PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Heat Shrink Tube - for electrics

lendunne
10th June 2008, 10:59 AM
In addition to my interests in woodworking - which is why I visit this Forum, I also do a fair bit of work on cars - classics.

One of the projects I am working on at the moment is building new wire looms to support the old Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injections systems. These were the first electronic fuel injection systems to go into production (Circa 1966).

I recently got a buddy of mine in the US to send me over a few rolls of 3M Polyolefin Heat Shrink tubing. This is the good stuff, not the cheap PVC material that you sometimes find here. It has a 2:1 shrink ratio, and is the best material for joining electric wires. You can use it over terminals to give a real professional finish (and keep water/dust out) or you can apply it to wires soldered together, or just twisted together.

Once you put a piece of Polyolefin tube over the wire and apply a heat gun to it the plastic shrinks to a real nice tight finish - holding everything in place.

The sizes I had sent over are: 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 25mm and 45mm diameter. The larger 45mm tube is heat resistant - so it it meant for protecting cables like that used on welding equipment. But it's still very flexible. I have used some of this to protect the OEM PVC wire looms around the engine bay of air-cooled vehicles. It works real well.

If anyone is interested in getting some of this tubing from me, I have around 30 metres of it in total that is excess to my requirements. I will sell it by the metre from $4 -15/metre, depending upon the diameter you need.

So drop me a line and take some of this great tubing off my hands. It will be cheap to post, probably all that I have for sale would fit into a $10 Post-Pak.

If you are into doing your own wiring on cars, this stuff is the best solution to putting wire looms together as good as when they came out of the factory.