PDA

View Full Version : New machine

Exador
31st May 2008, 08:55 AM
As part f our move to new premises, we've acquired the use of a Shopbot PRT Alpha (I think that's the model) with a 3 x 1.5m bed and 5hp spindle. The owner was previously using it to cut out ply for some boat builds. He doesn't actually know much about the machine other than how to turn it on and run pre-generated part files. I've been able to work out a few bits and pieces like slab planing and a couple of plain signs, but I could really do with someone who knows their way around the wonderful world of CNC routing to give me some pointers.

Is there anyone in the Brisvegas area who might be interested in having a little fun with the machine and passing on a bit of info to yours truly? At the moment I don't have much software for the thing other than Part Wizard and autocad so a recommendation on that score would be nice as well. I expect the main use of the machine will be in turning out furniture components and the like, along with some signs and bits and pieces.

If anyone has any suggestions in regard to products or wants work done, drop me a pm or call 0400 455 705.

crocky
31st May 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Can't offer much help except maybe http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/discus.cgi they are bound to know something about it :)

Exador
1st June 2008, 07:06 AM
thanks for that, mate. I've done a fair amount of searching around on the net, but there's nothing like having someone who knows what they're doing show you something.

BobL
1st June 2008, 10:59 AM
As part f our move to new premises, we've acquired the use of a Shopbot PRT Alpha (I think that's the model) with a 3 x 1.5m bed and 5hp spindle.

Sounds good Craig. Pity I'm not closer otherwise I definitely be up for a butchers". It will be interesting to see what shapes you turn out. Don't forget to post some pics when you do.

Cheers

thkoutsidthebox
1st June 2008, 11:27 AM
On the software front you can't go far wrong with the Vectric products: http://www.vectric.com/

They have a good forum aswell:
http://vectric.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=868dd0be6c2a669f3d0396979a16cd5f

Not affiliated, just a very happy customer. :)

Exador
3rd June 2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the recommendation on vectric. I was considering Vcarve pro, have you used it? What I hope to do is produce drawings with Autocad and then use the vcarve software (or something else) to produce the toolpaths. Is that the way to go, or am I better off looking for a stand-alone cad/cam package?

I'll be sure to post some pics, Bob, whichever way I go. I must say, as a very impatient woodworker, these machines seem like manna from heaven. I can cut and shape the legs for one of my "pub" chairs in around an hour using conventional gear and this thing will do 10 in that time, and the seats as well! I'm very lucky, really, as there's no way I could afford the $40k or so this thing costs.

WillyInBris
3rd June 2008, 08:48 AM
Bloody hell and I just moved out of Brisbane :(( oh well ya get that.

Vcarve is excellent software more or less a cad-cam program made all into one and for the price well its a must have.

It really depends want you want to do first make signs, furniture.

I would start with making signs with the vectric software learn how to use all the features its a very valuable tool.

Or you could just sell it to me :D

crocky
3rd June 2008, 09:32 AM
Well with vectric you would have access to a beta tester too so that would be handy to have. I have vcarve pro and photovcarve and I would never go to anything else.

Rod in Perth is the beta tester.

Greolt
3rd June 2008, 07:49 PM
Craig

If you are accustomed to using Autocad for your drawing you will find the drawing tools in Vcarve Pro to be a bit limited.

If you have not used much CAD you will think they are great but they are really fairly basic.

I use Vcarve Pro all the time but I would not draw anything but the most basic shapes with it.

Having said that I could not recommend it highly enough. Great user interface and it is a pleasure to use.

You will not be sorry if you go with it. Download the trial and have a look.

Greg

Exador
4th June 2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks Greolt. I'm not committed to autocad especially and let's face it, it's way over spec for drawing up a bit of furniture, but I'm used to it. I hve d/l a copy of the vcarve demo and I quite like it, so it looks like that's next on the shopping list for sure.

Thanks to all for the help, no doubt I'll be back on screaming for more as this project progresses

TallTony
8th June 2008, 09:29 PM
Craig,

If you have any problems with the Shopbot give me a call. I have been using one for about 4 years.

It sounds like a good deal.

VCarve pro is pretty good but it is limited in drawing as was already mentioned. Is is very simple however to draw in autocad and then toolpath in Vcarve the main problem is that all your vectors should be closed in Autocad before you try to toolpath them in Vcarve. Also spline all curves drawn in AutoCad or you will be very disappointed with the cut quality.

Regards
David

Exador
9th June 2008, 07:52 AM
Hi David, thanks for the offer of help, although you might regret it :doh:. I'm trying out mastercam at the moment to see if that will do what I need without the need to translate from one proggy to another. I expect vCarve will still be on the shopping list for signs and such, though.

The machine I have is only 3 axis as set up, but it looks like it could be expanded to 5 axis without too much trouble other than installing the additional output-side gear and updating the firmware. Are you aware if that's the case with these machines, or is it likely to require a new controller? The previous user was only cutting sheet product and was really only using 2.5 axes, as the z was only used for piercing - not shaping.

TallTony
9th June 2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Craig,

Shopbot have the ability to drive another two axes by adding new controllers to the control box and plugging them in and altering a few settings in the software. Most use the auxillary axis to control drills and or rotary indexers (a lathe). You will find that most of your work can be done with simply three axis and good software. I have seen a twenty one foot high 3D horse cut on a ShopBot.

You will find with the shopbot that the control software is very simple to use but it lacks some of the features of Mach3, still it will do everything asked of it.

I don't know what you will be cutting with yours but we cut a very diverse range of products and jobs. We do a lot of work for Shopfitters, cabinet makers, and exhibition companies. We also do short production runs for manufacturers who have their own CNC but it is too expensive or too time consuming for them to stop their normal production. We have done a lot of work with designers, taking their concepts through to production, tweaking their designs and producing the prototypes.

Mastercam is excellent software, very robust and reliable. It is however very expensive. We tried several different CAD/CAM packages before settling upon ArtCamPro. I also sometimes use VCarve4.6. For straight CAD I use TurboCAD.

I know there are a lot of VCarve fans on this forum but I have found that it is lacking in so many ways. The quality of the output is also suspect. We used to regularly use it for sign work and recently for some obscure reason I toolpathed the same job in both ArtCam and VCarve, the difference in the subsequent sign was astronomical. The quality of the of the Artcam sign was far superior to that from VCarve. I then spent a day testing and comparing the two and I now hardly ever use VCArve.

As I said earlier if you have any problems give me a call.

David

rodm
9th June 2008, 11:48 AM
David,
Interested to know what the differences were between Artcam and Vcarve.

WillyInBris
9th June 2008, 02:51 PM
Hi David
Isn't ArtCamPro in the $8k + Range and you still have to pay for the yearly software and support upgrades be interested to find out how much that costs.

I would also like to be filled in on the issues you had with Vcarve could you show us some pics of what you mean :D.

Maybe a new thread would be good on that.

Sean

TallTony
10th June 2008, 11:48 PM
Yes ArtCam is expensive but nearly everyday I am glad my wife made me buy it.

V Carve is fine but attached (I hope) is one photo showing an extra pimple in a sign. It turns out that there were extra vectors between the "r" and "s". Where did they come from? I have no idea especially when the original was simple text, no other graphics or any other form of drawing in the file. The file was created entirely in VCarve. This job had to be re done which is expensive.

This extraneous adding of vectors is a great frustration and the times it has happened I have not been able to replicate it, yet but I am getting there.

I will post a couple of photos of some comparisons between ArtCam and VCarve but it will have to wait until after this week as the CNC is currently working 12 hours per day and my old bones need sleep.

VCarve is a very good package and it does a lot of things very well but it does not produce the same quality of output that can be produced in ArtCam. Perhaps my perceptions would be different if I had started with VCarve and not ArtCam.

My two bob's worth.

Regards,
David