PDA

View Full Version : A set of two plus eight mahogany chairs...

Woodwould
19th June 2008, 10:49 AM
Fuelled by some of the very generous responses to my recent posts and with my ego well basted, I have decided to post some more pictures of past work. Before I continue though; shared pictures can be useful and sometimes inspirational to beginners, but I detest a show-off as much as the next man, so if any of you feel I am being an imperious bore, please speak up now. I am old enough and big enough not to take offence. If you don't protest now, I may continue posting similar accounts until my recently rediscovered photos have all been aired. On your own heads be it!

Some long standing customers were on the market for a set of ten Georgian mahogany dining chairs. Medium to large sets of chairs are fetching high premiums and due to their rarity, the choice of styles can be limited. The couple had searched widely for suitable sets of chairs and I offered a few examples my self, but to no avail.

They had previously bought a fine pair of mahogany elbow chairs from another Melbourne dealer which they were inspired by and used daily in their living room. As they were so fond of the two elbow chairs, I eventually suggested having eight side chairs made to match them, thus creating a very acceptable set of ten chairs.

One of the original 18th century mahogany elbow chairs.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_05b.jpg

Some of the partially constructed chair frames.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_04b.jpg

Note the arcs in the back of the copy are proportionately narrower than the ones in the elbow chair. Elbow chairs are always somewhat wider than side chairs due to the restrictions of the elbows and supports. (Always be suspicious of any elbow chairs that are the same width as the side chairs – they are most likely just side chairs with later added arms.)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_02b.jpg

One of the original chairs again…
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_08b.jpg

…and one of the copies.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_09b.jpg

The set of two plus eight dining chairs ready to be upholstered/reupholstered. (The red silk seat of the second elbow chair can be seen in the background.)
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_10b.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/mahogany_dining_chairs_07b.jpg

It may appear I have done nothing but make copies of chairs; I have made copies of just about every conceivable sort of seventeenth and eighteenth century furniture. I may post some more of it in due course.

Arch Stanton
19th June 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm happy to keep looking at your work. Please keep posting.

Ironwood
19th June 2008, 11:04 AM
I'm happy to keep looking at your work. Please keep posting.

Me too.

Fuzzie
19th June 2008, 11:10 AM
I promise to keep my oohs and ahhs quiet. I'll happily sit back and be inspired!

However there will be the obligatory 'how do you do that?' inquiry. For starters, how do you work the mouldings on the backs? The backs seem to be assembled from flatish pieces then the reeding run around the uprights and arcs. Do you hand carve, use a scratch stock or a some other electrical moulder?

Cheers, Fuzzie

Chipman
19th June 2008, 11:12 AM
Really beautiful work:2tsup:

Did you carve the backs of the chairs by hand? and if so what type of tools did you use?

Or did you use some sort of machinery to do it.. I guess today, they would be done with a cnc router.

I have always been interested in how the backs are shaped and especially how it would have originally been done

Regards,
Chipman

Woodwould
19th June 2008, 11:20 AM
Really beautiful work:2tsup:

Did you carve the backs of the chairs by hand? and if so what type of tools did you use?

Or did you use some sort of machinery to do it.. I guess today, they would be done with a cnc router.

I have always been interested in how the backs are shaped and especially how it would have originally been done

Regards,
Chipman

Thanks for the kindness.

The individual components were cut out with either a bandsaw or coping saw, but the carving can only be done with traditional carving gouges and chisels. A router system (if indeed a router could achieve the small details) would produce a bland, even effect that would shout "modern repro".

The minute differences and irregularities created with hand tools are part and parcel of antique furniture and the antique look of good copies.

Woodwould
19th June 2008, 11:26 AM
I promise to keep my oohs and ahhs quiet. I'll happily sit back and be inspired!

However there will be the obligatory 'how do you do that?' inquiry. For starters, how do you work the mouldings on the backs? The backs seem to be assembled from flatish pieces then the reeding run around the uprights and arcs. Do you hand carve, use a scratch stock or a some other electrical moulder?

Cheers, Fuzzie

Sorry, I almost missed your post. :B

No electrical tools were used anywhere on the chairs other than the aforementioned bandsaw.

I usually rough out the tapered mouldings of the back and legs with a gouge and then finish with one or more scratchstocks.

The crest rails are entirely done with normal carving tools.

wheelinround
19th June 2008, 04:41 PM
Impressive work woodwould that is the sort of work many aspire to :2tsup:

Please more encore

Koala-Man
19th June 2008, 04:51 PM
Me too.

Me too.

Wongo
19th June 2008, 04:54 PM
You are good Woodwould. You are good.

Poppa
22nd June 2008, 12:44 AM
I don't believe that I would ever get bored by your posts Woodwould, nor think that you are merely showing off. Beautiful work, inspirational stuff, from a master craftsman. Please show us (eventually!) all the photos you've got...

Claw Hama
22nd June 2008, 01:12 AM
True craftsman / sorry craftsperson ship excelent work, and yes keep us inspired Woodwould. Hand tools are such a pleasure to use and so quiet and almost dustless too.:2tsup:

Ashes
22nd June 2008, 08:32 AM
Can I ask how much time a project like that would set you back?

Beautiful work:2tsup:

artme
22nd June 2008, 09:49 AM
of veiwing beautiful things - scenery, women, WW's work.
Once again, magic!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodwould
22nd June 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone.

Can I ask how much time a project like that would set you back?

Beautiful work:2tsup:

I delved back into my day book and there is aproximately 200 hours in that particular set of chairs.

derekcohen
22nd June 2008, 01:11 PM
Hi Woodwould

Your craftsmanship is very very impressive. May you never feel that you are "showing off" with pictures of your work. There are so many different levels of woodworkers here, with differing interests, and differing methods. The greater majority are hobbiests wanting to improve. We all share to learn more. No one is above learning more.

All that said, I would love not only more images of your work, but (if and when possible) pictures of work in progress (WIP) with technique (hand work is preferred but I am happy with machine work as well).

Welcome to the forum!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Woodwould
22nd June 2008, 01:24 PM
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement Derek. My photo resource, albeit pathetically small and incomplete is almost exhausted, but with all the supportive replies I've received, I will continue to post the remainder.

Unfortunately I no longer have a shop, but I will be posting pictures and details of a Windsor chair I will be doing for myself shortly.

Wood Borer
22nd June 2008, 01:44 PM
Wonderful work and inspiring - keep them coming.:2tsup:

thkoutsidthebox
23rd June 2008, 05:06 AM
.....A router system (if indeed a router could achieve the small details) would produce a bland, even effect that would shout "modern repro".
I have to disagree with this I'm afraid. The quality of the carving on a cnc is dependant upon many things, and I firmly believe that with someone whose competant making the 3D models to carve from, using the correct size bits (1/16" or 1/32" in this case for the required detail) that the end result would be just as excellent. Plus it would be phenomonally faster than doing all by hand. :;

That said, your work is truely inspirational. I definately couldn't create those chairs myself, and the fact that the mouldings were done by hand is even more amazing. You are a true craftsperson, and I can't compliment your work enough. I think 'WOW' about nearly covers it. Really fantastic.

Fireguard
23rd June 2008, 05:48 AM
Keep the pics coming :D:D:D:D

I have no-where near the skill level to do something like that myself, but like many others, looking at other people work gives ideas and inspiration - I might not be able to do that sort of work now, but maybe in the future I might be able to use your work as a base idea for something else.

Keep the pics coming and the chairs look great :2tsup:

Woodwould
23rd June 2008, 08:28 AM
I have to disagree with this I'm afraid. The quality of the carving on a cnc is dependant upon many things, and I firmly believe that with someone whose competant making the 3D models to carve from, using the correct size bits (1/16" or 1/32" in this case for the required detail) that the end result would be just as excellent. Plus it would be phenomonally faster than doing all by hand. :;

That said, your work is truely inspirational. I definately couldn't create those chairs myself, and the fact that the mouldings were done by hand is even more amazing. You are a true craftsperson, and I can't compliment your work enough. I think 'WOW' about nearly covers it. Really fantastic.

I don't have any real experience of routers other than what I've seen them produce, but if setting up five and six axis CNC mills is any indication of the complexity and time required, and assuming a router could actually perform the same degree of detail (although even a 1/32" diameter cutter would be far too coarse for some of the detail), the set-up time to execute the multi-axis cutting would undoubtedly be slower and more costly than doing it by hand. And I still believe it would look routered. I could be wrong though.

I also believe if someone is capable of 'teaching' a router to do this level of carving, then would there not be many more benefits to learning to do it by hand?

Thanks for the praise. You could easily achieve the same level of workmanship with dedication and plenty of practise.

WoodJunky
23rd June 2008, 09:26 PM
I don't believe that I would ever get bored by your posts Woodwould, nor think that you are merely showing off. Beautiful work, inspirational stuff, from a master craftsman. Please show us (eventually!) all the photos you've got.I totally agree with what poppa said,
I'm am more than happy to keep looking at your work. Please keep posting.