PDA

View Full Version : Rot in timber deck

patrick.m
13th February 2004, 04:13 PM
I have a small area of rot in a timber (ply) deck.

I believe Blue 7 is the ideal treatment after I've cut out the rotted timber; however, Blue 7 is off the market at the moment (the distributors tell me) because it is being reclassified as a poison.

Can anyone suggest another product I could use to (a) kill any remaining rot and (b) prevent further rotting?

fxst
14th February 2004, 02:50 PM
matches come to mind :D
but if you want to keep it I would ring/fax Duckflat in SA as the do renos on boats and prob have a simple and safe answer....or the Sydney woodenboat school?
Pete

jrwilliams01
11th October 2004, 04:41 AM
Your post was made in Feb. so you have probally already delt with the rot problem For future reference you may kill rot with antifreeze. After removing the damaged wood brush on coat after coat of antifreeze to the surrounding wood until it is saturated. Let the antifreeze compleatly dry before making the repair. The treated wood may be glued, sanded, and painted without any ill effects. Antifreexe may also be used to kill fungus and alge growing on docks and piers. Antifreeze will kill just about anything so dont drink it. (Everything these days has a disclaimer, so there is mine)

smee
16th July 2005, 12:34 AM
Has this been confirmed that antifreeze will kill dry rot spores?
premixed(ready to use) or concentrate ?
Iv'e heard of also using pickling salt (diluted) and sprayed on to dry out timber rot?
maybe a combo ?

delamaree
20th July 2005, 11:21 PM
soak it in good old white vinegar - yes, pickle it. The vinegar will run with the grain anywhere the moisture has in a capilliary action and kill ALL mold spores be they wet or dry. Repair and finish as per normal, and dont forget the chips and beer.