PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Lid - Bin Required

DPB
13th February 2004, 12:51 AM
I picked up a "cyclone" lid very similar to the one sold by Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=30282&category=1,42401&ccurrency=1&SID= .

It is designed to fit a 20" garbage bid, apparently a standard size in North America. I have had no success in locating such a bin here in Melbourne.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried Bunnings, a local injection moulder, etc. No luck!:(

I would be surprised if there wasn't something out there that would work - probably a container that will be thrown out when emptied.

joez
13th February 2004, 10:27 AM
Hi,

Try Searching some local trash n treasure markets.

I was at the one just off Wood St in Thomastown last weekend and there was a guy there who was just selling old plastic drums , he had about half a dozen diffent sizes.

Joe

Sturdee
13th February 2004, 10:52 AM
Don,

A cheap and probably effective solution is to use the standard rubbish bin which has a 19 1/4 " OD and wrap a strip of rubber carpet underlay around the rim with duct tape.
You may need to go around the rim a couple of times and use plenty of duct tape. A strip of underlay is normally available for nothing from any carpet shop.
This is what I used to join the DC pipe fittings together and it worked for that. At least you will be able to test your lid to see if it works okay.

Peter.

jshaw
13th February 2004, 10:54 AM
Hi Woodchuck,

I got the Veritas one a few weeks ago and picked up a big green bin for $20 from Magnet Mart (a local hardware chain in the ACT, like Bunnings but friendlier :D). I just wandered round with a tape measure until I found one within the diameter tolerances given on the Lee Valley page. The seal on to the bin is made tight by the suction so the lid doesn't have to be an exact fit provided the rim of the bin is smooth. Since we have a large number of the same bins around work I imagine they shouldn't be too hard to come by.

By the way, I got the flexible hosing from Carbatec and was a less pleasantly surprised by the price of that!

Happy hunting!

John

davo453
13th February 2004, 11:25 AM
Another suggestion for bins and drums of all sizes would be to look under “Drum Manufacturers, Reconditioners &/or Dealers” in the yellow pages, I found a local one (Perth) that sells a huge variety of cleaned used containers. I bought a couple of plastic 44 gallon (200 ltr) drums for $15 each, just cut the top out…………

burn
13th February 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jshaw
Hi Woodchuck,

I got the Veritas one a few weeks ago and picked up a big green bin for $20 from Magnet Mart (a local hardware chain in the ACT, like Bunnings but friendlier :D). I just wandered round with a tape measure until I found one within the diameter tolerances given on the Lee Valley page. The seal on to the bin is made tight by the suction so the lid doesn't have to be an exact fit provided the rim of the bin is smooth. Since we have a large number of the same bins around work I imagine they shouldn't be too hard to come by.

By the way, I got the flexible hosing from Carbatec and was a less pleasantly surprised by the price of that!

Happy hunting!

John

John,

How have you found the Veritas lid? Good, bad. What is your setup?

Thanks in advance

Burn

jshaw
13th February 2004, 05:19 PM
Hi Burn,

I'm a weekend warrior when it comes to woodwork so the cyclone lid matched up with an old vacuum cleaner to provide the suck is an awful lot better than the vacuum cleaner only that I had before. The main improvement for me is not having to empty the vac bag every five mins. I've been going 3 or 4 weeks now without having to empty the dust and shavings and there's still plenty of room in the big green bucket. I use it with my (cheapo) table saw, bandsaw, router and mitre saw as well as general clean up. It seems fine for that although I do wear a mask as I don't trust it with the nasty fine stuff. You're not far from me (Farrer) - send me a personal message if you want to drop by and have a look sometime.

Cheers,
John

DPB
13th February 2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I forgot that Bunnings isn't the only game in town so based on John's suggestion I picked up a bin that is a perfect fit to the lid from Mitre 10.

And guess the colour that I chose - it's flaming orange! It's just got to improve things.

:D