PDA

View Full Version : hafco tablesaw.

weisyboy
11th June 2008, 06:39 PM
is it worth buying the
ST-13 (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W441)
or am i better saving up for the
SB-12 (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W452)

weisyboy
11th June 2008, 06:46 PM
just saw the TS 250 (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W446) is on special $199

Batpig
11th June 2008, 06:46 PM
Carl,

Do not buy the ST-13 :no:.
End Of Story.

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

(P.S. I've got a Site Saw myself, so I'm not at all adverse to the concept, but if you're even thinking about an SB-12, I can guarantee you that the ST-13 will bitterly disappoint. I've had a good look at one.)

Batpig
11th June 2008, 06:55 PM
Dear Carl,

Don't buy the TS250 either. I use to own the $99 GMC version. It too will only bitterly disappoint you and ruin your wood.

If you're interested in an SB-12, it means you don't really need anything too portable. Have a think about something like the Jet JWTS-10:
http://www.jet-tools.com.au/T/Tablesaws/Specs%20Jwts%2010.html
I'm sure you'd pick it up for less than the RRP, and the Dust Control will be much better than an SB-12, which has the motor and belt hanging out the back flicking sawdust everywhere.

Best Wishes again,
Batpig.

weisyboy
11th June 2008, 07:14 PM
i have the gmcrap saw and have is set up for riping down slabs.

i need sompthing to do accurite ripping, docking and mites on. i did not think either of the chipies would be verry good. i might call in next time im passing. i dot have the cash to send on a jet or other brand name saw.

Batpig
11th June 2008, 08:03 PM
Dear Carl,

You're in Upper Brookfield, right, so that probably means you're on a fair sized allotment - so maybe noise isn't a real big issue... (Heck, your chainsaw mill can't be all that quiet, can it?...) Okay then - if I was in that predicament - I'd have a think about ringing Trade Tools down at Coopers Plains (ph. 3875 1022) and asking them if they had any of a Table Saw that they sometimes carry called the MJ10250IID (I think it had the "D" on the end...).

At the time I saw it (about a year and a half ago), it was a newly stocked item, and the $AUD wasn't as strong as it is now - both of which mean it should have come down somewhat from it's sticker price back then, which was $498. It was a Lot Of Saw for the money - trust me: nice flat machined cast aluminium top, sliding carriage, reconfigurable fence rails and extension table for wide rips, router wing with fence. Yep, very interesting, except that she was a little too darned noisy for me. Noise aside, though, it would be very, very hard to go past the thing in the "sub $500 bracket"...

Good Luck with it,
Batpig.

weisyboy
11th June 2008, 08:19 PM
i am on 48 acres so i being loud wont worie others but it would worie me. i don want to have to don earmufs everytime i need to do a lot of cutting. but i will givce them a go none the less.

how did you know how loud it was? did they start it up for you? if it was to loud wile running the how loud would it be when cutting?

Batpig
11th June 2008, 08:38 PM
Dear Carl,

I did indeed get them to plug it in and give it a whirl for me. In terms of noise, think along the lines of a Circular Saw, because the drivetrain was essentially the same - ie. a Universal Motor (that is, one with brushes) running through a Gearbox. It would be a little louder again during a cut. You would have to wear earmuffs - no doubt about it.

Having said that, and without wanting to turn the thread all awry, I'd be wearing earmuffs no matter how quiet my saw was. My 315mm Site Saw has a nice quiet brushless Induction Motor without any gearbox or belts of any sort, and I still wear earmuffs...

If sound is a bit of an issue for you, then have a think about this mutha from Carbatec:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_450_20273

Same saw as mine, except with a different fake-brand sticker. They were doing them for $439 during the Woodwork Show, so I'm sure they could drop down there for you again if you were flashing cash. Much better than the Hafco ST-13, but still not deadly accurate, though. It's hard to get "Quiet" + "Deadly Accurate" (+ good Dust Control for that matter) for less than the price of that Jet JWTS 10 (which Gary Pye is doing for less than $800).

Think before you leap, no matter what you end up doing...

Best Wishes,
Batpig.

weisyboy
11th June 2008, 08:41 PM
dust extraction dosent matter to me.

i will have a good think about it im not in a position to buy right now anyway.

Different
11th June 2008, 09:07 PM
i am on 48 acres so i being loud wont worie others but it would worie me. i don want to have to don earmufs everytime i need to do a lot of cutting. but i will givce them a go none the less.

how did you know how loud it was? did they start it up for you? if it was to loud wile running the how loud would it be when cutting?

Its not the running that makes the noise its the cutting!
There is no such thing as a quiet tablesaw and you should always wear ear muffs.

I dont know what your budget is? but seriously look at second hand gear rather than new Taiwanese gear.

Ross

Blackout
12th June 2008, 09:12 PM
Carl,

You would be surprised at what you can pick up on the second hand market. I picked my 12" Carbatec cabinet saw minus guard and fence for $400 (unforunately I had to buy some gear to secure it on the trailer). Later I bought an old Thornley table saw for $100 and I think it is supposed to take something like a 16" blade. Problem is it has an old 5HP 3PH motor. I was even offered a huge bandsaw for $50 but it was physically out of my league.

It's the garage sales where people are moving into retirement homes or going O/S that seems to have these hidden treasures. So while your saving have look around on Saturday morning in your area. If I come across something in the next few months I'll give you a bell.

Cheers,

weisyboy
12th June 2008, 09:48 PM
thanks mate not manny garage sales round here but i sepnd a bit of time on the gold coast so will check out some of them.:2tsup:

Andy Mac
12th June 2008, 10:32 PM
i don want to have to don earmufs everytime i need to do a lot of cutting.

Hey weisyboy, someone's go to say it...what have you got against earmuffs?!:? They become second nature. I've been in workshops for over 30yrs and I don't switch on any machine (well maybe the drill press) without ear muffs, and glasses too...I feel naked without 'em! I don't want to end up like my old man who has to be shouted at to have a conversation, and has the TV blaring so no one else can stay in the room!:oo: Protect what you've got, don't be a hero.:no:
Said and done, now good luck hunting a tablesaw.

Andy

Chumley
13th June 2008, 03:04 PM
dust extraction dosent matter to me

Hi Carl,

I know you don't particularly care about health and safety gear, but are you aware that a table saw or router (probably most machinery) will work better if you have dust extraction? If you don't get rid of the dust it will build up on the blade causing it to lose its edge far quicker, and you get a less accurate cut - and you have to clean the gunk off far more often.

Cheers,
Adam

Torre
13th June 2008, 07:58 PM
Hey ive got the sb-12 great little machine i chose it because i like the rip fence for its price i rekon its great other than that it cuts alright it does struggle with riping hardwood say over an inch thick but cuts some clean cross cuts. problems with the machine the riving knife is terrible bit flimsy has way tom uch play for my liking and the blade gaurd isnt all that flash either but still a top machine and im glad i bought it.

ps the engine died with a month or two took it back it was a manufacturers fault hares and forbes were execellent replaced it with 2 weeks and now not a problem with it at all, good luck

Blackout
14th June 2008, 11:56 AM
Carl,

See the Delta in the paper today for $495 (well thats the asking price anyhow)

Cheers

weisyboy
14th June 2008, 12:26 PM
i dont get the papper where abouts is it?