PDA

View Full Version : Just another bit of wood

littlebuddha
31st May 2008, 02:32 AM
Cherry box with ebonised lid finial size 23cm x 11.5 approx
I was given a load of cherry last week so cut it up for blanks and this little bit was just an end cut was going to throw then
thought i would turn and see what the wood looked like, glad i did now. How many have i thrown. LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Claw Hama
31st May 2008, 07:53 AM
Nice work, I haven't seen a spire like that since last time I went Church.
Oww:zap:

wheelinround
31st May 2008, 08:14 AM
23cm LB thats a long spire whole thing looks good:2tsup::2tsup:

Have yet to set up a steady to do such as that:doh:

littlebuddha
31st May 2008, 08:44 AM
23cm LB thats a long spire whole thing looks good:2tsup::2tsup:

Have yet to set up a steady to do such as that:doh:

You don't need a steady for that size just use your fingers for surport:2tsup:LB THANKS

OGYT
31st May 2008, 09:30 AM
LB, that's dynamite! Like the shape on that bottom, too! 23cm is pretty tall!

artme
31st May 2008, 09:38 AM
to inspire!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
31st May 2008, 10:48 AM
Nice:2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
31st May 2008, 12:19 PM
LB,
Real nice work and techniques.
I like the Cherry, and you did an excellent job ebonizing the top.

Mrs Woodpecker
31st May 2008, 06:27 PM
Very elegant. :2tsup::2tsup:

littlebuddha
1st June 2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks for all the good comments people its always nice to get them, although cheques are better cash if you insist:D, but thanks, im thinking of leaving the wife and moving into the shop full time:wink: LB

Jarrahrules
1st June 2008, 08:58 AM
top job.

Stryker223
4th June 2008, 08:45 AM
Beautiful turning LittleBuddha!!!!
How do you turn ebony so fine?
I have some that I've turned round but haven't finished because I can't get it to smooth out. The grain keeps coming up on it. Am I running the lathe too fast you think?
Take care!
Michael
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=16360)

littlebuddha
4th June 2008, 07:30 PM
Beautiful turning LittleBuddha!!!!
How do you turn ebony so fine?
I have some that I've turned round but haven't finished because I can't get it to smooth out. The grain keeps coming up on it. Am I running the lathe too fast you think?
Take care!
Michael

Michael one the piece you are looking at is not ebony its that it has been made to look like it. I do use ebonies of different types but have no real trouble with it, i even use it for threaded inserts on some of my special boxes, how you are getting grain to come up as you say, i have no idea, are you sure that it is ebony. The only problem i have ever heard anyone complain of with ebony is that it splits on them, this is genrally from making pens and such where they drill it get it warm then put something inside like the brass and then the wood cools and splits because it has nowhere to go. If i could afford it i would turn ebony all the time it is great to wook and the finish is easy and great. the speed of the lathe should no make a difference to you turning the ebony. LB

Stryker223
5th June 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks LB!
I don't know what the problem is!
Guess I'll resharpen my chisels and give it another try! :)
Michael