PDA

View Full Version : Possible new workshop

Sterob
3rd June 2008, 09:36 PM
Guys,
I am thinking of buying a new home, partly because I need more shed space for my toys. A home I am considering has a 6 x 6m shed that has been gyproked and has a nice timber floor. ( It seems to have been designed as a bedroom for a teenage girl, going by the colours.)
Anyway, if I did buy the home, I would like to put my Mill and lathe in this room. I want to make sure I protect the expensive flooring from metal swarf, etc, in case I decide, at a later date, to use the room for something else.
The machinery is a HM-45 mill and a AL-335 lathe.
Was thinking of getting cheap lino laid over the flooring, that could be ripped up and discarded if/when the priorities changed.
Was also wondering if it be good insurance to sit the machinery on a section, of say, MDF, to stop the wood being marked by the weight of the machinery and the edges of the stands?
Thoughts anyone?

Chipman
3rd June 2008, 09:41 PM
How about using plywood or yellow tongue flooring on top? This should help to spread the load too. Just make sure that the foundations and subfloor is strong enough to take the weight and any vibration produced by your equipment.

(I have seen workshops put into portable classrooms and vibration becomes an issue)

Chipman

matthew_g
3rd June 2008, 11:38 PM
I would use cement sheeting as if you intend to weld in there you don't want the floore to burn and lino will burn straight onto your new floor.
fibro cement is great for this.Matt:D

Sterob
4th June 2008, 02:06 AM
Good points guys. I assume the floor is concrete under the timber floorboards. I did not think to check, but it felt solid when I walked inside.
I don't think I will be welding in there, but I had not considered that. There is actually another shed adjacent to this room, which will house the bikes and handtools.

prasunsen
4th June 2008, 07:28 AM
Cement sounds most reasonable to me as well. Just curious, is the shed the mail reason you are buying the home? :)

hux
4th June 2008, 02:20 PM
If the false floor is not glued down then just pull it up and put it aside for if/when you decide to use it again. Otherwise I would second some decent CF sheet @10mm would be good.

Is it high enough in there for the HM45?

Sterob
5th June 2008, 10:07 AM
The extra shed room is one of the reasons I am looking at this home. It has another 6 x 6 m shed right next door, so the bikes can go in there.

I'm not sure about the height for the HM-45. I just assumed it would be high enough. Good point Hux. I can't get access to it now, to check, as the place has been rented out so I am a bit stuck.

graemet
5th June 2008, 11:11 PM
A decent shed is always the main criterion when buying a house!

hux
6th June 2008, 09:20 AM
A decent shed is always the main criterion when buying a house!

After I came back from Timor in 2006 my wife sat me down, asked how much a shed would cost and then told me I better get on to it straight away :2tsup:

Gotta love a girl that knows how important a shed can be to a bloke. It's only a baby at 6x7m but I'm managing - it controls my machinery addiction :D

Ideally you would have two or 3 sheds. One for welding/grinding etc and one for the precision machinery and assembly area. I reckon a tilt slab would be a perfect. Fantastic insulation and noise proofing...you could work inside without pissing off the neighbours with noise.....damn shame some other #($*&# won the big one last night.

cflake
7th June 2008, 08:22 PM
I don't think there's any solution for your problem really.. sorry to say!

But I'll give you a hand by taking the lathe & mill off your hands and into 'storage' if you'd like.. Of course I'll need to turn them on every now & again.. just to make sure everything is still in order! :2tsup:

Penpal
7th June 2008, 09:27 PM
Following the course of your shedding and want you to know I understand the importance of the shed in my life and with 53 yrs of marriage in one months time the importance of having a healthy oportunity to follow the wind.
Hux your wife has great wisdom when she said go for the shed.

Peter:2tsup:

Sterob
8th June 2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the offer cflake....I'll give it some thought......:U

Well, it sounds as if its do-able and not a reason not to buy the home.
Thanks for the input lads.

Fossil
8th June 2008, 12:33 PM
Following the course of your shedding and want you to know I understand the importance of the shed in my life and with 53 yrs of marriage in one months time the importance of having a healthy oportunity to follow the wind.
Hux your wife has great wisdom when she said go for the shed.

Peter:2tsup:

Exactly!! :)

My wife is equally wise.
The trick for me is to be just as considerate to her. :rolleyes:
I struggle with that, but then I am just a wee nipper compared to
you Peter.:wink: