PDA

View Full Version : WIP power hacksaw restoration

Woodlee
15th June 2008, 06:31 PM
I have been working all week (took a month off work ) on restoring the Parkansan power hack saw that I bought a couple of weeks ago .
Generally it is in good condition ,but has a couple of minor problems .Mainly the broken guard and a badly repaired push rod for the hydraulic pump .
It looks as if this saw has a crash some time ago and one of the pistons that operate the hydraulics has punched through the bottom of the pump.
After some deliberation I managed to get the pump out of its hiding place and there is a welding repair to it . It has been well done ,but the push rod needs replacing.
Here are a few pics of my progress so far .
The whole thing has been disassembled and cleaned the base is ready for paint when I sandblast the interior of the hydraulic oil tank to remove rust and old paint.
I have been using caustic soda and a pressure cleaner for paint stripping of smaller parts.

Pic 1& 2 base , you can see the interior of the hydraulic oil tank (the two square holes in the top, why anyone would paint inside that has got me beat most of the paint was in the bottom of the tank)
Pic 3 , vice racks and the bow of the saw ,you can see the bronze gibb strip that fits in the slide dovetail.
Pic 4 my inovative caustic soda bath for paint stripping
Pic 5 the drive head the two eccentrics drive the two push rods for the hydraulic pump ,the large wheel and crank rod are on the right hand end of the shaft.
Pic 6 assorted parts ,drive gear at he bottom,and the hydraulic pump at the top rh side of the box.
Pic 7 the beam that has the mating dovetail for the saw bow to slide on ,also provides weight for down feed of the blade.

China
15th June 2008, 10:36 PM
Thats looking good, you make me feel ashamed when I obtained my old Hercus, I was going to clean it up but I made the mistake of putting it staight to work, now six months later it is still waiting it's clean up

Woodlee
16th June 2008, 06:53 PM
I borrowed a portable sand blaster today and spent a couple of hours sand blasting the interior of the hydraulic tank what a cow of a job ,compressor was a bit too small but I git it done .
Need to finish masking for paint and then go buy the paint & primer .I'm thinking of Kill Rust etch primer and an epoxy enamel . Not sure what colour ,I'm debating whether to go for the original colour of green and cream for the moving parts or just a full machine grey job.The pics below show what I think is the original colour scheme ,not sure if I like it.
While I have been prepping for paint I haven't seen any evidence of these colours on my machine though.