PDA

View Full Version : Table: Drill Press

Groggy
3rd June 2008, 05:31 PM
Well, it only took a year and a half but I finally finished it. I built the table out of chipboard and some scrap laminex I had, the fence is from the same material. The slot out of the back is to allow the table to tilt.

The bolt was ground on the grinder to fit and the inserts are disposable (hence the spares)

EDIT: The depth of the insert hole is 19mm to match mdf offcuts.

watson
3rd June 2008, 05:45 PM
Very Schmick Greg !!!! Even salubrious!

wheelinround
3rd June 2008, 05:49 PM
Nice work Groggy :2tsup:

Good things take time

hitch
3rd June 2008, 05:52 PM
Nice one Groggy, thanks for showing us.

One of those things I was always going to do but never got around to it. Late last year I purchased an el cheapo. Notas well put together as yours but ok for my use for now.

enjoy.

Waldo
3rd June 2008, 06:00 PM
G'day Groggy,

Top idea. What affect does the top add to the weight of the d/press table, (assuming the the d/press table is cast iron)?

Groggy
3rd June 2008, 06:32 PM
G'day Groggy,

Top idea. What affect does the top add to the weight of the d/press table, (assuming the the d/press table is cast iron)?Can't say I have noticed any weight issues. I use one of the Terry Gosschalk/Piric design Easy Risers and it still functions perfectly :shrug: .

Groggy
3rd June 2008, 06:40 PM
Very Schmick Greg !!!! Even salubrious!Thanks Noel!

Good things take timeSometimes, too much time :-

One of those things I was always going to do but never got around to it. We need more of those round tuits, maybe I should make some?

Stuart
3rd June 2008, 11:06 PM
Did you get envious Greg? ;)

http://stusshed.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/pict7695.jpg?w=400&h=266

:D

WoodJunky
3rd June 2008, 11:45 PM
great job Groggy:2tsup:

I agree with wheelinround, Good things always take time

Groggy
4th June 2008, 11:31 AM
Did you get envious Greg? ;)I honestly don't know Stu, I started mine well over 12-18 months ago and had planned to make it for years before that, back to the mid '90s when I was doing a job where it would have been really handy. How long have you had yours? Did you make it or buy it? Mine cost $2 for the material plus fittings, so about $20 all up I guess. I also have one of those fences laying around too, I might dig that out as well.

Stuart
4th June 2008, 11:42 AM
Just kidding - I've only had it for a few weeks, and it is one from PWS - been reviewing it.

Groggy
4th June 2008, 11:53 AM
Just kidding - I've only had it for a few weeks, and it is one from PWS - been reviewing it.So what are your thoughts on it? I am also interested in how it attaches underneath (any chance of a pic?).

zelk
4th June 2008, 12:09 PM
Did you get envious Greg? ;)

http://stusshed.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/pict7695.jpg?w=400&h=266

:D

If I may make a suggestion :roll:
Zelk

jmk89
4th June 2008, 12:13 PM
Good work Groggy.
Stuart, I would also be interested in how it attaches to the standard table. My DP is a tiny Ryobi Bench model and if I put anything under the bench I lose a lot of my drilling height, so I have attached mine with pressure screws to the side of the table. It works, but not the best.

Wongo
4th June 2008, 12:54 PM
Groggy,

Good work mate. Very clean and I like it.:D

What is the router plane for? :p

Groggy
4th June 2008, 03:55 PM
Groggy,

Good work mate. Very clean and I like it.:DThanks Wongo.

What is the router plane for? :pI use it to clean up the bottom of Domino holes, you should try it sometime :D:D:D

BobL
4th June 2008, 09:50 PM
Nice work Groggy - must be post of the week at least!

Stuart
10th June 2008, 12:28 PM
I've shot a video of the table last night, so that should be available soon (possibly today).

My mounting solution looses a fair bit of height on my table because I needed to raise it up to clear the height winder handle. However the solution would work without the MDF spacers for those who need the extra height.

I forgot to mention Zelk's contribution - meant to. I like the concept!

Bodgia
10th June 2008, 04:54 PM
I made a very similar table a while ago and had lots of trouble trying to attach it to the existing table. I ended up simply removing the cast iron table that came with the DP and putting a length of T Track along the bottom of my home made table. I then got a T bolt long enough to go through the mounting ring and put a piece of hardwood and a knob on the end. When I want to change back to the cast iron table I just loosen the knob, slide my table along the T Track and off the T bolt and re-insert the cast iron table. The pictures probably explain it better than I can.

Stuart
10th June 2008, 05:12 PM
I went for retaining the standard drillpress table, and having 4 bolts that engage in some track placed on the bottom of the table. I didn't recess the track, but that is certainly an option.

zelk
10th June 2008, 06:02 PM
I went for retaining the standard drillpress table, and having 4 bolts that engage in some track placed on the bottom of the table. I didn't recess the track, but that is certainly an option.

I like it!
Zelk

martink
11th June 2008, 02:08 AM
I've noticed on all of these tables (and others I've seen in the past) that the corners where the sacrificial insert goes are actually drilled out round hole rather than a neat squared corner.

What's the rationale behind this?

Ta,

M.

Bodgia
11th June 2008, 11:08 AM
I think it's just because people use a jigsaw to cut out the insert and drill four holes at the corners to saw from/to.

Groggy
11th June 2008, 11:08 AM
I've noticed on all of these tables (and others I've seen in the past) that the corners where the sacrificial insert goes are actually drilled out round hole rather than a neat squared corner.

What's the rationale behind this?

Ta,

M.It is so you can get a fingernail under the corner and lift the insert out easily. The inserts are disposable but a firm fit so they don't lift with the bit (theoretically).

jmk89
11th June 2008, 11:20 AM
I use a different system for the sacrificial element. My replaceable plate is a circle of 1/8" ply - easy to cut out using a hole saw. The rebated space it fits in is an off-centre matching circle. Why off-centre? When the ply has a few holes in it, turn it through 60 degrees and you have a clean space ready. After 5 turns, throw it out and put in a new one. Easy-peasy.

My next DP Table accessory will be a hinged table which will attach to the basic DP tabkle that I have and hinge along the back axis. This will make it easier to drill angled holes than using the rotating table fitted to the DP (which tightens with a screw under the metal table which is v hard to get to). Also combining the hinged table with the rotating metal table will allow holes skewed in two directions to be drilled.

A version of the hinged table is in Robert Wearing's book on jigs.

Doughboy
11th June 2008, 11:33 AM
Yep a good addition to your workshop... Top job:2tsup:

zenwood
12th June 2008, 12:18 PM
Nice looking device, Groggy. You may be interested in the discussion of drill table inserts (square, rectangular, cubic or circular) that took place a while ago in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=49680).