PDA

View Full Version : Banjo . . .

Pat
1st June 2008, 01:32 PM
Well I finally got of the gluteus maximus and changed my lathe's (Teknatool TL1000/8S) configuration to allow outboard turning . . . spent yesterday fooling around with motor location, head location, outboard frame location, then decided to round some oversize square blanks (300mm +) (No Bandsaw as yet :) ). So I played with a Silky Oak blank yesterday, then a Blackwood blank this morning . . . then I grabbed a Euro Beech Blank, part of a slab I got from Mal at the Kiama Show. Roughly 310mm square. Threw it up onto the head, started turning at 300rpm, thump, thump, thump for a little while then Thwack. Turned off the beastie and stood away from the decelerating lump and saw the head of my banjo on the ground.

After recovering from the initial shock :o and check the undergarments :B for soiling, I had a look at the banjo. The cast iron had fractured in line with the outboard arm.

So the big question is where do I get a replacement? Are there steel versions? Had a look at the usual suspects, Jim, Carbatec, Vermac etc but could not see a Banjo.

Ps the puppy is not the problem:U

DJ’s Timber
1st June 2008, 01:55 PM
I'd fire an email off to Jim, he can normally source spare parts for most lathes :2tsup:

hughie
1st June 2008, 03:14 PM
Pat,

If all else fails your banjo can be repaired by welding with a TIG welding set up. It will be as strong if not stronger than the original.
I have broken my tool rest twice and have had it repaired OK.

Pat
1st June 2008, 03:39 PM
Pat,

If all else fails your banjo can be repaired by welding with a TIG welding set up. It will be as strong if not stronger than the original.
I have broken my tool rest twice and have had it repaired OK.

I should have thought of that. I got a trunnion fixed by a old mate from the surf club. I'll see how I go.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st June 2008, 07:11 PM
If you do end up going the path of sourcing a new one, it may be worth either thinking about buying a second one while you're at it (finances willing, of course) or fixing the broken one as well.

Not so much as an emergency replacement, but 'cos a 2nd banjo can be used to support an extra-long toolrest, or is a quick way to mount a DC hose for "up close" dust extraction and still move it easily, or...

ie. it's one o' those handy things to have. :;

joe greiner
1st June 2008, 10:12 PM
If you do end up going the path of sourcing a new one, it may be worth either thinking about buying a second one while you're at it (finances willing, of course) or fixing the broken one as well.

Not so much as an emergency replacement, but 'cos a 2nd banjo can be used to support an extra-long toolrest, or is a quick way to mount a DC hose for "up close" dust extraction and still move it easily, or...

ie. it's one o' those handy things to have. :;

Sure is. A little like clamps. Oh, I guess it IS a clamp of sorts.

Anyway, outboard turning puts a horrendous load on the banjo because of the long reach. I have yet to attempt using the elbow contraption that came with my HF34706 (similar to MC900), because it looks like a disaster in waiting. Our WT club's proprietor has a free-standing tool rest to use on a great big metal lathe for outboard woodturning. The next meeting is Tuesday (03 June 2008) evening - that'd be noonish Wednesday in Oz. I'll make a note to myself to photograph it, and hope I remember to bring my camera and to read the note.

Also, I think there's been some discussion here about outboard tool rests in the past few months. Google is your friend.

Joe

bowl-basher
1st June 2008, 10:22 PM
Pat
That banjo can be welder wit an arc welder using "cast craft 100" electrodes or ant other brand of pure nickel electrode (ENCI class)
plenty of preheat and cool it down real slow In fact i would use SWBO's oven have it on high abd bring it down over 4-5 hours should be as strong as new
Bowl Basher

OGYT
2nd June 2008, 08:50 AM
Grizzly toolrests should be an exact replacement... at least those for the G5979 ought to fit. :D

wheelinround
4th June 2008, 04:06 PM
Pat just saw this thread I think McJings had banjos for sale I checked the web site couldn't find one listed.

RETIRED
4th June 2008, 04:56 PM
Pat. It doesn't look like the original banjo supplied with the 1000. They were cast aluminium from memory.

hughie
4th June 2008, 06:06 PM
They were cast aluminium from memory.

If that the case go for a cast iron one. Aluminium failure rate is way greater then cast iron.

Pat
4th June 2008, 09:25 PM
Pat. It doesn't look like the original banjo supplied with the 1000. They were cast aluminium from memory.

, it is the one that came with the outboard turning arm. The cast Al banjo is in one piece, still attached to the bar:U

I am investigating the possibility of a dedicated outboard tool rest. I can get the steel pipe, plate steel base and can get it welded. Just got to find a plan. I'll have a look at the usual suspects as I could not find a plan on the BB.

joe greiner
4th June 2008, 09:53 PM
My inline memory belt must've slipped a cog before I wrote post #6, but at least it worked last night. The lathe isn't a "great big metal lathe;" it's an old Oliver pattern-maker's lathe. I had the film speed set too low to avoid jitters in any pix of the lathe, but I got a reasonably good pic of the outboard tool support. It came with the lathe. The tripod legs looked about 5/8" x 4" steel strap. I didn't try moving it, but one of our members turned a platter almost a metre in diameter a while back, so I guess it's heavy enough.

Joe