PDA

View Full Version : Jacob lathe

Carry Pine
12th June 2008, 09:55 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on this lathe. Given to me this week but i'm not a turner. Should i keep it? Picture attached.
Jacob brand 1983, Taiwan.

Carry Pine

Burnsy
12th June 2008, 10:05 PM
I am no expert but it looks better than most cheap lathes and it was free. Even though you are not a turner a lathe can be handy for making new handles and the like. Sell it and I guarantee you will break the handle on your favourite chisel next week:rolleyes:

Rookie
12th June 2008, 10:07 PM
It has a cast iron bed, and it was free. No brainer. Just make sure that the centres line up when brought together, and I'm assuming the motor runs.

DJ’s Timber
12th June 2008, 10:08 PM
Looks to be a solid little unit, can't say that I've seen or heard of that style or brand though.

orraloon
12th June 2008, 10:23 PM
It is not easy to say from the one picture but if it runs and the centers line up then not too bad. If you can find a turner in you're area to have a look and give an opinion that would be the way to go. You will need a few pointers to get started in any case.

TTIT
12th June 2008, 11:34 PM
.........Given to me this week but i'm not a turner. ............Maybe that should read 'wasn't a turner' - doesn't take much to start the addiction and that lathe looks like it would do the job! :;:U

coffenup
12th June 2008, 11:39 PM
I recon you should give it to ME:wink::wink:
and get your shed space back I have room to store it

joe greiner
12th June 2008, 11:50 PM
Looks like a substantial piece of gear. But you'd best get rid of it ASAP, or you're a goner.

Joe

hitch
13th June 2008, 12:01 AM
I know very little about it but looks like a good opportunity to try a bit of turning and see if you get the bug as many others here have.

I'll be passing through Bowral next Wednesday and wonder if it would fit in the boot of a car.

Just checking in case you decide to put it out the front for Council clean up collection.:U

Carry Pine
13th June 2008, 07:21 PM
Sell it and I guarantee you will break the handle on your favourite chisel next week:rolleyes:
Is that 2 bad marks I owe you Burnsy?

Thank you for the replies. I really don't think there's much chance of me 'going over'. A friend has offered to store it till I get a decent shed. No it won't be put out for clean up week.

Thanks again,

Graham