PDA

View Full Version : Lathe tools

benja
15th June 2008, 07:26 PM
Just looking for suggestions on lathe cutting tools. Have just purchased a second hand lathe (Expertline 1/2 HP, 1000mm bed length 165 swing) $50!
What tools are absolutely necessary? Should i buy a set, or just the ones i need? Looking to do cups, boxy type things, handles and legs (yes legs for my pirate friends). Suggestions appreciated, its my birthday soon, so could be in for a "surprise"

Cheers

robyn2839
15th June 2008, 07:44 PM
have a look at the northwood turning tools, and somewhere on the forum is a reveiw of them and they came up good ,.and they are very well priced............................................bob

funkychicken
15th June 2008, 08:38 PM
If I'm right, that's a gmc clone lathe...Hunk o' Junk:no:

Burnsy
15th June 2008, 08:47 PM
If I'm right, that's a gmc clone lathe...Hunk o' Junk:no:

Mine - old Ryobi might not be the best lathe around but it suits the purpose for a beginner. You need to remember FC that all turners need to start somewhere and if you are not sure whether it is something you will end up doing alot of, $50 is a good buy.

Also, it may be a clone, but a clone of what, I don't know what came first but it unlikely it was GMC, I reckon my Ryobi is older than the GMC brand name and it is likely that it is a clone of something else again. Compared to the GMC's I have seen, many of the other clones are much heavier in their build quality. Not the best lathes by any means but not on the same level as GMC either.

Claw Hama
15th June 2008, 11:32 PM
Hey FunkyC what came first the funky chicken or the funky egg? Yeh my first one was a $100 George Cloney which was enough to start me off again after not touching one since squool? skool? yeh and also to get past the other half going "what do you want that for..........." If I had said I was going to spend $500 - $1200 there would be blood spilt. Once I had the first one and she started getting nice little timber bowls that she liked then it was ok when I found a great buy and upgraded.
Benja, start where you can and have fun. I got a great set of hss chisels from Gasweld good quality and hold a pretty good edge $99. Have fun!!

wheelinround
16th June 2008, 09:18 AM
Gary Pye has good Chinese HSS high speed steel sets at very reasonable prices http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146793

IanW
16th June 2008, 10:13 AM
Benja -
Everyone will have their own idea of what a starter kit should be, but IMO, it should include a parting/sizing tool, something to rough with (for spindles, I prefer a heavy spindle gouge to the classic roughing gouge - more versatile) and a smaller 'detail' gouge, plus a skew - this is the 'real' tool for spindle work. Mid-size (3/4" to larger (1") skews are probably easier for a beginner to get the hang of, and you can do quite fine work with them, but your eventual line-up of tools will depend on what you end up doing most. Obviously, a lace-bobbin turner's kit won't include a lot of tools suited to whipping up 150mm diameter table legs....

I looked at the page Wheelin' referred to, & their prices are certainly good! The 'full-size' set shown would be a good start, since you indicate you want to turn spindles as well as have a crack at bowly things - there is a scraper & bowl gouge in it. My only concern is that rounded skew - I bought one of these years ago after reading the blurb about how much better they are for turning beads, etc. Found it much harder to control than my faithful old P&N 3/4" skew, so for someone starting out, it could be a bit frustrating, so don't give up skews if you find this one is trouble - they are well worth mastering. The diamond parting tool is also a mixed blessing for beginners, IMO, but you can always add a wider, straight parting tool later (handy for sizing things like handles for ferrules, etc.) You can use a skew for sizing with a bit of practice, but it is pretty unforgiving in this role.

Agree with Claw Hama - you have to start somewhere. A cheap lathe is certainly a bit harder to learn on (I well know!) but you can do it, & when you do upgrade to a decent cast-iron & properly powered machine, you won't believe how much more fun it is.

Best advice I can give is to spend a morning with a skilled & willing turner who can show you what each tool does best, & what it looks like when it's cutting properly, then go off & practice til you get it flowing.

Warning: This is a highly addictive pastime........

:U

oldiephred
16th June 2008, 10:20 AM
IMHO you simply will not do better than an OLAND BAR as your first and only lathe tool. They are rarely mentioned in forum discussions for some reason but they are the best starter and overall turning tool there is.
There is a site that explains them but I cannot think of it right now. Will post it when I find it. Look for Darrell Feltmate's site.
BASICALLY: 1/ Go to a machine shop tooling supplier and purcahse a 1/4" square high speed steel tool bit. They are about 2 1/2" long and cost a couple of $.
2/ Get a piece of steel pipe about 18 to 22" long into which the tool bit will fit or can be made to fit. Or get a piece of CRS rod and drill the end about 2" deep then install grub screws.
3/ Drill and tap two holes for grub screws to secure the tool bit.
4/ grind the tool bit to the same shape as a gouge (leave the top flat).
found it.
You will find that you might not need any other tools. If you cannot make it, the local machine shop will do it for very few $.
Set the tool rest so the cutting edge is slightly below the center line.
I won't ramble more for now. This is about the only tool I use.
found it. http://aroundthewoods.com/

rsser
16th June 2008, 11:26 AM
See what you think of these recommendations:

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/firsttools.htm

joe greiner
17th June 2008, 12:06 AM
Oland tools can be very handy for more than just hollowing, but I disagree about their being your first and only tool. They function as narrow scrapers, although they can be rotated to make more of a slicing cut. They're less susceptible to catches. Even then, final planing cuts can be made with the skew or gouge, including a bowl gouge, to reduce the amount of sanding needed. Oland developed his design to enable DIY construction. HSS cutters are available in a variety of sizes, and separate tools can include placement of the cutter at 45 degrees to the shank for hollowing near the opening of hollow forms. Google [oland] in the search box on most pages for a more complete discussion.

Joe

rsser
17th June 2008, 05:20 AM
Yes, I suspect they get used mostly as scrapers but when you look at Darrell's vids he's using them in cutting mode with the bevel rubbing.

benja
17th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the proper advice and support, and not just bagging my purchase. Actually the Expertline is built much more solidly than the GMC, particularly the bed rails, which are 40mm box- i have only ever purchased one of their tools, and never will again.
Will have to wait a few weeks til i get some tools- really only purchased the lathe because it was local and bargain priced. Will rescue some camphor from the logs in the woodpile, and spin up some of the silky oak which has dried nicely, after a few goes on those 2 favourite materials- pinus radiata and ironbark, simply because i have loads spare.
Will have a show and tell when i get to it.

RETIRED
18th June 2008, 12:14 AM
No he didn't Burnsy.:wink:

madcraft
18th June 2008, 09:19 PM
Just looking for suggestions on lathe cutting tools. Have just purchased a second hand lathe (Expertline 1/2 HP, 1000mm bed length 165 swing) $50!
What tools are absolutely necessary? Should i buy a set, or just the ones i need? Looking to do cups, boxy type things, handles and legs (yes legs for my pirate friends). Suggestions appreciated, its my birthday soon, so could be in for a "surprise"

Cheers

Hi Benja

Great price to start you off , I just brought one of those cheap turning tool kits from ebay that way when I stuff them up with my sharpening { which I did } it was no great loss , I use P & N now { know how to sharpen right }
try getting this book (http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=30_19544_17050_19409) it's great to get you started and explains a few things

Cheers
Glenn

madcraft
18th June 2008, 10:02 PM
. Will rescue some camphor from the logs in the woodpile,

I heard somewhere that Camphor is Poisoness , is this right ?

Cheers
Glenn

benja
18th June 2008, 10:36 PM

Cheers
Glenn

It is a declared pest (weed) in Queensland. Bugger of a thing to get rid of, all i do is lop off the branches that poke over my fence! Keeps bugs of most kinds out of clothes and stuff, so its probably not too good for breakfast daily. I am sure someone here knows..

joe greiner
18th June 2008, 10:46 PM

Cheers
Glenn

Ingestion by small critters, such as bugs and children, can be VERY hazardous. Only a little less hazardous to adults. Also an irritant to the eyes. Google [camphor poison] for more insight. (Global Google, not WWF local).

Joe

madcraft
19th June 2008, 10:02 AM
Ingestion by small critters, such as bugs and children, can be VERY hazardous. Only a little less hazardous to adults. Also an irritant to the eyes. Google [camphor poison] for more insight. (Global Google, not WWF local).

Joe

Thanks Guys and Joe I'll check it out on Google

Cheers
Glenn

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th June 2008, 10:59 PM
It's lovely stuff to turn, though. Especially if you have some of the more colourful grain; some CL trees are bland, while others are WOW!

Just keep in mind that:it's not suitable for anything that should be deemed "food safe" for safeties' sake you should set up a good airflow through the shed. The smell can be so strong during turning that you may feel you're about to pass out otherwise. (It's a bit like shoving a mothball up each nostril and then trying to breathe deep... :roll:) the shavings aren't really suitable for throwing into the compost heap. Not if you want to stay on the Chief Gardener's good side, anyway.

(I'm assuming you're already taking the basic safety precautions such as wearing a good dust mask, etc. :;)

Sawdust Maker
19th June 2008, 11:26 PM
:iagree:

some of the grain can be superb.

I don't mind the odour whilst turning but agree it could get too much if you did a lot of it

powderpost
20th June 2008, 12:00 AM
Geez Skew, where did you find a moth that big???? Sorry!!! :-
absolute minimum tools I recommend to start turning...
Spindles
25mm skew
25mm roughing gouge
12mm spindle gouge
face plate
12mm bowl gouge
25mm round nose scraper
You will need more, but this is a minimum list
Jim