PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen for the kids

rhancock
17th June 2008, 11:03 PM
Walking through Chermside Hell, sorry, Shopping Centre one day a few months ago, SWMBO spots a beautiful kitchen, only $350! Stupid here opens his mouth "I can make that, sheet of ply, few screws, couple of old handles..."

That was six months ago, of course the real world intervened... Still working in progress...

Anyway, here's a quick summary so far. I'd like to claim that its fine woodworking, but its not, its a kids kitchen. So its cheap ($60 for a sheet of BC ply, $5 for a bag of hinges, all from Bretts at Windsor), its quick (six months in progress, total time in the workshop, 2, maybe 3 days in total), but its solid.

Pic 1: the inspiration, with credit to the original designers
Pic 2: A sheet of ply, 15mm, BC so one side's good and the other side's better, 2.4x1.2, $60!
Pic 3: Cutting
Pic 4: My beauty, 9" dewalt, with saw guide
Pic 5: Routing channels.

I decided that as well as screwing and gluing, I'd route channels to fit together the main carcass box to add strength. Great plan, but there are no 15mm router bits in the world, so the channels ended up 16mm. To compensate the channels wobble from side to side slightly, so that the inserted board touches at some points, but not all the way along. A great idea, that failed in the implementation...:no:

Pic 6: Main box glued up - cargo straps make such good all round clamps! I did use the sash clamps during glue up, but the straps are easier to move around.
Pic 7: Cutting the worktop ends, by hand, after marking with the compasses I got as a bonus with the callipers I bought on Ebay
Pic 8:Very rough Shooting Board. Never used one of these before, now I'm in love! I bought the bench hook second hand for $1.70 - left the sticker on in memory. Fortunately its square. Bought the No 5 for $5, sharpened the blade and its away - plastic handles so its not a great tool, but its great for this job.
Pic 9: All glued and ready to fill the screw holes with builders bog, sand all over, coat of paint or 6, add accessories, and let the kids loose.

More to follow...

Wongo
18th June 2008, 10:11 AM
Very nice. I think it is so much better than the bought one.:2tsup:

TEEJAY
18th June 2008, 07:24 PM
Arh the joys of a little girl - I want one but SWMBO doesn't agree :-

Anyway having said that my little 3yo boy would ever so quickly turn the lovely photo 1 into any of the other dismantled pics.

Does look to be coming together nicely though.

Just one tip rc - your time at these tasks will never be paid for with efficiency - you have to just enjoy the journey and be happy you are with your hobby not an efficient manufacturer like the production line that made the Chermside paperwood model.

PS I am with you in avoiding the big supermarkets. But I did spend some time in Sydney Queen Victoria building last weekend and saw some wonderful ideas in their upmarket woodworking shop full of $$$expensive$$$ souveniers (sp?)

rhancock
17th July 2008, 10:54 PM
Quick update:

All the woodwork's done. From a distance the joints all look ok, and its only the kids who'll put their heads inside to have a close look. :rolleyes:

Spent a fair few hours with the sander, which is always my most hated job, but the new makita palm sander I acquired (thanks Dean!) has done a fantastic job.

One coat of 3 in 1 primer sander undercoat and one of pink enamel semi gloss. Swmbo (aka "Colour Consultant") decided its too pink, so the next coat will be paler. Then the girls will get creative with coordinating colours.

My last job is to attach perspex and handles to the doors and fit the doors to the frame. Glue on the "hot plates" - you can see them on the bench. I'll make a wooden tap too (the one in the pic has a ball and stick on a piece of elastic so it moves around like a proper tap) and I think that'll do. Swmbo is still thinking about the controls for the oven and microwave...

Next job, train table with drawer that converts to kids dining table. I think I'll need another sheet of ply!

BTW, Is there a mod around who might move this to the toy forum?

MALPT
17th July 2008, 11:56 PM
Good Work! Well Done (and I think the Colour Consultant is correct fwiw)

:way2go:

Andy Mac
18th July 2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Rhancock,
That is really special... well done!:2tsup: Far and away better than any of those plastic things on offer.

Cheers,

artme
18th July 2008, 08:37 PM
Well done! That is afine pice of work. I remember seeing you little girl at TT&WWW Show.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Btw. When do you become baptised as one of the chosen?:p:p:p

rhancock
18th July 2008, 10:19 PM
It was done this week!

Redgy
20th July 2008, 07:19 PM
Well done Richard, your daughter will love it and swmbo's friends will think you're just fantastic :wink:

I built one for my daughter's 3rd birthday and she'll be 6 soon. She still plays with it everyday which gives me a great deal of joy.

Redgy

artme
21st July 2008, 07:39 PM
Now in an earlier post you promised a good old fashioned celebration.... so?????
Sooryy about the lousy spelling in my last post ..... mustabeenpist.:D

rhancock
25th July 2008, 10:21 PM
Here it is!

Looks very cute. Much better than the shop model. I think the stainless steel adds a bit of sparkle.

Can't wait for the morning now, to see her face!

I'd be happier overall if the corners were more consistently square, and the joints were a bit tighter, but this is the first woodwork project I've got finished in years.

Next is a little train table for Sam.

blackhole
25th July 2008, 10:25 PM
:2tsup:

Four hinges on the door ....... built to last!

Well done.

rhancock
25th July 2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I know, but the steel in the hinges is actually quite soft and the screws are very short, so I went over the top. I got a bagful of these for $15 from Bretts, so had plenty to use!

rhancock
25th July 2008, 10:31 PM
Oh, and Artme, the celebration is a very sore point in this household at the moment!

Ozkaban
25th July 2008, 10:32 PM
Looks awesome! Really Well Done :2tsup::2tsup:

one guaranteed happy customer in the morning!!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Chipman
25th July 2008, 11:26 PM
Absolutely spectacular:2tsup:.... looks better than my kitchen!:D

I am sure your children love their gifts almost as much as their Dad!

(strong hinges are an absolute must with kids... I know what happens to the doors in my science lab at school!)

Cheers,

Chipman:)

colbra
26th July 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi Richard
Well done top job looking forward to see more :2tsup::2tsup:

regards colbra:)

rhancock
26th July 2008, 09:50 AM
And this is what the kids did with it this morning!

munruben
26th July 2008, 10:23 PM
Excellent Richard, top marks. You have made one little girl very happy and with good reason too. Nice work much better than the shop one. congratulations. Job well done.:2tsup::2tsup:

Milar
29th July 2008, 09:02 PM
Congrats, looks fantastic. SWMBO suggested that I might want to start making one for my little girl, so thanks for the inspiration.

Sawdust Maker
1st August 2008, 08:07 PM
Richard
very nice work :2tsup:
one lucky girl
I'm glad I've got boys, blocks are easy to make!

rhancock
1st August 2008, 09:06 PM
I know what you mean, but my next project is a train table for the little boys train set - drawers, hidden lid, etc, etc... Not quite as fiddly as the kitchen, fortunately.

The little girl adores her kitchen - she's forever making meals for us! She even had to take the laptop outside so she could show Granny in the UK on the webcam!

Johncs
7th December 2008, 01:03 PM
Great plan, but there are no 15mm router bits in the world, .

Try this (http://sawandbits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_29&products_id=182)

keju
7th December 2008, 08:57 PM
That big smile on your little one's face must have made it all worth it.... that's one happy little girl from the looks of it!

Now when you make the train table.. how about letting the little boy help? That'll make even better memories then the kitchen!

Congrats on your certificate.... I have one of those..... got it 4 years ago and am proud of it :)

Juvy