PDA

View Full Version : compressor

kmthor
6th June 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm very tempted to buy one of the GMC direct drive compressor at bunnies for $98 has any got one or used one. Iv heard that direct drive isn't as good as belt drive and I'm wonder if it has enough grunt to do the job

i used to have a Lt belt driven compressor and that worked great for spraying and nailing

km

Claw Hama
6th June 2008, 11:22 PM
My neighbour bought one the other day but I don't think he has switched it on yet.

Burnsy
6th June 2008, 11:24 PM
I have a direct drive compressor Able Cook though not GMC and it has no problem with nail guns or the odd bit of spraying. In fact the Chippy suppliers I use only sell direct drive units if what they had in stock last time I wandered through their isles was anything to go by.

My Chippy mate also has one. I too have heard the tale of belt drive being better, maybe in relation to the requirements of a mechanical workshop.

You really need to look at CFM as there are different size direct drive units. I think if you don't have a compressor you probably can't beat $98 as long as it comes with a warrenty.

munruben
7th June 2008, 11:57 AM
Yep, I got one. Had it for two years with no problem. Use it for Staple gun and nail gun and air drill . Also for some light spray painting on projects. Good value for money.

Stuart
7th June 2008, 05:04 PM
I've had one now for 3 years or so- it just keeps going and going and going. Did my whole shed build with a framing nailer with no problem, including driving galv nails through the steel walls. Use it to blow all the sawdust etc off machines, free rusty bolts (with a impact driver) etc.

I've had no issues at all with it (mine is a 40L GMC, and I also use a 24L GMC when I need air elsewhere around the place) In the shed, I have it coupled into an airhose reel so I can get air where-ever I need it.

Might actually do some preventative maintenance on it one day (oil change), but I've just been too busy, and it just keeps going.

munruben
7th June 2008, 09:25 PM
Great for blowing your tyres up with too.:)

kmthor
8th June 2008, 11:54 AM
just picked up the compressor for that price dont think you can go wrong evan if you just use it for tryers

km

Detrimental
21st June 2009, 10:41 AM
G'day - I just purchased an older Able Cook Colt 255 air compressor. I'm new to compressors and would like to know if there is an instruction manual for it. It works fine but I'm a little confused on all the knobs and thingies :)

Many thanks,

Detrimental

Rossluck
22nd June 2009, 02:21 PM
G'day - I just purchased an older Able Cook Colt 255 air compressor. I'm new to compressors and would like to know if there is an instruction manual for it. It works fine but I'm a little confused on all the knobs and thingies :)

Many thanks,

Detrimental

A good compressor Detrimental. Just start it and watch the gauge. It should rise to around 120 PSI then the compressor will stop. Use an air tool and watch the pressure drop to around 80 PSI, then the compressor should start again and get up to 120 again, and so on. Change the oil once a year. Go. :D

echnidna
22nd June 2009, 05:18 PM
I've got a GMC and a Supercheap Autos compressor.

The supercheap one is a much better unit to use.

Cohuna
22nd June 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm very tempted to buy one of the GMC direct drive compressor at bunnies for $98 has any got one or used one. Iv heard that direct drive isn't as good as belt drive and I'm wonder if it has enough grunt to do the job

i used to have a Lt belt driven compressor and that worked great for spraying and nailing

km

I bought a small belt drive compressor ($500+) some months back after having had a few cheap direct drive unit break down. the belt drive unit was 3 times the cost of the direct drives and has been absolutely fantastic. It has never lost air even when I haven't used it for days. So I would recommend on of these units. I worked out that if I would have bought this unit in the first place I would have payed only half as much and saved the money I spent on the cheap direct drive units.
Another thing is I hope you are aware both GMC and Tridon went belly up last year and are not operating companies anymore. Just be carefully you get a garentee that is worth something because the companies are not around for spare parts or replacement.
Good luck with compressor hunting:2tsup:

Johncs
22nd June 2009, 11:55 PM
Another thing is I hope you are aware both GMC and Tridon went belly up last year and are not operating companies anymore. Just be carefully you get a garentee that is worth something because the companies are not around for spare parts or replacement.
Good luck with compressor hunting:2tsup:

:bunny3:

The original post's a year old.

I thought there's a timewarp flag, couldn't see one:oo:

Burnsy
23rd June 2009, 12:05 AM

Many thanks,

Detrimental

Same one I have and I could not find a manual. Something I have found is that it has a overload switch so if it ever dies, don't fret just search for a little switch somewhere up near the black plastic shroud.

Worth pulling the plug on the tank and checking it is not full of water too and then keep doing it regularly. The compressor will charge up to full capacity before the automated pressure switch turns it off, not sure if the max is 120, I have never tested it. By lifting the regulater knob slightly to unlock it you can screw it down to increase the pressure to the gun or out to reduce the pressure then push it back in to lock it off. The gauge shows the pressure to the gun as determined by this regulator, not the cutoff pressure of the unit as mentioned in a previous post.