PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lidded bowl

wheelinround
29th May 2008, 06:24 PM
It sat forlorn on the shelf the oddest piece of camphor.
It had been microwaved for 2x3 minutes on high in a plastic bag still with the bark on, that was 4 months maybe more ago.
I found that ideal, the plastic bag retains the moisture allowing you to see how much has been removed.:2tsup::2tsup: Thanks to the forumites for this tip I think Bigshed mentioned it.

The knob is Bottle brush, all with 3 coats of Macadamia Nut Oil

Photo some with flash on other as is all taken out side

Hardenfast
29th May 2008, 07:09 PM
Nice job Wheelin'. I'm yet to attempt a hollowed vessel, or anything with a turned lid for that matter. Always something interesting with Camphor Laurel, isn't there? Nice how you've managed to cut the top off and keep it all aligned. I've seen a few large pieces of Bottle Brush laying around after yard cleanups etc - I'll have to have a closer look at it next time.

People talk about the patience required for segmented works, but I think you need more patience to work with green timbers - seasoning - microwaving - warping - returning etc. It's all too hard.

Wayne

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2008, 08:10 PM
Nice job:2tsup::2tsup:
I've yet to try this as well, one day!
I'd hide it though, as I reckon Tea Lady would want it as a sugar bowl:U
cheers

jow104
29th May 2008, 08:20 PM
No experience of turning myself but I would imagine turning such timber with that grain means you have succeeded.

wheelinround
29th May 2008, 09:19 PM
Nice job Wheelin'. I'm yet to attempt a hollowed vessel, or anything with a turned lid for that matter. Always something interesting with Camphor Laurel, isn't there? Nice how you've managed to cut the top off and keep it all aligned. I've seen a few large pieces of Bottle Brush laying around after yard cleanups etc - I'll have to have a closer look at it next time.

People talk about the patience required for segmented works, but I think you need more patience to work with green timbers - seasoning - microwaving - warping - returning etc. It's all too hard.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne couldn't have done the hollowing without my new tool which I have yet to photograph.

I hope so I have a few more bits of Camphor to go yet :wink:.

Keeping the lid aligned wasn't so much a problem as not stuffing the mating bits.:doh:

Warping I still have yet to try the side of the bowl is all natural.

<table class="tborder" style="border-top- " align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 745733" valign="top"><td class="alt1" align="center" width="125">Sawdust Maker</td> <td class="alt2"> Nice job:2tsup::2tsup:
cheers </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="thead" colspan="2">29th May 2008 06:09 PM</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ty Sawdust Maker only if Tea Lady likes the aroma of camphor in her sugar.

Jow :o you reckon

Chipman
29th May 2008, 09:38 PM
Looks good wheelinround! I am suprised that this is your first lidded bowl as from what I see your turning skills are certainly up to it and your design is good too. I am sure you will make many more. (make great gifts especially if filled with chocolates or Macadamia Nuts!)

I like your design as it is not only well proportioned, but is practical. Often you see lidded bowls (especially for woodturning competitions) with tall spires etc on them (Makes them look like something off the cartoon set of the Jetsons!) and the walls are so thin you could never actually use them.

I think there are two equally important parts to turning anything.. One is the design and functionality and the other is to make a feature of the particular piece of wood with its colour and grain. I often find it is the piece of wood that dictates what you end up turning out of it. That is one good aspect of woodturning as a hobby rather than a business.

Nice work:2tsup:

Chipman:)

littlebuddha
29th May 2008, 09:40 PM
Im a sucker for any box, i love boxes there great fun to make and you can make them out of anything, i love the knot in it, would look great with some turquise, im sure you got fun out of that piece wheeley.:2tsup: some detail on the base and the inside of the lid is good to do as well, as folk pick them up and look all over them, so its good to put the extra detail. happy boxing. LB

tea lady
29th May 2008, 09:47 PM
Nice job:2tsup::2tsup:
cheers

I don't have sugar in my tea.:rolleyes: I could think of something to go in it though, I'm sure.:2tsup: (the bowl not the tea.:doh: Just getting in before you lot.:rolleyes:)

wheelinround
29th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Im a sucker for any box, i love boxes there great fun to make and you can make them out of anything, i love the knot in it, would look great with some turquise, im sure you got fun out of that piece wheeley.:2tsup: some detail on the base and the inside of the lid is good to do as well, as folk pick them up and look all over them, so its good to put the extra detail. happy boxing. LB

LB fun it was but not all the time :roll: had me on the edge of my stool a few times
having to constantly stop to check wall thickness due to the natural impediment.
I often forgot watching it spin :doh: that it was there as eyes were looking inside

Additional detail was could still happen once the Rose Engine is finished as well as another project well under way a rocking horse for grandsons 1st birthday 8th June.

Thanks Chipman as I am mostly making for LOML and family its all hobby work

joe greiner
29th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Looks really good, wheelin'. Often the oddest and ugliest blanks have beautiful turnings hidden inside.

Joe

littlebuddha
30th May 2008, 01:53 AM
LB fun it was but not all the time :roll: had me on the edge of my stool a few times
having to constantly stop to check wall thickness due to the natural impediment.
I often forgot watching it spin :doh: that it was there as eyes were looking inside

Additional detail was could still happen once the Rose Engine is finished as well as another project well under way a rocking horse for grandsons 1st birthday 8th June.

Rose engine is one of my projects on top of the list have a couple of plans of the net and a couple of ideas, still toying with them, but looking forward to playing once i get it done. And its all fun:D Hope the horse turns out good, expect to see some pics of the birthday with the happy lad in it:2tsup: LB

lubbing5cherubs
30th May 2008, 08:21 AM
well done nice effort. That is what I really want to master
Toni

Rum Pig
30th May 2008, 09:12 AM
Well done:2tsup::2tsup: looks really good a lot better than my first and only lidded box.
I may have to give them another go :rolleyes:

ptc
30th May 2008, 10:56 AM
Looks good.
I thought it was floating in the pool at first !

Gil Jones
30th May 2008, 12:07 PM
Nice work on your first lidded bowl. :2tsup: