PDA

View Full Version : 6 Cutting Edge Pen Mill

PenTurner
30th May 2008, 06:50 PM
:)I have LONG wanted something like this, often, with some of the woods and some Xcuts I have damaged the blank because the 4 edge type mill grabbed or vibrated too much, finally, through Addictive (Froggie) was able to get a 6 Cutting Edge Pen Mill, I immediately tried it on 8 different types of wood and in each case it was smooth and easy and did a far better job. In fact if 8 heads was possible it would be good for some of the finer work, but this 6 head beats the 4 head hands down. I have photographed both to show the difference, if you get one please let me know your opinion, Amos:)

chrisb691
30th May 2008, 07:03 PM
Looks good Amos.

-Did it come with a range of tube adapters?
-How much?
-Is Froggie stocking them?

weisyboy
30th May 2008, 07:53 PM
i would also like to know.

Penpal
30th May 2008, 08:19 PM
What a neat idea, I always use my unit by hand as a firm believer that a hand drill or lathe can be too savage, also using the sanding disk to get to the brass saves a lot of damage and my milling the last bit is purely to face check and minor corrections, seems futile to me seeing the deep cuts made by mills, simply fraught with risk of chipping.
Agree with your comments and full marks Brett for his cooperation.

Regards Peter:2tsup:

corbs
31st May 2008, 10:48 AM
Looks like a good idea. Is that something that Brett is going to stock or a special order thing? I am probably going to need a new cutter soon as the grub screw in the one I have isn't tightening up tight anymore.

Corbs

handyrn
31st May 2008, 05:43 PM
I would be interested in such a cutter. Are they going to be available?
Cindy

PenTurner
31st May 2008, 07:53 PM
As far as I know, Addictive Pen Kits has them in stock for $8.95, those are the cutting head only that will go onto the standard fitting that you may have already, I know I beat his Website posting because I was asking about them while doing another order and he had only just got them. Amos

petersemple
2nd June 2008, 05:21 PM
What diameter is the 6 cutter mill? I currently use a 3/4" mill which is larger than the standard mills available, but great for doing the fatter pens.

Thanks

Peter

Froggie40
2nd June 2008, 09:38 PM
Pete,
The cutter heads are 19mm (3/4") just like the one you have.

Froggie

petersemple
3rd June 2008, 10:44 AM
Pete,
The cutter heads are 19mm (3/4") just like the one you have.

Froggie

Hmmm, I imagin postage on just one cutter head would be a waste. Might have to put a whole order together I guess....

Thanks'

Peter

etepperman
21st June 2008, 07:39 AM
But, how does one sharpen that. With the 4 blade I can corner it around my cutting stone on the grinder. i don't think that would be possible with the less than 90 degree angle created by 6 blades. Any thoughs on how to sharpen?

Thanks,
E

Mobil Man
21st June 2008, 07:57 AM
Froggie--Do you know who has them in the USA?

Simomatra
21st June 2008, 09:17 AM
But, how does one sharpen that. With the 4 blade I can corner it around my cutting stone on the grinder. i don't think that would be possible with the less than 90 degree angle created by 6 blades. Any thoughs on how to sharpen?

Thanks,
E

All can be sharpened with a sharpened with a Dremel and the the right attachment. Set it up in the lathe.

Although this is in a metal lathe a wood lathe can be adapted.

Carbide tipped are now available as well.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32318&SearchTerms=carbide,tipped,end,mill

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/penmillsharpening.pdf

Matt88s
21st June 2008, 11:58 AM
I need to get one of those, looks like it would work much better. :2tsup:

PenTurner
21st June 2008, 12:35 PM
I now have had a good chance to use it over a wide range of pens and woods :2tsup:and how I wish I had one of these much earlier, Amos:)

wheelinround
22nd June 2008, 11:49 AM
:2tsup: Thanks for all the info will have to check and see which one Brett gave us either the 4 or 6

Edit LOML just checked her pen mill its a 6 whooo hooo says she thanks Brett