PDA

View Full Version : More segmenting - Spaulted Hoop Pine bowl

Hardenfast
16th June 2008, 06:58 PM
I seem to be having some success with the few segmented bowls I've previously done so I thought I'd try my luck with another one using some spaulted timber slabs that I acquired recently. The person I got it from described it as spaulted Maple, but I'm pretty sure it's not. Steve from the Lumber Bunker and I tend to agree that it's probably spaulted Hoop Pine, but it's somewhat hard to be certain as there is quite a bit of deterioration.

Anyway, it looks good so I though I'd mix it with some reclaimed Australian Cedar for contrast. The timbers are of similar hardness and structure so hopefully it will remain fairly stable.

The Pine had a wide range of spaulting, from some minor grey staining to striking black/green lines - and also sections containing outright rot. I had to be a bit careful in cutting my pieces to ensure that they were relatively stable. There were also pieces which contained significant grub holes/tunnels, and some of these were retained in the finished piece for effect. I even found one live grub still in the piece as I was turning it. I don't think he enjoyed the process.

I still had some Australian Cedar sections left over from a very old demolished staircase and so sliced up a few of the balusters into 30x30 long sections. Using a technique from a previous work I cut up some wedge shaped pieces of Pine for the base and joined them together with 2mm slices of Cedar as spacers:

Using another previously used technique I cut the 30x30 Cedar into a staved shape (narrower on the inside) and docked them into short 80mm sections. When these pieces are fitted together this gives the bowl it's round shape - the diameter dependant on the angle of the staving.

I then cut some of the Pine into wedges 80mm long which are fitted to alternate with the Cedar pieces. The wedges give the bowl a flared shaped (wider diameter at the top), which means that the shape of the bowl is formed with minimal timber used. I also cut up some hexagonal sections of Cedar for a ring separating the base from the vertical staved section, and some hexagonal rings of Pine. I used a 30mm wide section for the top ring so that there was plenty of material to shape the top out of.

I joined the two bottom rings to the base and then stuck it on the lathe via an internal chuck mount before the bowl was too deep so that I could finish the base. When this was done I glued up the upper sections using my patented bench press.

I then stuck it back on the lathe via the previously cut bottom mount and roughed out the final shape. This stuff cuts like butter! I wanted to keep the hexagonal shape to the rim so worked carefully around this section. It was here that the various grub tunnels started to appear right through the piece - I tried to take some pictures with a light on the inside to highlight them. Not sure that it worked too well.

Once I had the piece shaped I gave it a quick sand through the grits up to around 450. I had to be a bit careful with the sanding process as some of the pine was actually quite soft in places, and tended to sand much quicker than the Cedar.

The end result was quite pleasing. One heavy coat of Shellawax Cream buffed to a nice shine. Overall size around 350mm diameter by around 150mm high.

A fruit bowl for our daughter in law's birthday - complete with a few timber eggs inside. She likes it.

Wayne

wheelinround
16th June 2008, 08:10 PM
A great WIP Wayne :2tsup: beautiful work as always That spalting looks fantastic time you made a press though

Grab splatter all over the face shield or your face :no: yuk

I take it you knocked that up after getting home yesterday :roll:

lubbing5cherubs
16th June 2008, 09:52 PM
bloody beautiful indeed very nice indeed
bye Toni

powderpost
16th June 2008, 10:06 PM
Very nice piece Wayne, very striking timber and well turned.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
16th June 2008, 10:08 PM
very very nice:2tsup:

weisyboy
16th June 2008, 10:16 PM
bloudy briliant mate.

Rippa
17th June 2008, 01:27 AM
Very nice piece of turning and the contrasting timbers look brilliant, :2tsup:
How did you hold the staving together while the glue set.

Rippa

Ad de Crom
17th June 2008, 05:55 AM
Holy cow Wayne, that's a real beauty.
No wonder she like it!!!!
Hey boy, keep up your good work, very very well done.
Hat off for you!!!

Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

Rum Pig
17th June 2008, 08:44 AM
Well done the spalting look's spot on:2tsup::2tsup:

Hardenfast
17th June 2008, 09:59 PM
Many thanks guys (and Toni) - your comments are all much appreciated and encouraging. Who would have thought that timber that's beginning to rot could look so good?

Ray (Wheelin), I don't wear a face shield I'm afraid. Thinking about it - but I'm still to find one that feels OK and has good visibility. In the meantime, yes, I guess I'll continue to wear the occasional shredded grub when I'm working the spaulted pine. Gunna make me a press for these things soon......:-

Rippa, the staved pieces are particularly hard to clamp because of the shape (obviously). I simply use a cross-linked PVA glue and employ the "rub" technique - make sure each surface is fully coated and then rub the pieces together to ensure firm contact over the whole bonding surface.

I join two pieces together at a time (a stave and a wedge), then join two of the double pieces into a four section piece etc etc. Sounds harder than it is, and it actually doesn't take too long as the improved PVA glue starts to grab after 10 mins or so - although you obviously don't put any tension on the joint for quite a while. The last few sections can be a little tricky to correctly fit into the ring depending on how accurate your maths and joinery is. The end result is worth it though, when people look at the finished product and ask "HTF" did you do that?

Anyway, hopefully these photos will give a few people some ideas.

Wayne

Fredo
17th June 2008, 10:50 PM
Great job Wayne I'm impressed with the bowl and the tutorial. I have never tried a segmented bowl, only some glued up spindles, some day maybe.
Keep up the good work.

Fredo :U

ss_11000
17th June 2008, 11:10 PM
Nice Bowl:2tsup: and a great WIP too:cool:

I dont think a spalted timber on a fruit bowl is a good idea:? (even tho it looks awesome:D)But if you've finished it well enough (and it looks like you have), hopefully your DIL will have no worries.

cheers

TEEJAY
18th June 2008, 07:42 PM
Wow very nice and your patented press looks very similar to mine :D http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75078

artme
18th June 2008, 10:07 PM
That is a beauty!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Wondered where my bench press had gone!:?:?:?

Hardenfast
21st June 2008, 01:16 PM
Have a go at a segmented piece, Fredo. As long as you have some basic woodwork ability it's quite easy to put a few pieces of contrasting timber together, and the end results can be quite rewarding. I've seen your works and your turning ability is excellent, so these things will be relatively easy for you.

SS (Stirlo?) - the spaulting process is halted as soon as the moisture source is removed from the timber, so it's quite safe. As with any fungus, the wood rot organisms which begin the spaulting process cannot survive without an ongoing & abundant moisture supply, so they quickly perish once the timber is dry - leaving only the spaulting (or rotted timber) as evidence of their presence. A nice heavy coating of Shellawax (bee's wax + shellac) is a most suitable & safe sealant for these works.

TeeJay - Artme..... yes, the bench press is a bit embarrassing, but one can't have everything - can one? I've seen some very nice examples here in the Forums of presses which I fully intend to copy - one day.... In the meantime mine does the job and is fully adjustable for pressure applied - you simple add another tin of paint! Your model looks a little more advanced than mine, TeeJay. Could still use some improvement though, I guess. One day......

Wayne