already a good show for his group - he had sold out of some guages already and had a steady flow of customers. One lucky (weathy?) guy bought eight of his tools in one hit.

Twinnie
7th September 2008, 09:59 PM
despite the missing big names it was a great show, the guild had a great set up and stan was there at his entertaining best.

there was some bloke there making green wood chairs but he seemed to be keeping to him self... a bit odd realy.

fishers had a corner and atleast the bosh and dewalt rep's.
combined had 2 makita reps and both seemed to be doing a good trade.
trend timbers had a $300 stick of wenge stolen!
it was nice to see cape boatworks there.
there was also a bloke selling 2" drive sockets!
i'm not sure if it's just me but there seemed to be alot less magic drill bits and wizard chamois this year which is nice

bring on next year! and i didn't think i'd be saying that last time

Matt

Harry R
8th September 2008, 10:41 AM
Agree with Twinnie - the show was small scale (compared with Sydney) but great. I gave myself a well deserved early mark and went Friday afternoon.

A big bonus was Richard Vaughan's hand plane presentation. According to the WWW website he was only going to be there Sat and Sun so I was surprised (very pleasantly!) to see him there.

One of the great things about the Canberra show is that because it's not so crowded you actually get a chance to pick the brains of people like Richard, Terry Gordon and Colen Clenton. I walked away with some very useful plane blade sharpening tips (thanks Richard:2tsup:), tips for using wooden planes and spokeshaves (thanks Terry:2tsup:) and an appreciation of the work that goes into some of these quality tools (thanks Colen:2tsup:).

Oh yeah, also walked away with:
-CC square and 45o gauges;
-HNT flat spokeshave;
-an absolutely stunning piece of bird's eye maple;
-significantly less cash.

The Guild stand was very worthwhile with some stunning pieces on display. I've been meaning to join up for a while and will have to do so one of these days.

Tex B
9th September 2008, 02:01 PM
Much smaller than Sydney, but I really enjoyed the show. Had a great play on a lathe making a honey dip (thanks, Tim). Some good discussions with the vendors that just don't seem to happen at the crowded show in Sydney. Even had time to graze at the McJing stand without getting pushed along.

The only annoying thing was a woman tapping two sticks together. constantly. for hours.

The guild work was very good. Great inspiration for weekend woodies like me.

Tex

namtrak
9th September 2008, 02:54 PM
I enjoyed a few hours there, thought the $15 for punters was far too steep!!! I suspect that in the next few years there will be either a rival WW show or a collapse of this one.

The $10,000+ stall costs plus high entry fee cant be sustained.

Got to buy some gizmos at mcJing, chatted to the WoodWizz bloke for an hour or so and talked crap with a few forumites - not a bad friday.