PDA

View Full Version : National Manufacturing Week - May 27-30

snowyskiesau
27th May 2008, 05:19 PM
If you want to see some really BIG machine tools, you might want to get along to NMW which is on
at Darling Harbour Exhibition Centre from the 27th to the 30th.
Registration is free and can be done online here (http://www.nationalmanufacturingweek.com.au/en-gb/75.cfm).

They have small stuff as well, you might get some ideas for your next build :)

wheelinround
27th May 2008, 08:24 PM
:C No way I am going to make it in there

the exhibitor list is impressive.
http://www.nationalmanufacturingweek.com.au/files/Exhibitor_list08052008_2.pdf

twistedfuse
29th May 2008, 09:29 AM
Hello All,

Since i knew i wasn't going to make the BBQ this was the next best thing. Im glad i organised to go. A friend and collegue of mine went and we had a blast. Lots of information for both our work and personal interest. The larger machines were unreal and the smaller ones wer great to take ideas and just to see the professional approach. Either way it was a great day. And anyone in sydney with some time off today/tomorrow i would recommend getting there and chatting with some vendors. You just might snag a deal on something or get some valuable information like router bit companies etc.

Daniel

snowyskiesau
29th May 2008, 11:53 PM
I went along today and I was mostly disappointed.

There were lots of interesting machines and some cool demos of their capabilities,
e.g. 6KW lasers cutting steel at amazing speeds, water jet cutting - which I could watch all day.
What was missing (compared to the last NMW I went to), was the small stuff.
At the last NMW display, there were lots of small companies selling stuff that a hobbyist could use - e.g. components to build a home CNC system.

Last time, the many stands from Chinese companies had product on display (often 10 differently branded versions of the same small lathe :U). This year, all they had were brochures.
I appreciate that it's an industry show for people with budgets superior to mine but still...