PDA

View Full Version : router won't keep setup height

boxerjan
2nd June 2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks for any and all help! I have a Worx WX15RT Plunge router. I'm trying to set it up in my Triton router table. No problems doing that except the bit won't stay at the height I set it at. While routing it shifts on its own in either direction (higher/lower). I've made sure that all height adjustments both coarse and fine are tight but it still won't work. I've spent 2 days working on this problem and I'm quite frustrated. I'm also very new to this so perhaps all routers do this? Anyone have any ideas? I've read that there is a plunge spring in a Triton router that gets removed, perhaps there is one in this router that I should remove. Any ideas how to do that? I'll only ever use this as a table router.:~

Ron Dunn
2nd June 2008, 11:51 PM
Is it the router bit moving in the collett, or the router body moving?

boxerjan
2nd June 2008, 11:57 PM
I've tried pushing and prodding both bit and body (power off) but frankly I can't really tell. I've watched the bit when switched on but it seems to be okay. I can run one 15 cm wide pine board through for a straight cut and part way through a second board the height changes continually.

rayintheuk
3rd June 2008, 12:07 AM
I've tried pushing and prodding both bit and body (power off) but frankly I can't really tell.
Fit a cutter and tighten it. Make a small mark on the shaft with a scribe or craft knife blade. Do a couple of cuts.

If the cutter moves out of the collet, you'll see your mark further from the collet nut.

If you can't see your original mark, make another one, then remove the bit - you should now see two marks if the bit has moved into the shaft.

Either way, it will tell you if the bit is moving. If it is, I'd suspect that you're not tightening it enough. HTH :)

Ray.

watson
3rd June 2008, 12:10 AM
G'day boxerjan,
if your bit is "bottomed" in the collet this will cause height changes. When you insert the bit, bottom it then raise it just a tad off the bottom. Tighten the collet with the bit in this position. Usually fixes the problem.

boxerjan
3rd June 2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm heading out to the shed now to remove it from the table and try all suggestions. I'll post my results.:)

Judging by all the scoring on the bit shaft I would say the collet isn't tight enough. To late to run it tonight so I'll have to give it a go in the morning.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2008, 01:42 AM
FWIW, if the bit's shaft is scored badly enough I'd be inclined to toss it. This is for two reasons:

Being scored, it'll have "high spots" which will make it difficult to tighten securely in the future and the bit will always have a tendency to slip in the collet. As it is scored, it's most likely only a cheap bit in the first place. As with most things, you only get the quality you pay for...

Cruzi
3rd June 2008, 07:24 AM
If the bit isn't moving, vibration may cause the router to move.

Even when seemingly locked into position the vibration is enough to make a router move (I've watched the fine adjustment screw rotate when the vibration is bad).

Good news is, vibration is mostly caused by too higher speeds for the bit, slow down the router until it runs smoothly. This of course will not help bent or waay out of balance bits, but in most cases it works.

boxerjan
3rd June 2008, 02:18 PM
Well it's amazing what you can do with a router when you tighten the collet properly. Thank you to all that gave me great advice. I've thrown away the old bit, made sure it isn't bottoming out, stabilized the table and read Ray's router article.

Now if I can prove the worth of having a router the hubby may let me buy a Trition for Christmas (so much easier to change cutters/bits when installed in the table)

Again thanks so much!!:2tsup:

Bob38S
4th June 2008, 11:04 AM
With regards the bottoming out - I drop a "Fattish" O ring down the hole when in table mode and when hand held I have a stand which inverts the router and allows all bits and pieces to be done with out holding the machine with one hand and trying to do all else with the other.

Not familiar with the Worx machine but for most of the others that require a spanner[s] - toss the cut metal plate spanners and use a couple of quality spanners of appropriate length to tighten sufficiently with out overtightening and avoiding the skinning of your knuckles.

Regards,
Bob

gilbo
5th June 2008, 08:40 AM
I had a similar problem with my old GMC router in a triton table. I decided it was the vibrations causing the problem. I fixed it by putting a sheet of old carpet on the ground and stood the whole table on top. This seems to absorb a lot of the vibration.

boxerjan
9th June 2008, 12:38 PM
Good idea gilbo - thanks