PDA

View Full Version : My first turned pieces

Ashes
8th June 2008, 07:29 PM
Thought I'd show my first turning efforts.
This was done on a MC900 lathe I picked up of Groggy recently when he upgraded to his Vicmarc:oo:

2 items -- the standard pen - purple heart with Shellawax finish
-- small white mahogany bowl with Triton oil finish

All can say is that I learnt a heap doing these, have a heap more to learn and both pieces can definately can be improved upon. I thoroughly enjoyed turning these.

Biggest learning item was that it is worthwhile spending time getting the work to a high standard before reaching for the sandpaper. The Mahogany bowl was particularly time consuming to work the paper on.

weisyboy
8th June 2008, 08:13 PM
nice job better than my firsts.

that stringy bark can be a bit of a dasturd got chipping out and is fairly hard to sand but you have done a mighty good job on it:2tsup:.

joe greiner
8th June 2008, 11:12 PM
Excellent results, Ashes. The inside of bowls can be a PITA to cut without ripples. Well done.

The MC900 gets some unfavourable virtual ink, but I wouldn't sell it short. Top of the line at the lower end, IMHO. My Harbor Freight 34706 is substantially identical, and it's serving me well after about two years. I haven't yet installed the spare belt I got in August 2006. I assume the MC900 also has the auxiliary elbow tool rest for outboard turning; if it doesn't break when/if I first try outboard turning, it'll be because I've been too timid. A free-standing outboard rest, or more robust attachment to the lathe, would be nice to have in reserve.

Joe

hughie
8th June 2008, 11:52 PM
Yep, well done. :2tsup: If can keep the learning curve going at this speed it wont belong before an old hand at it :wink:

Joe your right about the banjo on the MC series I had to modify mine...woeful comes to mind as a word to describe it

wheelinround
9th June 2008, 12:07 AM
Ashes well done it wont belong before your a pro

TTIT
9th June 2008, 12:08 AM
...........I thoroughly enjoyed turning these............Great start Ashes :U Welcome to the addiction - there's no 'turning' back now!
:B

littlebuddha
9th June 2008, 01:15 AM
Samdpaper is one of those things that goes away little by little as you learn more how to use the tool, the biggest thing is that it is kept very sharp, if you become lazy and say well ill do this one then sharpen, you will not do so good. keep um sharp and the grade of paper and use diminishes. The biggest thing is to enjoy, look at sites and turnings, look at pottery glassware look at shapes and play with designs, if you start something then become unsure, leave it start something els come back to it. Keep the fun going, the interest gets bigger the pockets wallet get smaller:U its amazing what you get for your money though, you buy a small blank to make a vase and walk out with a big bin liner full of shavings how does that wood get so big:D I have seen a lot of first turnings and yours are not bad at all. enjoy the fun:2tsup: LB

artme
9th June 2008, 09:03 AM
Great work Ashes!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Now the fun really begins!:D:D:D

tea lady
9th June 2008, 10:50 AM
Isn't the first turnings spose to be out of Cra.... I mean Radiata pine? :? Using nice wood is cheating.:D No. I'm just jealous. Will have my own lathe one day. Well done Ashes.

Rum Pig
9th June 2008, 03:31 PM
nice job Ashes:2tsup::2tsup:

You have done yourself proud.:2tsup:

benji79
10th June 2008, 12:02 PM
Nice work mate :2tsup:

rsser
10th June 2008, 01:01 PM
Yep, beats my first efforts by a country mile. Well done.

TL raises the issue of 'learning' timber. My take on this is that there are a number of timbers that turn well and so you don't get discouraged early by tear-out, tool control troubles and generally crappy results. IMO, they're worth spending money on.

Out your way TL, if you haven't already, pop down to The Woodsmith and get advice from Len or Phil. I've always found them generous with their time, and have never had a dud blank from them.

Ditto for Rowie in Coburg - but you've been there already.