PDA

View Full Version : Information Not To Ignore

Neil
17th February 2004, 12:04 AM
This just came in to my inbox from my daughter, thought it worthy of a run here. Might make us look twice before sitting down in a public place. - Neil :(

INFORMATION NOT TO IGNORE.

A few weeks ago in a movie theatre in Melbourne a person sat on something that was poking out of one of the seats. When she got up to see what it was she found a needle sticking out of the seat with a note attached saying "You have just been infected by HIV". The Disease control Centre in Melbourne reports many similar incidents have occurred in many other Australian cities recently. All tested needles are HIV Positive.

The Centre also reports that needles have been found in the cash dispensers in ATMs. We ask everyone to use extreme caution when faced with this kind of situation. All public chairs/seats should be inspected with vigilance and caution before use. 17 people have been tested positive in the Western suburbs alone in the last 2 months!!! A careful visual inspection should be enough. In addition they ask that each of you pass this message along to all members of your family and your friends of the potential danger. We all have to be careful at public places! This is very important. Just think about saving a life of someone even you don't know by forwarding this message. Please, take a few seconds of your time to pass it along.

Australian Red Cross Blood Service
Ph: (08) 94212877
Fax: (08) 94212366
e-mail: [email protected]

zymurgy
17th February 2004, 12:26 AM
Neil,

See Hoax (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax5.asp?HName=HIV+Warning+Hoax) Information.

Gordon.

Nic0
17th February 2004, 01:16 AM
That email has been going around for a while and is a hoax, have a look at.
http://www.snopes.com/

Wongo
17th February 2004, 09:44 AM
Dear Neil,

I'd like to thank you for this post. It shows that you really care for others (members of the forum).

I will still share the information with my family.

Scott

arose62
17th February 2004, 10:04 AM
I will still share the information with my family.

It's MIS-information, no matter the high quality of the motivation.

When this was originally circulating, it caused the Red Cross great grief, having to answer thousands of enquiries per day.

A little pre-checking, in order to NOT perpetuate hoaxes, will not only save your family unnecessary worry, but avoid potential damage to worthwhile institutions.

Cheers,
Andrew

Sir Stinkalot
17th February 2004, 10:26 AM
Have you heard about the razor blades in the waterside??? :D

Wongo
17th February 2004, 10:33 AM
Andrew,

I was only going to ask my wife to be a bit more careful. I will also let her know it is a hoax.

Is it possible to find needle sticking out of the seat?

FYI
I did not circulate this message to anyone else. I did not ring the Red Cross and I am not worry.

Darth Debra
17th February 2004, 11:09 AM
You know normally I dont forward these warnings and check first but today I shot first and asked questions later.
Its sad to think we take such hoaxes seriously but with the world as it is the story was very plausible besides even if it isnt true it doesnt hurt to be a little more aware.
Thanx anyway Neil
Debs

Eastie
17th February 2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Neil
.... Might make us look twice before sitting down in a public place. - Neil :[/i]

I agree. In my work I’ve come across countless plumber, cleaners, fire equipment service techs, stewardesses, …, … who have suffered needle stick injuries whilst going about their jobs. One that 'sticks' in memory was a cleaner who picked up a discarded McD’s paper bag and was stuck with a needle inside. On a similar note I found a tablet of unknown substance in a sugar dispenser at a cafe' about five years back – luckily I was tipping the sugar on to a tea spoon before adding it to the coffee. I have no time for such low lifes oxygen thieves.

col2
17th February 2004, 11:57 PM
I work with State Rail in NSW, and intentional or not, our cleaners have found used needles in the seats of trains. !!!!!

Colin

Darth Debra
18th February 2004, 07:59 AM
Sad isn't it? I cant imagine the mentality of a person that would deliberately set up other humans to be hurt in this way.
Maybe its time for a zero tolerence attitude to hard drugs of addiction and I would gladly pay extra taxes to see that its done.
Remember sometimes to defeat the monster you have to become the monster.

Phew this is getting a bit heavy.....anyone know a good joke:)

Neil
18th February 2004, 08:50 AM
http://www.ubeaut.biz/suicide.gif OK, I'm a dickhead. But hoax or not it is pretty bloody plausible and a sad inditement on the times we live in.

Neil :rolleyes:

PS zymurgy - how did you discover it was a hoax?

Darth Debra
19th February 2004, 07:55 AM
Neil.. trendmicro.com has them listed as well as a free online virus checker.
Debs

DaveInOz
19th February 2004, 09:41 AM
FWIW I use Symantec hoax page (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html)

zymurgy
19th February 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Neil
PS zymurgy - how did you discover it was a hoax?

Neil, it just wasn't plausable.

First problem was identified in Melbourne, but telephone number to call was Adelaide. Second, with such a large number of contacts, how come I hadn't noticed a media frenzy.

So a quick Google search showed many 'hoax' items - I just picked the first in list.

Gordon.

DanP
19th February 2004, 06:29 PM
I'm with Col2,

Hoax or not the advice is good. I worked on the trains for 2 1/2 years and found/heard of countless syringes placed point up between the seats of trains. Don't underestimate the sick minds of the scum of the world. I always look at everything I sit on.

Dan

Ratmick
19th February 2004, 09:07 PM
..a few years back I was catching a train from Spencer Street Station in Melbourne.

As I needed to go, and there's no toilets on suburban trains, I decided to use the men's on the platform. I was standing having a quiet leak contemplating my navel (probably too much info) when I looked around. I could see, without moving my feet (too messy), around 10 used syringes. They were tucked behind the cistern, under the rim in the bowl, in the window louvres, in holes kicked in the back of the door...they were bloody everywhere!

I don't think the platform dunnies are used anymore, and I now live in an area serviced by toileted trains and patrolled by conductors. I could relate another ten or twenty other stories about druggies on the train, but it'd probably depress you.

Mick

Ben from Vic.
19th February 2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Darth Debra

Phew this is getting a bit heavy.....anyone know a good joke:)

I've got a great one, it's an Irish knock-knock joke.

You start.

:rolleyes:

Yes I know.

barnsey
20th February 2004, 12:23 AM
So now that we may have inadvertently perpetuated a hoax, what's to say that the same sick puppies who started it decide - "Well I'll fix your little red wagon"

Fact is you could get caught walking on the beach, so any increased awareness is to be regarded as heresy?

Might just increase the awareness level personally

Jamie