http://images.slsa.sa.gov.au/mpcimg/70000/B69782.jpg

The caption is: Rowboat on Silver Lake, Mylor 1929

Any idea where Silver Lake was/is?
Is it still there?
Can I try to sink Redback in it?

Richard

tea lady
6th June 2008, 05:49 PM
I have friends who live in Mylor, but I can't recall any water there.:hmm: There is a creek though. Maybe there is a puddle of water there. Its in the hills near Aldinga.

Daddles
6th June 2008, 06:22 PM
Umm, nowhere near Aldinga, that's on the coast. Maybe you mean Aldgate? :rolleyes:

I don't recall anything bigger than a fish pond either but who knows what hides in them hills ... or used to hide.

Richard

Daddles
6th June 2008, 06:23 PM
There's a fanstastic rowing lake in the Belair National Park ... only we're not allowed use a boat on it :( You're allowed to throw scraps to the ducks of course, but not bob around in your wee boatie.

Richard

b.o.a.t.
6th June 2008, 08:10 PM
More from the State Library of SA

The caption is: Rowboat on Silver Lake, Mylor 1929

Any idea where Silver Lake was/is?
Is it still there?
Can I try to sink Redback in it?

Richard

My Missus says she stayed there as a little kid.
I think it was a guest house.
We tried to find it once in the back-blocks of Macclesfield but couldn't.
http://maps.google.com/ "silver lake mylor sa" show a possibility about 15km SSW of Mylor.
Which might be the reason we couldn't find it on the SW side of Maccy...
cheers
AJ

b.o.a.t.
6th June 2008, 08:24 PM
There's a fanstastic rowing lake in the Belair National Park ... only we're not allowed use a boat on it :( You're allowed to throw scraps to the ducks of course, but not bob around in your wee boatie.

Richard

Insurance.
Same for Torrens Lake.
Have chased access to both at different times.

The are also fantastic boating lakes at Happy Valley, Mt Bold, Myponga, etc, etc, etc, and we're not allowed on or even near those either. Have asked a few senior-ish SA Water people about this & they have said, without a trace of irony, "To protect water quality". When I pointed out that Mt. Bold is almost 100% Murray R water at the mo & has been for several years, and that it is difficult to imagine how one could reduce the quality of that water further, I got called a trouble-maker.

I guess that means they ain't changing their minds about those anytime soon either. A pity. Especially when you look at the fantastic things other states are doing with their reservoirs.

AJ

tea lady
7th June 2008, 12:13 AM
Umm, nowhere near Aldinga, that's on the coast. Maybe you mean Aldgate? :rolleyes:

I don't recall anything bigger than a fish pond either but who knows what hides in them hills ... or used to hide.

Richard
Aldinga? Aldgate? They both start with A! What's the prob?:D:rolleyes:

China
7th June 2008, 02:09 AM
Both start 'A' and they are 30+ kilometers apart, Silver lake is part of the Scout Camp

Daddles
7th June 2008, 03:50 PM
Both start 'A' and they are 30+ kilometers apart, Silver lake is part of the Scout Camp

Do you mean Woodhouse? If so, we may be able to get some sort of access, even if it's as a group from here.

Richard

philbio
27th July 2012, 11:01 AM
I know this is an old thread but if anyone is interested the lake is still there. It's located about halfway along Silver Lake Road on the Western side. There is a driveway (private property) with Silver Lake sign. If you look through the trees you can see the lake.

The lake itself was a man made sluice dam for an alluvial goldmine (2 shafts x 30ft deep and 1 shaft x 160ft). The mine was closed in 1911. The lake was then converted for recreational use with a holiday style camp setup with tearooms, dance hall, caravan parks, etc. The lake remained open until the late 60's when it was closed due to polluted water.

http://images.slsa.sa.gov.au/prg/287/1/PRG287_1_5_55.jpg