PDA

View Full Version : Going To South Africa...I Need Some Help

ss_11000
26th May 2008, 12:20 AM
Hey Guys

Some of you already know but anyway; I am going to South Africa on a hockey tour. Everything is arranged by the bloke running the tour so my questions are pretty much general questions about the country and our custom laws etc.

Has anyone been to SA? Is there anything I should be extra 'careful' of. (I've been told by a few people not to make myself seem like a tourist)
The customs website says I can bring back $450AUD of duty free goods. If i was to buy a few Hockey Sticks over there (cheaper!!!). would that count as some of my duty free total or would they believe me if I said i had bought them in Australia before I went? Its probably not worth the effort incase I get caught and fined though aye. But how much tax do you get charged coming back into the country with more than your duty free allowance?
If I bring back FINISHED wood products (we go to a local market one day over there) would customs take it off me? Apparently last year, someone bought back a drum and customs confiscated it because of the animal skin. would that have been the only reason because timber isnt on the restriction list:?http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4369
When flying with QANTAS on international flights, do you need to pay for anything while onboard: drinks, food etc (i havent been in a plane before)i'm sure i will think up more:)

thanx in advance

woodbe
26th May 2008, 02:23 AM
Stirlo,

Stick to the truth with Customs, it's not worth your while to be found telling porkies to them.

1) Haven't been, no plans either. It's always a good idea not to display items of value whilst overseas. No sense in making yourself a target.
2) Unless an item has a tariff, once you exceed your tax free allowance, you are just up for GST (10%). I've bought all sorts of stuff in, and never heard the tariff word mentioned. YMMV.
3) Wood items will be inspected. (declare it) If they are found suspicious, they may be sent off for fumigation. Again, I've bought all sorts of stuff in without hassle.
4) International is usually free food and drink.

Enjoy your trip!

woodbe.

jmk89
26th May 2008, 07:12 AM
Sticking to the truth is the only way to go.

1. Just behave sensiblyand don't make yourself conspicuous and you should be fine. You will be with your hockey hosts most of the time and if htey seem like sensible people, take your cues from them.
2. I thought the duty free limit was raised to $1000 a couple of years ago. Anyway, I doubt that the customs people will be worried about hockey sticks on grounds of duty. However, they may want to fumigate them.. You don't pay duty on used goods, so you could play with your new sticks - but make sure you clean off all dirt etc you get on them as that is a real quarantine issue. This is the way peole bring in golf clubs they buy os. Again, declare it, show it to them and let the Customs people decide. The most you are up for, as woodbe said, is usually GST (unless you are bringing in smokes or booze).
3. Declare it - as woodbe said, wood items are suspect on a quarantine basis and they are often fumigated by Customs (they do it and send it on to you). You do not want to bring unwanted bugs into Australia - imagine if it was something that killed grape vines, you'd be really popular in Cessnock, not!
4. Qantas is free all the way unless you do in-air shopping.

Have a great time and score heaps of goals!

kmthor
26th May 2008, 07:46 AM
i lived there for 10 years my advise would be to use common sence. the things you wouldnt do here or in any country, dont do there just keep your wits about you and you will be fine.

Fuzzie
26th May 2008, 07:47 AM
I've always found the people on customs and quarantine duty very helpful and friendly. They really want to catch drug dealers and other idiots, they're not out to harass normal people. Be truthful and reasonable with what you bring back and you will be ok. The current duty free declaration limit is for $900 worth of goods.

However you have something else to be seriously vigilant about. AQIS is particularly concerned about dirty things coming back. Since you are going to be playing sport on turf you will have to take extra special care. There are serious fines for things like coming home with mud stuck to your boots. You should always wash/scrub your boots and used equipment before coming home.

It's hard not to look like a tourist anywhere you go. Just be careful. There are lots of good tips on this guy's (http://www.public.asu.edu/%7Ecallen5/index_files/travel.htm) website. Take note of his packing list, he is correct. However I find it hard to actually fit that much into a day pack! My problem is usually with fitting a second pair of size 11 shoes in.

ss_11000
26th May 2008, 09:04 AM
so:
like i thought, tell customs about the sticks:)
declare any wood products i buy
and wash all dirt off everything.

thanx guys

bitingmidge
26th May 2008, 10:33 AM
And don't forget to declare any food, (that includes lollies) that you have with you on the way back. There'll be no hassle even with the timber stuff if you declare it.

Have a great trip!

P
:D

Wongo
26th May 2008, 11:05 AM
Get me some black ebony.:2tsup:

chrisb691
26th May 2008, 01:15 PM
....and wash all dirt off everything.

Stirlo's coming back clean. :roflmao:

ss_11000
26th May 2008, 04:48 PM
Get me some black ebony.:2tsup: sure, i'll bring you back a pen blank:D

And don't forget to declare any food, (that includes lollies) that you have with you on the way back. There'll be no hassle even with the timber stuff if you declare it.

Have a great trip!

P
:D
lollies sound good:cool:. i can just see myself getting into trouble for having a stick of chewing gum in my pocket and forgetting about it:-

Stirlo's coming back clean. :roflmao:
lol:D

bitingmidge
26th May 2008, 05:03 PM
Hey Stirlo,

Check this out:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/South_Africa

It's the official government warning page.

Note the bit about not being in certain areas after dark, and don't go exploring downtown with your mates after tea.

I have friends who have just gone home to Jo-burg for a wedding and they are a bit uncomfortable about the rise in crime in the last 18 months since their last visit. (and they were locals!)

Cheers,

P

petersemple
26th May 2008, 05:22 PM
About a year (or maybe 2) ago my BIL went to SA with his girlfriend. They brought back a carved wooden noah's ark and animals for the kids - no problems with quarantine. It's only one data point but it's obviously possible.

Peter

ss_11000
26th May 2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Stirlo,

Check this out:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/South_Africa

It's the official government warning page.

Note the bit about not being in certain areas after dark, and don't go exploring downtown with your mates after tea.

I have friends who have just gone home to Jo-burg for a wedding and they are a bit uncomfortable about the rise in crime in the last 18 months since their last visit. (and they were locals!)

Cheers,

P

i read that last night after posting this thread. i was suprised to read that jo'burg was that bad with crime. we spend a few days there before going to cape town. hope it settles down a bit before we get there. i guess i will just have to not go places i shouldnt be in:rolleyes::cool: ta for the worning midge:)

thanx for that note peter:cool:

hughie
24th June 2008, 08:00 PM
Stirlo,
you can bring back timber as long as it has no bark on it. Last time I went o/seas [ last year ] the duty free amount was $900 something. That is the purchase price, not what it maybe worth here.

S.A hmm lived there many years ago. Things have changed much, I would pay close attention to what the locals advise on where to go etc.

S.A is a real pretty country...too bad about the politics.

ss_11000
24th June 2008, 10:06 PM
Stirlo,
you can bring back timber as long as it has no bark on it. Last time I went o/seas [ last year ] the duty free amount was $900 something. That is the purchase price, not what it maybe worth here.

S.A hmm lived there many years ago. Things have changed much, I would pay close attention to what the locals advise on where to go etc.

S.A is a real pretty country...too bad about the politics.

For people under 18 - the duty free amount is $450. If I see some timber at the local markets etc, I will be tempted to buy some depending on how much I have already spent:)

So listen to the locals is the way to go huh:cool: Do they speak english?:?

Thanx for the tips Hughie:2tsup:

btw - not long to go now: 9 days:U

woodcutta
24th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Stirlo,

As you know I travel quite a bit for work. The way I judge a place is if i'm in a country and there are people walking around with machine guns - it's not a safe place. S.A police carry machine guns

As others have said your hosts will not let you get into trouble.

woodcutta

PS call me about your bits.

Burnsy
25th June 2008, 12:26 AM
Stirlo, if you buy sticks over there and use them, no-one will be any the wiser or care. If you bring them all back shiney and new still in their packaging, then it is best to declare them.

Even with the lower threshold for under 18 you will usually be right as I have been told before and my experience coming through Aussi customs backs this up that the cost of processing the the duty for the small amount of duty they are going to collect is prohibitive and is usually only done if you act like a knob. Just stick to the limits on specified items such as alcohol (not for you:wink:) and dvd's etc.

ss_11000
25th June 2008, 12:52 AM
Stirlo,

As you know I travel quite a bit for work. The way I judge a place is if i'm in a country and there are people walking around with machine guns - it's not a safe place. S.A police carry machine guns

As others have said your hosts will not let you get into trouble.

woodcutta

PS call me about your bits.

:2tsup:.thanx for the advice.

about those bits - can i get you to post them to me and i'll deposit the money into your account (direct debit).

ss_11000
25th June 2008, 12:55 AM
Stirlo, if you buy sticks over there and use them, no-one will be any the wiser or care. If you bring them all back shiney and new still in their packaging, then it is best to declare them.

Even with the lower threshold for under 18 you will usually be right as I have been told before and my experience coming through Aussi customs backs this up that the cost of processing the the duty for the small amount of duty they are going to collect is prohibitive and is usually only done if you act like a knob. Just stick to the limits on specified items such as alcohol (not for you:wink:) and dvd's etc.
cheers for the tips:2tsup:

Burnsy
25th June 2008, 01:07 AM
Stirlo, I understand your apprehension being a first time OS traveller, I remember being the same. The important thing to remember when going through customs is that it is not an audit. No-one wants to see receipts or add up approximate value of what you have on you. In fact no-one even wants to see everything you have on you.

When considering duty, they look for what is termed reasonable. Bringing in 20 sticks may be seen as not reasonable and possibly for business/selling. Six sticks for someone on a OS hockey tour may be seen as reasonable?

Just remember to be honest as has been stated before when filling out the quarantine declaration on the way back and think hard about what you actually have. It is easy to forget/overlook that you have seagrass or something with you as you did not realise that that was what the hair on the wooden mask was made out of. If in doubt, declare it, better the officers look at it and go nah don't worry about that than them find something you did not declare - then you start feeling guilty and have to go through the whole "why did you not tell us about these dried zebra ears you have with you":o

Toolin Around
25th June 2008, 02:44 AM
About a year (or maybe 2) ago my BIL went to SA with his girlfriend. They brought back a carved wooden noah's ark and animals for the kids - no problems with quarantine. It's only one data point but it's obviously possible.

Peter

BIL? is the a brother in law? And he has a girl friend - do tell!

namtrak
25th June 2008, 08:27 AM
The best advice I ever got re: flying was for Domestic travel try and take all your luggage in carry-on (not possible all the time) and for International try and take no luggage in carry-on. The logic is that Dometically you dont have to wait around for bags once you get off, you can just take your stuff and P*** off. And Internationally after 900 hours in a plane the last thing you want to do is be packing up a couple of carry on bags full of cameras, lollies and other assorted crap - it just feels better to get straight off the plane and stretch the pins. (and you looked like a seasoned traveller)

ss_11000
25th June 2008, 02:53 PM
thanx for the tips :2tsup:

petersemple
25th June 2008, 03:04 PM
BIL? is the a brother in law? And he has a girl friend - do tell!

Yeah, wife's brother. And he has a girlfriend. Not sure why that would be intriguing?

Peter

munruben
25th June 2008, 04:21 PM
Stirlo, you must be getting excited now. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Its great to travel while you are young and see a bit of the world.
I called in at Capetown many years ago and things were not too great at that time but we didn't get into any trouble. You just gotta be careful.

I think its a bit rich that you are not allowed the full allowance for tax free goods.

ss_11000
25th June 2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, wife's brother. And he has a girlfriend. Not sure why that would be intriguing?

Peter
He must have been thinking your sisters hunsband having a girlfriend:?

Stirlo, you must be getting excited now. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Its great to travel while you are young and see a bit of the world.
I called in at Capetown many years ago and things were not too great at that time but we didn't get into any trouble. You just gotta be careful.

I think its a bit rich that you are not allowed the full allowance for tax free goods.

yeah, getting quite excited. I also dont get the reason u18's get a lesser duty free limit:?:shrug:

rowie
26th June 2008, 01:49 AM
have a great time little buddy:2tsup:. Just remember, no bright hawiian shirts or camera around the neck:no::o.

Toolin Around
26th June 2008, 07:21 PM

Peter

wasn't looking far enough along the family tree - was thinking of your sister being married...

ss_11000
3rd July 2008, 04:26 PM
less than 17 hours :D:D:D:D:D till lift off

bsrlee
3rd July 2008, 10:13 PM
Last minute advice?

Don't buy any cheap diamond rings :U

I think you said its a 'school' outing? Take a few cases of condoms - never hurts to be careful, the boys may run out & you can always leave some as 'tips' - ditto ball point pens.

Mate got all his washing done for free by Quarantine - He went to Vietnam on a movie shoot, spent several weeks in & out of the jungle then came straight home. Quarantine took one look at him & his declaration, then took everything except what he was standing up in (freshly laundered) and fumigated & washed it for him:2tsup:

ss_11000
3rd July 2008, 10:42 PM
Last minute advice?

Don't buy any cheap diamond rings :U

I think you said its a 'school' outing? Take a few cases of condoms - never hurts to be careful, the boys may run out & you can always leave some as 'tips' - ditto ball point pens.

Mate got all his washing done for free by Quarantine - He went to Vietnam on a movie shoot, spent several weeks in & out of the jungle then came straight home. Quarantine took one look at him & his declaration, then took everything except what he was standing up in (freshly laundered) and fumigated & washed it for him:2tsup:

hmm, you say dont buy cheap diamonds:? are they likely to be fake?

its a hockey trip that has nothin to do with school. last year a few of the boys met up with some chicks so your next point is valid:oo::D

hmm, free washing. i rekon i could get that dirty lol:cool: just fall over in some rhino poo or something:no:lol

munruben
3rd July 2008, 11:03 PM
Bon voyage Stirlo, Have a nice trip and have fun. Catch up with you when you get back.:2tsup:

johnc
3rd July 2008, 11:51 PM
Have a good trip Stirlo, as for carry on, I usually put in a change of socks and jocks and a tooth brush in case the bagage goes AWOL and a book to kill the time. If its winter at the other end a jacket gets added to the list but thats it.

Once brought some MDF fences back and didn't consider them wood. Customs sadly did and I got a real dressing down but was allowed to bring them in. Since then I've been very careful to declare anything bought and have had a smoth run since. That has included wood, food stuffs, and the usual crap. Incidently I can go away for a month and never pack more than about 12kg, heavy bags are a pain.

ss_11000
4th July 2008, 12:16 AM
cheers guys.

i think my bag (luggage) weighs about 15kg or more. then i have my hockey bag which probably wighs 3 or 4 kg. my carry on has got an mp3 player, phone, wallet, AWR (something to read) and a book.

Cliff Rogers
24th July 2008, 04:43 PM
Are you home yet? :?

I saw you pop up in WWF about an hour ago.

We want a full report.

ss_11000
24th July 2008, 09:42 PM
got home around 9pm on tuesday night.

I spent most of wednesday catching up on things and started to write my 'report' on my trip. almost finished the written part and i'm half way thru sorting out which of the 6000 photos i am going to use.

hopefully, i will have a full written report with pics ready by the end of the weekend.

brief summary - i had a fukcing awesome time!!! and i'm looking forward to next year (maybe with an added option of a couple of days in Egypt as well). My team lost the final in extra time to a local South African team.

Cliff Rogers
24th July 2008, 10:08 PM
My team lost the final in extra time to a local South African team.D'oh.... close game huh?
Glad you had a good time. :2tsup:

ss_11000
24th July 2008, 10:24 PM
D'oh.... close game huh?
Glad you had a good time. :2tsup:
yeah, it was a close game.
Their last goal came from a mistake my team (myself included) had been making all tournament. we expected a free hit to be blown by the umpire...but as we quickly discovered at the start of the tournament (and didnt adapt to very quickly) South African umpires dont like to blow obstructions, stick checks and a few other rules that we are used to here in australia. They also have one set of rules for the aussies and one set for the locals.
I'm not blaming the umpires, i'm just saying that the rules are different over there (they shouldnt be but they are):) and my team and I didnt adapt to this all the time:-

we were a great team (great bunch of blokes on and off the field) and we definately had the team to win it...unfortunately we didnt and now we just have to go back next year and win it!!!.

the 2nd team came 4th (after we beat them 3-2 in the semi). and the girls team won their final very convincingly.

chrisb691
24th July 2008, 10:37 PM
Welcome back stirlo.

RufflyRustic
25th July 2008, 12:18 PM
Welcome back Stirlo! Glad to hear the trip went well. It certainly is an eyeopener travelling to a different country and experiencing their culture. What did you think of South Africa?

cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
25th July 2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome back Stirlo! Glad to hear the trip went well. It certainly is an eyeopener travelling to a different country and experiencing their culture. What did you think of South Africa?

cheers
Wendy
it certainly was an eye opener!

My initial thoughts of South africa - basically as we just got off the plane and went thru the airport were: this place is a dump:!. then as we progressed it got way better:cool:. but the poverty levels and security is unbelievable:no:. there are so many things we take for granted over here like clean tap water and electricity available.

but cape town is one hell of a city:2tsup:.love the place and cant wait to go back next year.