PDA

View Full Version : I need a hobby CNC Router

roymol
29th May 2008, 08:04 PM
I am in my senior years and have considerable experience in wood turning and electronics. Although I have the ability to build my own CNC Router machine, I may not have the time and wonder whether there is a website or company in Australia where used equipment is made available for sale. Alternatively, are there any companies or people in Australia making kits. I am considering something that would provide a 300 by 600 bed with a Z axis of up to 100mm.

Cheers, Roy

Ch4iS
29th May 2008, 10:27 PM
I have been looking for the same thing but with a different reason (lazy :D)

Nothing avaliable in australia, you can import from the US. From what I have seen the 14x25" 3 or 5" z axis from K2 isnt a bad unit. Will cost around $2000-$2500 (depending on optionals) + then all you need is the motors and cables ect. + a pc to power the bugger.

There was one guy in australia doing them his website is somewhere around here (corner stone or something) but he is no longer doing them "said he might be doing them again but it was months away when I asked not long ago"

A member might be up to building one for you.

I started collecting ages ago, and ive found it doesnt take long to build everything the time is taken up by getting everything to work with everything else, my MDF version failed and im now on to box tubing and a ton of skate bearings and so far it going great :)

PS: you can get one of the steel suppliers to weld up a frame and supports and there wouldnt be much left in terms of building it. probbaly would cost 200-300 depending on size and material used.

Greolt
30th May 2008, 08:05 AM
I don't know of anything in Aus.

Look at this machine. Nicely made. Support forum. Many happy users.

http://romaxxcnc.com/products.htm

Greg

roymol
30th May 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate that. If anyone else has other info that might be helpful, I'd certainly appreciate that also.

Roy

Ch4iS
1st June 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know of anything in Aus.

Look at this machine. Nicely made. Support forum. Many happy users.

http://romaxxcnc.com/products.htm

Greg

over a K2 setup I would personally go with the K2 unit. It has proper linear slides and ball screws. Even thou the machine itself is a good unit if I had the money I would go with the K2 version.

Just wondering but does anyone know how many steps per revolution the stepper motors are on the romaxx system.

{EDIT}
k2cnc.com or there are auctions on ebay.

appiwood
2nd July 2008, 06:17 PM
Hello group

I am working on a hobby cnc router, it will be a nominal 1000mm, 400mm by 100mm, all ball screw and steel and Aluminum construction, if they is any interest I am thinking of offering plans, plans + some parts or full machines.

I'm guessing a cost would be in the AU$3500.00 and less range. if interested post a message, pics should be ready in 6 -8 weeks.

Ed

rodm
2nd July 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Ed,
Would welcome your experiences on this site.
My only thought is at 400mm wide it might be a bit narrow for such a long X axis. Any thought to making it say 600mm wide so you can make good use of the longer axis?
I think you pricing is about right for a one metre long cut.

appiwood
2nd July 2008, 09:07 PM
Hello Rod

Of course you are right, the finished size will be bigger than 400mm but will be smaller than 600mm, the size is a bit rubbery as I'm still finishing the Y carriage layout.

The size has been determined by several factors, I am primarily a R/C flyer with an interest in CNC, most of us would be happy with a 400mm Y, bringing bits in from the States, " generally " by post there is a 1167mm length limit, so the rails and ballscrews for this build have all come via Aust' Post, I have sourced a alternate sea freighter that is not only cheaper but also in practice doesn't have a length limit.

One problem with bigger is stiffness, this machine is aimed at hobbyists and as such some compromises have to be allowed for.

Hopefully the machine will find a little aussie niche as it is but my be the basis for something better.

Ed

maddog 62
26th July 2008, 10:56 PM
hello ed
if you do ahead with your venture i could be interstred in one, it would be a lot easier than me trying to make one off the top of my head

bsrlee
27th July 2008, 08:09 PM
OK, it is an import, but it only needs a 24 volt power supply & uses a readily available router (Bosch Colt) that comes in 240 volts - the 'Shark' CNC router. $US 2,300 + P&P, there is also a bigger unit for another $1000 or so.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19441

Anyone heard if its is a good (or bad) unit?

John H
19th November 2008, 06:53 PM
Hello group

I am working on a hobby cnc router, it will be a nominal 1000mm, 400mm by 100mm, all ball screw and steel and Aluminum construction, if they is any interest I am thinking of offering plans, plans + some parts or full machines.

I'm guessing a cost would be in the AU$3500.00 and less range. if interested post a message, pics should be ready in 6 -8 weeks.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Are you still going ahead with this? I was talking to a workmate about my CNC machines and he was keen to get a machine that is in kit form or ready to go.