PDA

View Full Version : Clamp for RA fixture

Mitchell
7th June 2008, 12:34 AM
New to Incra & trying to learn dovetail joinery. Am using a Jorgensen wooden hand screw to hold wood to fixture. When I tighten handscrew the wood comes away f/ fence. If I don't thigned it so that wood moves away f/ fence, then wood gets jerked by bit & dovetail is ruined. Try to compensate by pushing RA fixture back toward fence for cut but can't. Any suggestion for clamp/clamping techinque.

Gwhat
8th June 2008, 08:34 AM
New to Incra & trying to learn dovetail joinery. Am using a Jorgensen wooden hand screw to hold wood to fixture. When I tighten handscrew the wood comes away f/ fence. If I don't thigned it so that wood moves away f/ fence, then wood gets jerked by bit & dovetail is ruined. Try to compensate by pushing RA fixture back toward fence for cut but can't. Any suggestion for clamp/clamping techinque.

Using those clamps takes a bit of practice, making sure that thwe clamp is parallel to the fence / table etc will eliminate the chance of it wanting to pull the work away from the fence. If necessary try a Irwin style clamp.

Good luck.

Grahame

MichaelP
9th June 2008, 04:56 PM
Also make sure you either tighten the right angle guide onto the fence using the little screws or use a spring clamp to hold the Right angle fixture firmly onto the fence and table (as in the video) while you apply the wooden clamp

Mitchell
20th June 2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys for response. Watched video again. Started using the lock screw for RA fixture. I was just using clamp to secure it to table but not to fence. Also made sure my wood screw clamp was parallel to wood. Joint turned out a lot better.

Mike Wingate
27th June 2009, 09:25 PM
Set up is very important. Routing time is in minutes, but set up takes a bit longer but is worth it. Clamping the RAJ to both the fence and the table is a smart move. Do check the RAJ and the fence for squareness in all 3 planes.