PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum System

Fredo
8th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone
Finished my vacuum system today, here's a quick run through with some pics. The vacuum pump is a new unit from ebay $220.00 delivered. Some old mower parts make up the frame, the rest looks a little complicated but isn't really. A remote oil filter acts as a dust filter to protect the vacuum pump. The vacuum control plate at the top has a gate valve on one side for quick vacuum release with an adjustable bleed valve on the other side, as well as a vacuum gauge to monitor operation of the system. The other fuel filter is used to stop dust entering the gate and bleed valve. The pump on/off switch is positioned up high for easy access. At the outboard end of the lathe, vacuum travels through a home made sealed bearing coupling to allow rotation, four home vacuum chucks complete the system, each made from a threaded alloy base with a glued up six ply face plate in varying diameters. Rubber/foam floating washer is used to seal between chuck and work. All seems to seal up well and pulls maximum vacuum, but will experiment with other materials. With the exception of the vacuum pump all parts used I either had, made or acquired at little or no cost.

Fredo :U

Groggy
8th June 2008, 09:46 PM
Straight to favourites (I have the same lathe). Very nice job Fredo :2tsup:

Jarrahrules
8th June 2008, 09:49 PM
Great Job. I was thinking of making one of these and that looks just like what i need. Is it very noisy.

Had a look on ebay at the vacume pumps. Is yours one of the dual stage pumps or the lighter one.

Nice bowl plate with all the circles around the top lip.
Greta job.
I have a vicmarc 300 short bed and love it.

Regards
JAMC

Fredo
8th June 2008, 10:10 PM
Groggy - Thanks, only just finished it today, should be a good thing.
JAMC - The vacuum pump does make some noise but to me it's not too annoying. My vacuum pump is a 4.2 CFM oil filled model XP135. The VL300 is a great lathe.

TTIT
8th June 2008, 11:59 PM
Those chucks are way too flash Fredo :~ - put mine to shame big time :B Looks like a good set up :2tsup:

Also reminds me I still have to find oil for my pump - no idea where to get it !

hughie
9th June 2008, 12:03 AM
Congratulations on a well made vac system. The chucks are impressive, all in all a darn fine job, me thinks.

Fredo
9th June 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks Vern
Shiny maybe, not sure about flash. I work at a machine shop and have access to the scrap box. DIY was also cheaper than buying face plates to make chucks.

Thanks Hughie
Shiny not fancy chucks, system seems to work well and I'm happy,

Stu in Tokyo
9th June 2008, 02:35 AM
Nicely done Fredo, very nicely done indeed!

You will LOVE working with a vacuum system, it is almost "Magic" :D :2tsup:

Rattrap
9th June 2008, 09:26 AM
Sorry for the newbe question but just what do you do with the vacuum system?

Fredo
9th June 2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Stu
I took your advice and used plywood for the face plates instead of MDF, I used structural ply which I feel is a bit soft, marine ply would have been a better option but was not readily available or cheap. "Magic" sounds good.

Rattrap
A vacuum system is just another option to hold a work piece onto the spindle to turn. Vacuum does not have the gripping force of a scroll chuck or screw face plate, it has the advantage of not needing a recess or a tenon to hold the job. It is mainly used to remove a tenon or for light clean up cuts and sanding. I also intend to use it for holding bowls to add decoration. Vacuum requires a light touch.

For anyone wishing to build a vacuum system here is a great reference site http--www.midhudsonwoodworkers.org-Jan06_Turn-vaccum_chucks_demo_ebook.pdf (http://www.midhudsonwoodworkers.org/Jan06_Turn/vaccum_chucks_demo_ebook.pdf)

Rattrap
9th June 2008, 12:05 PM
thanks fredo, makes sense.