PDA

View Full Version : chess pieces WIP

cadeuceus
15th June 2008, 09:10 PM
Here is a pic showing my first attempt at some chess pieces. There is a king, queen, bishop, rook and pawn. I started the knight, but killed it on the bandsaw... oopps...

This will not be the final form for any of the pieces, but i just had a bit of a go to see if i could actually make them. More later when i get better at it.

Sawdust Maker
15th June 2008, 09:16 PM
good effort
10 marks for trying
I'm not consistent enough to get pieces the same:rolleyes:
for the knights are you using the circular method?

cadeuceus
15th June 2008, 09:27 PM
heya, I am not real good at consistency either. I did the king and then I was going to try to replicate the king when I buggered it up and thought that I would make it into a queen. I have to work on the replication process.

With the knight, i am going to turn the base just like the others on the lathe and leave the square profile at the top end. Then i will draw out the head on the top (in both side and front views) and bandsaw the bulk of it away and then either by hand or with the Dremel, carve the details.

It's for my sisters upcoming wedding, but she hasn't set a date so time is on my side for a change.
Gavin

joe greiner
15th June 2008, 10:24 PM
Here's an interesting DIY accessory for duplicate turnings. Much better than a copy lathe IMHO : http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/parallax-jig.html

I've held off making a chess set because of the difficulty in carving the knights. Please help all of us by posting some WIP pics of the work on the knight.

And best wishes to your sis.

Joe

cadeuceus
15th June 2008, 10:33 PM
thanks for the thoughts. I will not be using a copying device for the lathe, but rather a template / calipers approach. These pieces are out of pine and i will probably do about 60 000 of them to get it right andthen i will try for different woods. Probably hard wood. any thoughts from anyone on nice woods for the opposing sets. I also want to make a chess board with the same wood (probably about 40 mm square) and may do it with the endgrain exposed if i can get it looking ok.

mick61
15th June 2008, 10:43 PM
G`day what about English Box and Gidgee.
Mick:D