PDA

View Full Version : Different kind of Coffee Scoop

OGYT
1st June 2008, 10:12 AM
For those of you interested in the Coffee Scoops, a friend, Gil Jones, provided me with this link: http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/page67.html
It's Ruth Niles demonstrating a different kind of scoop. More detailed, and I think much prettier. But I'll bet she doesn't sell them for 10 bucks. :D Check it out. :2tsup:

coffenup
1st June 2008, 10:41 AM
nice coffee scoops
regards Michael:D:D

Claw Hama
1st June 2008, 10:58 AM
Yes very neet has given me some ideas.:U

Hardenfast
3rd June 2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Al - interesting link. I like the way she uses the different segments to make it appear as if the actual scoop is fitted inside a loop at the end of the handle.

I'm also impressed with her use of the dreaded skew chisel in rounding the square timber. A bit puzzled by "burnishing the outside with the bevel of the skew."

Haven't heard/seen anything about this technique before. What's that all about?

Wayne

Manuka Jock
3rd June 2008, 10:06 AM
They are very tidy pieces indeed .
I am also interested in seeing this ,
"Ruth also showed the eyeglass frames she turns for an optician."

wooden specs ? :)

Frank&Earnest
3rd June 2008, 01:01 PM
Very nice Al. You said yours were a derivation from a honey dip, these are a derivation from a gavel... and as for a gavel (having made one and made this mistake) it is very difficult to drill freehand on the round and get the hole for the handle precisely radial. If it were me, I would predrill the square billet with a drill press, much better chance of getting it right.

RETIRED
3rd June 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks Al - interesting link. I like the way she uses the different segments to make it appear as if the actual scoop is fitted inside a loop at the end of the handle.

I'm also impressed with her use of the dreaded skew chisel in rounding the square timber. A bit puzzled by "burnishing the outside with the bevel of the skew."

Haven't heard/seen anything about this technique before. What's that all about?

WayneBy applying more pressure to the bevel against the imber and taking a very light cut, the timber is burnished.

Very nice Al. You said yours were a derivation from a honey dip, these are a derivation from a gavel... and as for a gavel (having made one and made this mistake) it is very difficult to drill freehand on the round and get the hole for the handle precisely radial. If it were me, I would predrill the square billet with a drill press, much better chance of getting it right.This might help Frank.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=12680

Frank&Earnest
4th June 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks . Looks like we have applied the same principle to two different problems. I made it (using steel, of course!) to guide the gouge for hollowing: www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=569765 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=569765)

Now I know I can use it to guide the drill also! :2tsup:

Can you see any problem with predrilling the square billet, when only one hole is needed?

powderpost
4th June 2008, 10:58 PM
In a previous life, I turned a few chair legs on a regular basis. To get the splayed holes for the rails at the same angle consistently, I bored the holes in the square stock before turning to shape. I use the same procedure for candelabras gavel and mallet heads.
Jim

RETIRED
4th June 2008, 11:40 PM
In a previous life, I turned a few chair legs on a regular basis. To get the splayed holes for the rails at the same angle consistently, I bored the holes in the square stock before turning to shape. I use the same procedure for candelabras gavel and mallet heads.
JimSame here.

powderpost
5th June 2008, 12:01 AM
I sometimes 'burnish' a spindle with the flat side of the skew for flats and beads and use the back of a 'gouge' to burnish coves.
Jim