PDA

View Full Version : Bending Timber Without Steam?

Piofur
17th June 1999, 10:22 PM
I have bent timber before with great success. I have never used the steaming method and don't find it neccessary to set a system up for the extremly small amount of bending I do.

My question is, How do you bend a piece of timber that will hold its shape without the aid of any framework. eg, A bow front drawer front( bit double dutch! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif ) I have seen this done using the method of scoring several cuts on the back of the drawer front, but do not understand how it has held its shape?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Shane Watson!!

AlexS
23rd June 1999, 02:48 PM
I've bent timber for coffin sides using the method of cutting kerfs as you describe. An article in Australian woodworker from about 3 years ago describes how to set the kerf spacing. After cutting, fill the kerfs with a paste of glue and fine sawdust and bend to shape over a form covered in gladwrap.

Piofur
23rd June 1999, 03:09 PM
I had thought that would be the method used, but wasn't sure that the glue mix would hold. Obviously it does! What glue did you use? Was it just a common PVA wood glue or was it a product more adapted to this method? Such as a urea formaldahyde? I would also like to get hold of a copy of that magazine you related to, do you know how to get hold of a copy or can you give me more detailed info on that issue?
Cheers

Shane http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

AlexS
28th June 1999, 04:17 PM
I used Triton glue (X linked pva). I'll rummage around for the magazine & let you know in a couple of days.

Alex.

Piofur
29th June 1999, 06:22 PM
Thanks Alex

Hopefully you can find the mag....

Cheers

Shane...

Neil Ellis
30th June 1999, 12:59 AM
Hi Shane

If all else fails you can use joiners hide glue for the job. This has been used for this type of shaping for many years.
Neil

AlexS
2nd July 1999, 10:16 AM
Hi Shane,
I couldn't find the article, so here it is from memory.
Make the first cut at the start of the bend, leaving about 3mm of wood. On a flat surface, mark the distance of the radius of the bend from the kerf. Bend up the wood to close up the kerf, and measure the amount by which the wood is raised at the distance of the radius from the kerf. This is the spacing between kerfs. The thinner the blade, the closer the kerfs, the better the bend.

I suggest you try it on a bit of scrap first, just in case the alzheimers has kicked in and I've got it wrong.

Piofur
2nd July 1999, 05:14 PM
Great, thanks Alex

I will give it a go and see what I can come up with. Nothing like a good challenge!!!

Cheers

Shane :-)