View Full Version : Couple of Tools

wheelinround
5th June 2008, 12:47 PM
picked up a couple of turning tools recently
apologies for crap pics

orraloon
5th June 2008, 03:27 PM
Wheelin,
Ok tell us the rest, how are they to use?

Regards
John

wheelinround
5th June 2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry John and when I get back out in the shed better pics will come
Both are home made not me but member of the OTGA David Laird

The long handled one is a deep or bowl holower, scraper even great for undercuts used on revs no higher than 600rpm first try I had the tool rest to close :oo: moved it back about 2 to 4 inches :2tsup: balances well great for removing waste fast or light smooth cuts.

The small one a 3 face pointed tool (belongs actually to LOML her own 1t turning tool) again David made it and gave it to her great for making beads etc or parting off
I used it to cut a dovetail for a chuck :2tsup:

joe greiner
5th June 2008, 11:40 PM
The short one is called a "pyramid tool." Google [woodturning pyramid] for more about making and using.

I didn't know you could make black-and-white pics with a digital camera. Must read the manual one of these days.

Joe

orraloon
6th June 2008, 11:47 AM
I made one of those 3 face (pyramid) tools out of an old drill shank. It may be just my poor handling of it but I did not use it a lot. It now sits in the tool rack waiting to be converted into something else. I would be interested to hear others views on them.

wheelinround
6th June 2008, 12:51 PM
Joe yes you can take BW with digital just go into settings and tell it to

or like what I did use a graphics program and switch to Grey scale Irfanview has it in it as do almost all graphics packages

WARNING what ever you do save it as another file DO NOT do a normal save do a SAVE AS (new file name)

Ray

Orrloon its a great lttile pig sticker give it a try if LOML can use it and get better results anyone can do it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2008, 01:47 PM
I made one of those 3 face (pyramid) tools out of an old drill shank. It may be just my poor handling of it but I did not use it a lot. It now sits in the tool rack waiting to be converted into something else. I would be interested to hear others views on them.

I'm much the same - I used mine quite a bit in the early days but now it's just a dust gatherer. :shrug:

For a beginner 'tis easier to use than a skew and does many of the same things... but all in all it doesn't do anything quite as well. eg. they'll both do beads, but as the cutting edge of the skew is thinner (due to the sharper angles it's ground at) it'll cut deeper and crisper lines between adjacent beads. For similar reasons, the skew will always give a better finish off the tool than the 3-pointer.

Still, it's a handy tool to keep in the toolbox.

rsser
7th June 2008, 08:44 PM
Tried cleaning your fingernails with it Skew? ;-}