PDA

View Full Version : Another box and an egg!

lubbing5cherubs
15th June 2008, 07:00 PM
This is todays effort but for some reason since coming off the lathe it no longer true. Not sure whether the wood moved in the chuck or what happend bit dissapointing because I like the finial that I did it still got lots to learn but getting there. The wood for the egg is white pine, the box is lacewood.
bye Toni

weisyboy
15th June 2008, 07:04 PM
looks good to me.

coffenup
15th June 2008, 08:29 PM
me too
regards michael
:2tsup::D

joe greiner
15th June 2008, 09:51 PM
A wee bit of corduroy on the egg, but I can't see anything "no longer true." Try measuring them again. Nice box and finial, Toni. What's the finish?

Joe

powderpost
15th June 2008, 10:02 PM
Another victim of the lathe? :D Looks good, well done Toni.
JIm

ss_11000
15th June 2008, 10:30 PM
Toni: Nice work and all:2tsup:, but I think that a shorter finial would look better. To me, your finial looks more like a handle and doesnt have the right proportions to the actual box itself:shrug: I think the longer finials look better when you have a wider box as opposed to a 'skinny' box like yours.

Cheers

littlebuddha
16th June 2008, 12:34 AM
Toni never seen an egg box made like that before:D, don,t worry to much just look at it as learning, we all get things wrong at times no matter how long you have been doing it. If you enjoy what you do and have some sort of disapointment then you will strive to do that little better, you can land up doing a perfect turning and then find the last sanding did not take out all the fine marks, so its next time next time oh how manytimes. Dont get bogged down buy lids that have to go plop, lids fit tight and lose inside the box over the box, loads of different ways, also try to give some detail to the inside of the lide and to the base, people turn boxes everyway looking at them so its nice to get some detail on them. Carefull with sanding as well, as to much you lose detail. If you want help anytime just ask will always try to help out, nice to see you having a go, im sure we will see some great little boxes from you shortly. LB :2tsup:

http:/www.shapewood.co.uk

wheelinround
16th June 2008, 09:56 AM
Nice work Toni

Now to start using that Rose Engine Lathe to make patterns on them boxes n lids

artme
16th June 2008, 11:23 AM
No stopping you now Toni! Great work!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hardenfast
16th June 2008, 05:54 PM
Looks pretty good to me Toni. Maybe you should photograph the items with something regognisable in the picture to give us some perspective of size?

I'm yet to try anything with a lid or finial so find these items quite fascinating. Nice job.

Wayne