PDA

View Full Version : How to cut thick glass?

Wongo
9th February 2004, 02:26 PM
Can someone please guide me the right way to cut thick glass such as 4mm and 5mm. I have tried a couple of times with no success.

I use a diamond tipped cutter to cut a score line (right term??). Then clamp the glass on the workbench with a piece of wood on the score line. I just couldn’t get a clean break.

Is it the tools, technique or it is something beyond a hobbyist?

Thanks

ozwinner
9th February 2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Wongo
Is the glass toughened?
I tryed with toughened stuff once, now way it would cut.
But seeing as how you have already cut it, probably not.
I cut glass for leadlight some times, the cutter I use is a tungten wheeled one with an oil reservouir, not cheap about $60, but it always works.
Maybe you should use some kind of lubricant, such as kero, turps, light oil, etc.
Anyone can cut glass with the right tool, technique.
Hey, if I can do it so can any one else.

Cheers, Allan

BigRed
9th February 2004, 02:55 PM
I have cut a bit of glass before, but have never used the clamp that you do. Have you tried just scoring and snapping? The wood on top might be causing the problem. The glass cutters with the diamond tips are normally cheap and disposable, and seem to last only a couple of cuts, so make sure it's a new one that you are using, or if you are going to cut a few sheets, buy one of the better quality ones with the reservoir as mentioned. Mine was about NZ$35.

Wongo
9th February 2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks boys

Al:
1. The glass is not new. It is actually a mirror in my daughter’s bathroom say 20yrs old. Does it mean it is toughened?

2. I do use lubricant to cut the score line

Big Red:
1. The score is very straight and clean

I use the same technique to cut 2mm glass without any problem. It is just the thick one that I am having trouble with. But next time I will use a good cutter as you both suggested.

Scott

silentC
9th February 2004, 03:19 PM
Wongo,

In a past life, I was a glazier.

Get yourself a proper glass cutter, the kind with a small wheel that's about 4-5mm in diameter. Don't buy the ones that don't have a wheel, they're rubbish.

Get an empty shoe polish tin or similar. Put a scrap of felt or cotton waste or something absorbent in it. Dilute some oil with metho and soak the felt with it. Run your cutter back and forth on it to pick up some oil.

Mark your cut with a china graph (white) pencil and get a straight edge that is a few millimetres thick.

Hold the cutter so that it is straight up and down and perpendicular to the glass. Not like a pen. Hold it between your thumb and second finger.

Start a few millimetres in from one edge and run it smoothly along the straight edge and let it drop off the edge of the glass onto your bench. DON't run over the line again. This will stuff your cutter.

Slide the glass across so that the scribed line is directly over the edge of your bench. Grab the offcut side in both hand and push down with a sharp motion.

Tink!!

Practice on an offcut first.

:cool:

silentC
9th February 2004, 03:23 PM
Forgot to say, with thicker glass, you can lift it a little off the bench before you push down. Don't clamp it, it's not necessary and probably accounts largely for the problems you're having.

4mm and 5mm glass is actually easier to cut than 2mm.

ozwinner
9th February 2004, 03:26 PM
Hi Silent
It very hard to take you seriously with your current avatar. :D
All I can think of is Russell stuffing stuff up, glass cutter, yeah right, I bet all you did was break a window once, hey Russell. :D

Cheers, Bob

silentC
9th February 2004, 03:32 PM
Listen, when The Big Coight says he knows how to do something, he knows how to do it. I don't mess about with fiddly little kid's toys though - when I want to cut glass, I put a tile cutter blade in my circular saw and just rip through it. No mess, no fuss, plenty of blood, just the way I like it.

:D

gatiep
9th February 2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Silent

At least you'll have enough water to wash the blood off the shed floor.

I wonder who is strong enough to carry 10 L ( 10 kg) of water per km on a hot day. I suppose he'll have watering points set up every 1 km.

cya

Joe

silentC
10th February 2004, 08:43 AM
Joe,

2 litres a day on a long walk is heavy enough :(

Not to mention that you'd probably drown if you tried to drink that much water in one day!

Red neck
10th February 2004, 05:52 PM
Silent C,

Incredible mate. I have always hated cutting glass because of the possible and eventual stuff-ups. That sure was some good ‘gen’ and I’ll now tackle the task with a bit more confidence. Think I’ll pass on the circular saw and tile cutting blade for a while though!

Wongo
7th July 2004, 12:14 PM
Made 7 big picture frames (good looking 70 yr old skirting board) last week and needed to cut some glass again :( last night. I still used the cheap diamond tipped cutter but will buy a good one will wheel when this one is done.

Anyway, I put some engine oil on the tip of the cutter and ran it smoothly along a ruler once and ….tink. The first cut was perfect :eek: and then the second one and the third one ….

Suddenly glass cutting was fun and I think Silent would have been very proud of me.

Another team effort guys

Cheers :)

silentC
7th July 2004, 12:38 PM
On ya, Wongo :cool:

arose62
7th July 2004, 01:44 PM
I've heard that if you need to cut *really* thick glass, a WRX is the way to go.

Cheers,
Andrew

Wongo
7th July 2004, 01:50 PM
I've heard that if you need to cut *really* thick glass, a WRX is the way to go.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew, what is a WRX??

silentC
7th July 2004, 01:50 PM
What, a Subaru?

Wongo
7th July 2004, 01:55 PM
What, a Subaru?

:confused:

Silent, stick with the topic for the moment. We’ll talk about washing machines in a minute. :p

Rowan
8th July 2004, 11:32 AM
remembering my well spent youth, didnt bricks and glass go together in some form or another????

Ben from Vic.
8th July 2004, 12:29 PM

Cheers,
Andrew

lol, I think Andrew is talking about ram-raids. A (stolen) WRX seems to be the weapon fo chioce for the decerning thief. ;)

Ben.

arose62
8th July 2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah, some of the shopfront glass that banks use is even bulletproof!

My wife's aunt has a rear verandah that was closed in with windows that used to grace a St George branch. Couldn't cut them with a 4 y.o. on a trike!

Cheers,
Andrew

jackiew
8th July 2004, 02:22 PM
funniest ram raider story i've heard was about 20 years ago in Liverpool UK.

My boyfriend's parents lived over the road to a shop which had two sets of glass entrance doors ( i think that it had once been two shops ). One of the sets of doors didn't open because they'd built a brick wall across it on the inside - which if you were a local you would know about. From the outside at night they looked just like normal opening doors.

At some early hour someone decided to drive a car through the doors ( they were after cigarettes or booze i think ) and picked the wrong set :D.

journeyman Mick
9th July 2004, 12:20 AM
At some early hour someone decided to drive a car through the doors ( they were after cigarettes or booze i think ) and picked the wrong set :D.

Justice! :D

Mick