PDA

View Full Version : timber direction

coffenup
15th June 2008, 08:44 PM
just a question
I have got my tools sharp but the edge of the timber looks like its been torn even with a squew chisel
is there a correct direction for the timber to rotate. If so how do you tell
the timber is some sort of pine
Regards Michael

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2008, 09:21 PM
photo?
looking at the headstock from the tailstock spins in a counter clockwise direction. or down towards the toolrest

robyn2839
15th June 2008, 09:21 PM
sounds like you are using the tools as scrapers perhaps ,if you look around youtube etc. you can find some demos of wood turning, when i started i was doing the same thing, i was scraping the wood away when i should have been cutting the timber away as the chisels were intended for, you should have a woodwork club somewhere around you,or at least a wood turner who probably would be only too pleased to show you how to do it ,i know i would, good luck with it .................bob

coffenup
15th June 2008, 09:30 PM
sawdust maker
That I know but I am asking about is the fibres of the tmber.
If the lathe turned the other way the tools would lift and the spur drive would not work correctly
robyn
I am getting pieces not dust of the timber. I think that lets me think I am cutting not scrapping
Regards Michael

Chipman
15th June 2008, 10:21 PM
Coffenup,

What is happening is the chisels are chipping the wood off instead of slicing it off. Making sure you have really sharp tools will help a little but it is especially a problem with pine (eg radiata)

The real solution is technique.... and more difficult with a skew chisel. If you are just starting out, try using a gouge, turn it so that the flute is facing almost along the axis of the lathe and move the handle back so the heel of the bevel is touching the wood, the handle should be just lower than the centre axis of the lathe. At this stage, it should not be cutting! Next begin to bring the handle of the gouge around until it just starts to cut.

See this video reference
YouTube - JET Tools - Lathe Basics - Gouge Chisel How-To

Now you can experiment with changing the angles and rotating the gouge to see how it works. You will notice as the gouge flute begins to face up, it will begin to cut more aggressively and in pine will chip more.

Once you have mastered the gouge, then it is time to tackle the skew... Similar principle applies with rubbing the bevel on the work... I think most cut with the point up. While you are learning be prepared for grabs... it is possibly the hardest part to master.

YouTube - JET Tools - Lathe Basics - Skew Chisel How-To

By the way, always cut downhill when turning between centres....

I hope this is the information you wanted

Chipman

coffenup
15th June 2008, 11:43 PM
chipman
those shavings are the type I had coming off the timber with the skew chisel.
I sharpened up the chisels just before I started today This is one thing I do I make sure all my tools are sharp. A blunt tool is a dangerous tool is what I been taught and I stick by that.
Thanks for those videos on turning they show me I'm on the right track with myself teaching by trail & error
thanks again
Michael

Sawdust Maker
16th June 2008, 11:52 AM
Coffenup
Sorry I (well and truly) missed the point of the question :doh:
I think Chipman has adequately covered it.
You might also nip down to your local library and see if they have any DVDs you could borrow. Also there are a few books which are helpful. The Darlow ones for example.
Perseverance is the key.
I did a two day course not long after getting the lathe
this helped immensely with technique as well

Good Luck

RETIRED
16th June 2008, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you could be cutting "uphill".

http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1919&FORUM_ID=63&CAT_ID=13&Forum_Title=Wood+Working&Topic_Title=Welcome+to+the+world+of+woodturning