PDA

View Full Version : Cant shift the faceplate

Arron
9th June 2008, 06:42 PM
I have a recurring problem wherein I screw a faceplate on the lathe, use it a bit, then am virtually unable to get it off the spindle. On one occassion I got so fed up I was just about to cut it apart with an angle grinder when it came loose.

The same thing can happen with a chuck too. So the question is, how do I stop these things from binding on the spindle.

thanks
Arron

Hobbyhorse
9th June 2008, 06:55 PM
Arron,
I have cut a washer from a plastic icecream container which goes between the meeting surfaces and this has overcome the problem for me.

Rhys H.:)

weisyboy
9th June 2008, 06:56 PM
a thin washer will stop them sticking. one cut rom a 1mm gal sheet. or even from cardboard helps but dosent last long.:2tsup:

hope this helps.

ubeaut
9th June 2008, 07:03 PM
I have a number of precision machined washers some perspex and some metal, I fit one of these over the drive shaft before putting on the face plate or other chucks, this makes for easy removal of all attachments. You may need an engineer to make you the metal one but the perspex ones you can make quite easily yourself Mine are 3mm thickness from memory.

For now though, make sure the back of the chuck/faceplate etc and the backing section on the spindle are both clean and free of rust, wax and all other contaminants. Do not let the face plat slam home on the spindle this will jam it every time. If you can't get it off give it a couple of really good sharp wacks with the hammer on the bit that sticks out the back end of the face plate it should come off fairly easy after that.

Cheers - Neil :U

Fireguard
9th June 2008, 07:47 PM
I've had the same problem, but at the same time I had a couple of leaking taps in the house, so I got one of those $1.50 packets of multi tap washers. Not only did I fix my taps but there was a washer in there that fit on the lathe fixing that problem too :2tsup:

Mulgabill
9th June 2008, 08:56 PM
Some good suggestions here. I use a leather washer and have no more problems.

With due respect to the honorable Neil (Ubeaut),:wink: I would use a soft-faced hammer rather than a steel persuader:oo:.

Arron
9th June 2008, 09:47 PM
thanks for the replies, guys.

I dont really understand what Neils solution will do though. Does it deform the bit that sticks out of the back of the faceplate, and why does this help ?

thanks
Arron

scooter
9th June 2008, 10:23 PM
Nah, it just makes you feel better while you figure out a real solution. :p

Allan at Wallan
10th June 2008, 11:33 AM
When you screw the faceplate or chuck on make
sure you take it firmly right to the end of the thread.

If you leave even the most minute gap, then turn
on the lathe, it will most likely snap it on harder.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

joe greiner
10th June 2008, 09:29 PM
Ditto what Neil and Allan say about firm seating, to prevent the lathe from working like an impact tool.

Absent knowledge of your headstock spindle and faceplate configurations, this suggestion may not work for all:
Secure the spindle with a spanner (index pin not advisable, as such use can destroy indexing capability). Place a SURPLUS Allen key in one of the holes in the faceplate, so that the long leg hangs over the hub. Smite the leg with a hammer to knock the faceplate loose.

Joe

woodwork wally
10th June 2008, 09:52 PM
I've had the same problem, but at the same time I had a couple of leaking taps in the house, so I got one of those $1.50 packets of multi tap washers. Not only did I fix my taps but there was a washer in there that fit on the lathe fixing that problem too :2tsup:

thats a big ditto:2tsup: from me too Lost the bloody washer the other day and couldnt find the spare:B so went to m10 and bought a packet of same size for coupladollars:U and hung em on a hook cos they work the best :2tsup: they are the red fibre type and I've never:no: had a stick since using them Regards WW Wally

OGYT
11th June 2008, 11:47 AM
I screw the 'steel' faceplate on the spindle by hand, up to where it contacts the spindle face. Then I put a rod in the hole on the edge of the faceplate, and give it a rap with the heel of my hand. That seats the faceplate against the spindle face firmly so it won't tighten when turning.
It takes a slightly harder rap on the rod to unseat the faceplate when I'm ready to remove it.
Notice that I said "steel" faceplate. The only problem I've had is with an aluminum faceplate. Something about the steel threads galling the aluminum threads...

rsser
12th June 2008, 01:10 PM
AFAIK the problem is one of stiction.

I've cut a washer out of a plakky milk carton - damn tough stuff.

Prob a smear of Dri Lube would do as well, though you'd need to watch gunk build up. (More entertaining than most stuff on the box these days anyway).

rsser
12th June 2008, 01:12 PM
Secure the spindle with a spanner (index pin not advisable, as such use can destroy indexing capability). Joe

Just to add to this: the Vicmarc 175 I had would cope with the index pin being used to hold the spindle; the Stubby would not.

joe greiner
12th June 2008, 10:55 PM
HDPE from a milk carton is dandy bearing material. UHMWPE is poor man's Teflon, and HDPE is poor man's UHMW. But make sure you cut it from the centre of a flat side, and verify uniform thickness. A wedge-shaped washer is not very good for shimming a faceplate.:wink:

Joe

TTIT
12th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Just to add to this: the Vicmarc 175 I had would cope with the index pin being used to hold the spindle; the Stubby would not.:oCrikey!! How big is a Vicmark indexing pin then????:o

Cliff Rogers
13th June 2008, 12:03 AM
... A wedge-shaped washer is not very good for shimming a faceplate.:wink:

Joe
This is very important so PAY ATTENTION! :2tsup:

I knew a bloke who swore black & blue that a brand new Vicmarc chuck was out of wack 'cos it didn't run true on his lathe.
He was using a big ugly thick lump of leather like a camel's knee with a hole hacked in it as a backing washer... when he removed the backing washer, surprise surprise, the chuck ran true. :D

rsser
13th June 2008, 08:08 AM
A wedge-shaped washer is not very good for shimming a faceplate.:wink: Joe

Yep.

I checked run-out with a dial indicator.

rsser
13th June 2008, 08:14 AM
:oCrikey!! How big is a Vicmark indexing pin then????:o

Big enough. Mind you, kept the mash hammer away from it.

weisyboy
13th June 2008, 09:00 AM
the pin on my nova is meant to be used as there is noware to put a spanner i have really wacked it at times and it is still fine.

Arron
15th June 2008, 11:08 PM
I went to Bunnings and bought some fibre washers - they are body washers for outdoor taps. They do the trick.

thanks for the tip
Arron