PDA

View Full Version : Choice of skew chisels

jefferson
13th June 2008, 10:25 PM
I've just started turning spindles, no bowls yet.

I'm have some problems with the skew chisel in turning beads. I have watched the Pompous Pom's DVD (Mike Darlow) over and over and intend to persist with the skew. But it's hard, at least for me, no question.

The 1 1/4 inch skew seems to be the safest re: fewer dig ins, but the P&N wont sharpen on my Tormek jig, so it's not as sharp as it should be. I also wonder whether the larger skew is more or less suitable for smaller beads. I like the 3/4 inch skew but it digs in too often. Poor long point clearance probably.

It's not dummy spitting time just yet, but some words of encouragment and advice would be very much appriecated. I've been practicing on short lengths of Murray Pine - 30mm square with some knots. The wood pile is building.

thanks Jeff

ss_11000
13th June 2008, 10:38 PM
get a half inch. i hate using my 1" skew on small spindles, much prefer my 1/2".

RETIRED
14th June 2008, 06:05 PM
Murray pine can be a bit of a mongrel because of the knots but it is also a "slippery" timber.

By that I mean that the oil in the timber can can lubricate the chisel and it slides instead of cuts.

Try Radiata pine (:p you lot) and keep practising. The 3/4" is ideal for this size. I use an 1" skew for most of my stuff.

jefferson
14th June 2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks and Stirlo

I had another session with the skew today. Damn dig-ins. Just the one. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, I surely curse. And curse some more. I might order a 1/2 inch skew for those smaller beads. I reckon I've got maybe 3-4 weeks of patience left. I haven't been game to even consider tackling the 80mm square legs for the new redgum table. Probably a waste at this stage.

And you are right about the Murray Pine - very slippery. Rippling was a real problem a few weeks back, now turning the beads and coves a lot slower with some improvement.

Strange, but the beads are causing me more grief than the hollows.

Practice makes perfect as they say. I've stored the practice turnings and can see a lot of improvement, but progress on the finer points is slow.

regards Jeff