PDA

View Full Version : JET lathe???

deadwood
5th June 2008, 06:58 PM
Dose anyone know about or have a JET lathe? I'm thinkin I might get me one. Got a quote from Trend Timbers @ $1380. What do you guys think?
Cheers Mike (its a 14"x 42")

Chipman
5th June 2008, 07:17 PM
Deadwood,

I would go the Nova 1624-44

http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107452285

Many people report problems with Jet, especially with trying to get it to line up.

Perhaps if you can tell us what you are trying to do with your lathe, you will get better guidance.

Chipman

Jim Carroll
5th June 2008, 07:47 PM
Have a close look next week at the wood show.

Sawdust Maker
5th June 2008, 09:51 PM
Trend also sell the nova
check them side by side

I also agree with Jim
go to the show next week and kick tyres

good luck

Frank&Earnest
6th June 2008, 12:43 AM
I got the 1442 after seeing it side by side with a Nova. Being an old perv, I made my decision looking at the legs :D. I agree that the specs favour the Nova, in my ignorance I went for the extra 200 kg of iron and lower price. :oo:

artme
6th June 2008, 07:26 AM
I have a Jet Mini,great little lathe also have an old Teknatool TL1200.
At our woodturning club we have two big Jets as well as an older Woodfast and the full range of Vicmarcs.
No complaints about the Jets but theu are several years old. Seems that the problems people talk about with Jets have only arisen in the last couple of years.
the above advice is good. go to the Sydney show and check out the Nova and the Jet.

killerbeast
6th June 2008, 05:43 PM
I have the big one 3520 B from jet. I have turned on the 1442" and i where to chosse somthing smaller than the 3520 ig would seriosly consider det the 1642 from jet. it has all the featurs of the 3520 but is just the littlebrother..

the 1442 is a really god lathe, but the speedcontrol is vario gear and im no big fan of those.. and when turning the banjo and speed handel would clash ...

imdusty
6th June 2008, 11:53 PM
I've had the jet 1442 for 3 years now, and have had no problems with it. I consider it a great machine.

deadwood
7th June 2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to the show in syd next w/end. to catchup with some people and check out the lathes (as well as everything else.) Thanks again, its good to get some common sense knocked into ya when your all excited and ready to make the wrong decision.
Oh, and to answer chipman, what i try to do on my lathe is different nearly every time i start it. So i spose i want an all rounder that can handle whatever comes into my head next.
Cheers Mike:U:2tsup:

Chipman
7th June 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to the show in syd next w/end. to catchup with some people and check out the lathes (as well as everything else.) Thanks again, its good to get some common sense knocked into ya when your all excited and ready to make the wrong decision.
Oh, and to answer chipman, what i try to do on my lathe is different nearly every time i start it. So i spose i want an all rounder that can handle whatever comes into my head next.
Cheers Mike:U:2tsup:

good on you Deadwood! That is the beauty of woodturning as a hobby, you can do whatever you like. Enjoy the show (I have to wait until the circus comes to Melbourne!) and hope you get the lathe you want...Happy turning!

Chipman:U