PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi 230mm

tonyhart
12th February 2004, 06:35 PM
As a newbie to working with wood I managed to purchase as much "cheap" equipment as I could under the guise of each project I started. It didn't hit the wallet as hard and I figured that quantity beat quality when it came to filling shed space.

OK so now I'm wiser and a little more out of pocket but there have been some wins with the original strategy. One was a 230mm Ryobi bandsaw purchased from Bunnings. It did what I needed it to do but had the most terrible blade wander. This is despite my repeated attempts to correct it to a tolerable level by all manner of fine tuning, tensioning and cursing. I was considering its replacement recently when SWMBO decided that that money REALLY needed to go on curtains so plan B was introduced. ( and no, that was not a suggestion that we trim the curtains with a new 14inch bandsaw )

I have just installed a 10mm, 6TPI blade I obtained from Henry Bros in Vineyard, NSW. Now you cannot get a 10mm blade from Ryobi for this saw (1510mm), although you can for the smaller throated model. The specifications state that it will support a 10mm blade so I thought for a few dollars, what can I lose?

Usual tuning and tensioning, fire it up and lo, its like a completely new saw. No appreciable wander at all and no loading of the motor evident. I'd recommend anyone with this bandsaw to consider a replacement 10mm blade as the difference in performance is quite remarkable. And around half the price of a 6mm blade from the major retailers.

SilverSniper
20th September 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the tip, tried exactly this on my father-in-law's little Ryobi and it worked great! Thanks to Henry Bros, for $22 we now have a machine that actually does what its designed for. good stuff.

However I wouldn't recommend this as a alternative to buying a quality bandsaw - the Ryobi's wheels are all over the place - way out of plane, so I don't think this machine will last for too many projects before something will give up the ghost.

eddie the eagle
20th September 2008, 06:28 AM
I still use a little Benchtop Ryobi saw - a little three wheeler with 5" (?) wheels - absolute bottom of the line. It took about half an hour or so to set it up.

The key is to get the guides positioned correctly, once the wheels are set. With correctly set guides, blade wander is limited.

If I can't be bothered setting up a large bandsaw for a simple cut (I'm space limited so the saw's on a wheeled pallet,) I'll take out the hobby saw - it cuts 2" stock slowly, but doesn't slow down too much on 19mm. 12mm stock doesn't trouble it.

Use a 10tpi blade on this saw - it's counterintuitive, but the saw cuts quicker and with less effort with a 10tpi blade. Don't ask me why as it completely goes against all theory.

Yes, I use Henry Brothers for my blades as well.

CHeers,

eddie