PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Cycle Airconditioning

Theborg
8th February 2004, 11:31 PM
I am in the process of renovating an Edwardian (currently a shack) house.

I am trying to decide which reverse cycle ducted heating/airconditioning system to use.

I don't like evaporative coolers, prefer refrigerated.

Can anyone offer some advice and point me in the right direction?

Thanx in advance.:)

soundman
8th February 2004, 11:47 PM
split system air cons are currently very popular but most people overlook the fact that they do not & can not provide any fresh air exchange.

makes ducted and the oll window rattler look more atractive.

cheers

q9
9th February 2004, 04:31 AM
I was amazed to look through the LG website...5 year warranty and relatively inexpensive. 7kW reverse cycle for around $1800 (+ installation of course). www.lge.com.au

I am getting an LG window unit tomorrow.

Other than that Panasonic make good units.

For a job like this, I recommend talking to a few of the airconditioning mechanics in your area and see what they can supply/recommend. Many times you will buy it from them and have it installed cheaper than buying one from a retailer and then getting a third party to install it.

Theva
9th February 2004, 07:06 AM
Borg,

Also consider inverter type units. They work by varying compressor speed rather than start & stop mode onf traditional compressors.

If you want to aircon more than one room, IMHO, multi head split systems are better. Brands -again IMHO Mitsubishi, Daikin then panasonic & LG are good in that order.

Capacity - Cooling capacity requirements - 1.2kw for every 10sqm of living area and 0.8 kw for 10sq m for sleeping areas.

Checkout the manufacturers websites for more info and them call in the pros.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Theva

seriph1
9th February 2004, 02:02 PM
Hi

I feel refrigerated air is the only way to go for serious aircon, though I recognise evap. is popular.....

Interested to know though, where you are situated.... and to what extent you intend to restore/renovate your Edwardian

Theborg
9th February 2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Steve, agree with your comments re refrigerated aircon. But each to their own.

I am in the North Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.

Renovation is full reno ie demolished most of the house and left with four rooms which have been stripped to the rafters. Front facade of the house has been redone and thats it. Intend to renovate original part of the house plus some of the new area as Edwardian. Kitchen, dining and living areas more modern but won't clash with Edwardian ie not ultra modern.

Lorraine

seriph1
9th February 2004, 10:08 PM
I would have several hundred photos of period architectural elements - interior and exterior. If you feel they would be helpful in your reno's sing out

Theborg
9th February 2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Steve.

Will do.

Lorraine

Tankstand
10th February 2004, 04:14 AM
Resistance is futile! :D
Go three phase, fully ducted refrigerated (with the option of gas heating as well) and as large as you can afford that will do the job. If you scrimp on it now you'll regret it later.

CraigV
10th February 2004, 05:49 PM
one piece of advice i will offer is to go to a store that has units installed and able to be turned on. The difference in the noise level is amazing at both ends of a split system, between different brands.

i was lucky to find this at a store (AGL in Sydney) and went for one of the units with the quitest head unit, could of got one a little quiter but the budget didn't stretch that far. Its supprising how load these things can be when you are on the phone, or watching the box. Just something to consider.

Good luck with the renos.

Cheers
CraigV

dale
10th February 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by seriph1
Hi

I feel refrigerated air is the only way to go for serious aircon, though I recognise evap. is popular.....

Interested to know though, where you are situated.... and to what extent you intend to restore/renovate your Edwardian

I've got evap. air conditioning in Melbourne, and I wouldn't have refigerated again. Works in all but the most humid of weather + you have windows and doors open. Do you have kids? Do you sick and tired of "Close the door!"?

You can also run them on ventilation only, so if you want to freshen the house you can turn it on for 1/2 an hour and have a full air change - also good if you've burnt something in the kitchen and need to get rid of the smoke!

It's also a lot cheaper to run. A fan and a water pump is about all there is too it.

Red neck
10th February 2004, 10:41 PM
Dale,

I lived in western Queensland for some time and found the evaporative airconditioner great in the dry heat out there, but in the higher, moist climate of the tropics it isn't much more than a ventilator - thats where the refrigerated system shines!

Personally in the sub-tropics...I get by with screen doors good insulation and ceiling fans!

Theborg
11th February 2004, 12:33 AM
Tankstand, one of the guys at work has already convinced me to go three phase and I definately want the option to have gas heating installed. Thanks for confirming what he has told me. I will 'assimilate' the advice in my electrical plans. (sorry couldn't resist);)

CraigV, great advice, didn't think of the noise aspect.

Dale, will keep an open mind on the evap.

Thanks guys, greatly appreciate the advice.

Lorraine:)