PDA

View Full Version : My Clocks

Fireguard
3rd June 2008, 02:38 AM
G'day Guys,

I thought i would post a few pics of some of the clocks that I've done... Unfortunately the superglossy finish doesn't photograph too well.

They're all polished wood (mostly mallee slices) finished with either Glass coat or Clear Gloss with inbedded weather instriments or photos etc.

They've mostly been done as gifts for people, the first one i did as a wedding anniversary prezzy for the Wife

Rgds
Rob

billym
3rd June 2008, 08:24 AM
They look great.I really like number 3.IMHO they are a bit to shiny,If iIowned one I would wipe it over this WD40 on a rag.I have found this cuts down the glare without harming the finish.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Chipman
3rd June 2008, 09:57 AM
Looking good Firey,:2tsup:

Really nice bits of mallee burl. Yes I have heard that some don't like the really glossy look (a bit plasticy looking) but others love it. It is very good of you to be making gifts as nice as that for people!:2tsup:

Keep on clocking!

Chipman (an obsessed clockmaker too!):D

wheelinround
3rd June 2008, 10:20 AM
I like them

the finish can you enlighten me more I thought that that was a resin finish

Fireguard
3rd June 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, yes the finish in a type of resin, I've tried a couple of different ones but this is the one I'm sticking with now http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=111_11750 Once dry the clocks are pretty glossy, but not overly so, they just dont photograph very well.
The good thing with using this stuff is that you can inbed things in it, the dial numbers are actually stuck to the bare wood and then the finish is applied over the top sealling them in (on the first one i stuck the numbers on top, but they kept falling off :~ )

The third one is also one of my favourites, it was a surprise gift for my Sister in law and the photos are of her kids (ie my nephews and neice)

speedwayjb36
4th July 2008, 12:44 AM
Hi Fireguard, I'm new to this game. I've been doing some work with raw wood, basically enhancing natural features rather than carving and would like to try making a clock for a birthday present.
Can you tell me where you get the blank slabs that you use on your clocks?
Kind regards, John.

Fireguard
4th July 2008, 04:35 PM
G'day John,

I usually get my Mallee slices from Carba-tec in Balcatta. They vary in cost depending on the size, the wood for my latest clock cost me about $14. The only thing is the pieces arn't very thick (about an Inch). But there was a bloke at the woodworking show last year selling thicker peices. The first one i did is about 2-3 inches thick and only cost be about $30. And personally i like the thicker one because there is more of an edge with barky type bits that contrasts nicely to the face.

Hopefully the wood bloke will be at the show again this year, I'm definately going to have a look. 8-9-10 August 2008, at the Showgrounds.

http://www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au/WAWoodShow.htm

speedwayjb36
5th July 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply. I'll check in at Carba-tec next time I'm up in Perth, unfortunately that won't be until the 15th August, so I'll miss the show.
Regards John.

Fireguard
5th July 2008, 11:27 PM
Hopefully the wood bloke will be there again this year, If i remember I'll try and grab a business card and post his details... Dont quote me on this but from memory I "think" the bloke was based somewhere around Ongerup.