PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a 4WD when you have big camper?

Wood Borer
9th June 2008, 04:06 PM
I heard of a chap up this way who was camping at the Kelly Tree on Stringbark Creek this weekend. Instead of going out the way he came in, he went out a slightly rougher track.:o

Some people not familiar with bush tracks think that the track he came up is a 4WD track especially after a sprinkling of rain but this bloke drove his truck (maybe a 9 Tonner) up this track without too many problems.

It goes to prove that most vehicles will go most places.

One local reckons he's a good driver and knowing the track I agree. Well done mate:2tsup:

Pat
9th June 2008, 04:18 PM
:worthless:

Wood Borer
9th June 2008, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't there to see it or to take photos but his camper had a bit of red clay on it when he dropped in for a cuppa.

Perhaps when he gets home he might post some pics even if it is only the mud on his camper.

dazzler
9th June 2008, 07:06 PM
If it had a locker or slippery diff she would have been okay, unless of course there was a hill n mud :)

Wood Borer
9th June 2008, 07:28 PM
Definitely mud and a few whoopty doos (spelling?).

I went along that track on Thursday when it was much dryer in my Hilux with good tyres in 2WD High and I slipped a fraction here and there but not enough to get out to put the hub locks on.

As to whether it had a LSD or Diff Lock, I am sure the owner of the camper can fill you in with those details, he was planning on getting home tonight and he is a regular on this Bulletin Board.

artme
14th June 2008, 09:49 AM
Funny thing about 4WDs. mOST NEVER SEE DUST LET ALONE MUD!
Years ago I did a trip from Leeton down to Adelaide and up to Wilpeena Pound and beyond.OK it was dry but I put the old Datsun 240K through its paces on plenty of unsealed stuff and through some creeks. Lots of Poncy 4Wd drivers wouldn't do what I did and were surprised to see me being so "brave".
A couple of years later an acqaintence drove via the back roads and tracks from Leeton , up to Broken Hill and then in a straight line throught the centre to just over the WA border. Why? To prove what a Holden with 200,00 MILES on the clock could do!

corbs
14th June 2008, 10:18 AM
We did a trip across the Simpson a few years ago now (North to South). We only got one 4wd across the straight track on Big Red (spent about half a day playing on it too:2tsup:). Get into Birdsville and behind the bar is a photo of a 2wd car (could have been a charger but honestly don't remember) getting airborn off the oo:. Watched an interesting game of rugby there too. That was a great trip:2tsup:.

Corbs

Wood Borer
14th June 2008, 10:36 AM
Couldn't agree more. It is the driving skills that count whether you are in a family sedan or something with traction on all 4 wheels.

Most 4WDs seem to be owned by wimps trying to portray a "big he man" image. This is particularly true of the majority of city based 4WDs.

There is more to 4WDing than just signing up lease papers, getting the bull bar and driving light options and intimidating pedestrians and other drivers in your fuel guzzler with a distant constipated look on your face as if you are bored with bitumen.

Underneath, many of them are trembling wimps having hardly ever been off the bitumen and I strongly suspect with an inferiority complex about the size of their private parts (probably with good reason).

I enjoy my 4WDing and both my little Subaru Forester and Hilux Diesel have the telltale scars of numerous successful challenges with sand, rock and mud.

You don't need a 4WD to see most of wonderful parts of this amazing country of ours but for a few parts a 4WD is essential.

Don't stuck like I did though Corbs - a bit more throttle at the bottom would have go me over.

RETIRED
14th June 2008, 06:17 PM
I don't know who you are talking about.:whistling2: but it it is a 9tonne 4x2 Isuzu SBR with no diff locks. Sorry it is a 4wd, it has 4 wheels on the back.:rolleyes:

No pics 'cause the rain washed it all off on the way home.

I take it Meg is home safe and well?

wheelinround
14th June 2008, 06:20 PM
No wonder its been quiet

No sounds of screaming from beheaded forumites as 's Scythe slices

Wood Borer
14th June 2008, 06:31 PM
I take it Meg is home safe and well?

Yes , she's home all UK'd out (would that be Eukered?) and I am no longer on a diet of microwave meals.:D:D:D

Buzza
15th June 2008, 09:19 PM
:cool:Most 4x4's don't have a queen size bed in them, so they are usless for camping in.

Most 4x4's I see have shiny black diffs with no sign of mud or grime at all anywhere.

They are mainly "Toorak Tractors". I only ever owned one, which the early Toyota with a three speed gear-box. Five fuel tanks, and all the RSG bumper bar/Jerry Can holders in place. This one had the huge six cylinder motor thart looked like a Chevy 6 from the late 1930's. Even in low range with fiour wheels locked, it got into a slippery eel situaition on the side of a steep cliff. I got it out without damage, but it was very dangerous at the time, because no grip came from any of the four wheels. Had it been a two wheel drive, I would not have ventured into that wet muddy pub car park. :rolleyes: They all give a shocking ride IMHO, and having used a Daihatsu 2WD Delta van as a camper, we lived for montha at a time in that old girl fitted with her Queen size mattress on a custom made bed frame.

Chikoroll
18th June 2009, 11:42 PM
:cool:Most 4x4's don't have a queen size bed in them, so they are usless for camping in.

Most 4x4's I see have shiny black diffs with no sign of mud or grime at all anywhere.

They are mainly "Toorak Tractors". I only ever owned one, which the early Toyota with a three speed gear-box. Five fuel tanks, and all the RSG bumper bar/Jerry Can holders in place. This one had the huge six cylinder motor thart looked like a Chevy 6 from the late 1930's. Even in low range with fiour wheels locked, it got into a slippery eel situaition on the side of a steep cliff. I got it out without damage, but it was very dangerous at the time, because no grip came from any of the four wheels. Had it been a two wheel drive, I would not have ventured into that wet muddy pub car park. :rolleyes: They all give a shocking ride IMHO, and having used a Daihatsu 2WD Delta van as a camper, we lived for montha at a time in that old girl fitted with her Queen size mattress on a custom made bed frame.

give a shocking ride? i love the body roll, can't stand anything else, the increased vision is a good thing too, on hot roads the mirages don't affect you as much, night vision is better, see over and through all other vehicles, quite handy

queen size bed? yea, i got one o them in mine, high density foam and a quilt

fridge? nah, 100L esky, cost $0, running cost 10L ice per week or 13L of ice for a week and a half (limits room though)

no rod holders, the rods sit behind the seats... what's the point in displaying them for open season thieves?

who needs a big camper when you have a 4wd?
just lived in this with a mate for a month comfortably, brisbane to cairns and all the 4wd places in between:2tsup: you know? the ones that you will never see because there is no bitumen or gravel track, lock hubs, point direction and go!

tea lady
18th June 2009, 11:55 PM
Maybe it works like a malabu surf board, and just smooths out all the bump:Ds.

glen boulton
19th June 2009, 12:01 AM
i remember someone telling me one day that the only differance between a 2wd and a 4wd is a 4wd gets stuck in more inaccessible places.

rod1949
19th June 2009, 10:09 AM
i remember someone telling me one day that the only differance between a 2wd and a 4wd is a 4wd gets stuck in more inaccessible places.

Too true Glen too true. In 1972 I brought a 1971 Landcruiser complete with a PTO driven winch thinking it could go anywhere... all I did was get myself deeper in the soup. Its all about learning. When I got rid of the landcruiser I brought a Twin Cab Dyna 1.5 tonne job, I took that places that were supposedly 4wd only, one of those places was Koolpin Gorge (I'd been in there several times in the past in the 4x4) way out the back of Pine Creek in the NT, you should have seen the look on the 4wdrivers faces when a 2wd vehicle showed up.

Lignin
19th June 2009, 12:00 PM
Back in the 60s I drove my VW beetle all over the outback of NSW without ever getting her stuck.Roads out there then were roads in name only, and bitumen was a dream for the future.
I was, I must admit, a cautious driver compared with my city trained mates, but I always got where I was going.
1200 cc, air cooled---impossible!!