PDA

View Full Version : Burnt it, or turn it...? (part-1)

robutacion
20th June 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, this is what I'm trying to save from being burnt into a big pile, (more on my web site bellow, under "timber sales"). I will be turning lots of it and for I can see and tell, this timber is going to produce some amazing pieces. Still green, is going to be cut and sealed for further use but while that happens I will enjoy turning some green blanks. The dark timbers (heart) did show some unusual hardness when rounding with the chainsaw so, its going to be fun...!:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Harry72
20th June 2008, 08:57 AM
So that almond tree is it?

Looks very similar to many Acacia's like salicina, I'll bring some to the Adel shed meet so you can have a looksy:)

wheelinround
20th June 2008, 09:39 AM
nice looking wood great web site:2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
20th June 2008, 02:18 PM
Harry72, yep there is it, alright!:D Sure mate, I will have plenty of stuff also on that shed meeting, for everyone to have a good "looksy"! looksys are good........!:wink:.

wheelinround, thanks, you're welcome!:)

I had to change my plans, this morning, on the process and timing to save this good timber from being burnt in a pile. The 2 weeks given to me before the trees would be pilled up, is no longer possible as the trees were pilled up yesterday, for reasons I don't want to talk about at the moment, lets just say, "good friends and human greed"!.
I'm not sure how much more I'm going to be able to salvage, as the trees are going to be pilled up, down a steep hill in very deep sandy loose soil, and "covered, not buried" with tons of loose sand, enough for burning very soon!:o:~:no:.
I only manage 3 loads of a 6x4 trailer, (only 1 piece per tree, the short trunk!), before this all happen, and the bigger trees were still there to collect, now they are going to be probably impossible to reach and buried under tons of other trees, roots, sand and all...! I have the quad bike in the trailer, expecting not to be able to get near the pile(s) with my Ford Waggon and trailer due to the sand and hill slope. I will see when I get there...!:?

Did anyway say..., "live and let live!"???? yeah, sure:((

I will update when I get back.

RBTCO

artme
20th June 2008, 08:27 PM
:o:o:o:o

Jarrahrules
20th June 2008, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, this is what I'm trying to save from being burnt into a big pile, (more on my web site bellow, under "timber sales"). I will be turning lots of it and for I can see and tell, this timber is going to produce some amazing pieces. Still green, is going to be cut and sealed for further use but while that happens I will enjoy turning some green blanks. The dark timbers (heart) did show some unusual hardness when rounding with the chainsaw so, its going to be fun...!:D

RBTCO

This is just an advertisment for you selling the timber to be turn. Am I right???
YES.

However it does look good.
JAMC:2tsup::2tsup:

Big Shed
20th June 2008, 09:08 PM
This is just an advertisment for you selling the timber to be turn. Am I right???
YES.

I think you are!

Jarrahrules
20th June 2008, 09:12 PM
I think you are!

What do you think Big shed this should be in Buy and swap Items.

Jamc:D:D

robutacion
20th June 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Just before I give an update on today's relevant events, I would like to respond to Jarrahrules, and Big Shed "assumptions" in relation to this thread intentions. I don't really see what the problems is guys?, the original thread for my sales have already been moved by moderator(s) to Buy, Sell & Swap forum page, would showing a pic of a turned piece out of this wood, before or together with the current pics, make any difference to your opinions?, since when showing the source of your timbers, mean they are for sale, only?. How many other timber species origins have I shared with everyone here, well before I even decided to put some of them for sale? Why is sharing some of my findings, a problem? Why is showing the timber before I had the chance to turn it, an issue? I have made public of my decision to sell at least 60% of my stock, precisely because the fact that I'm always on the look for turning timbers, the amount of timber I gather is a direct result of the amount of effort, time and money I put into it, regardless if I sell any or not. The fact that I made a decision that is humanly impossible to turn all the timbers I work for (never had a single log dropped at my front steps, even if for free!), and out of the 60% I can't turn, make it (them) available to "all" forumates, regardless of location, be such a drama? I make no distinctions to anyone that wants to buy some, but that part is clearly explained on "turning timbers for sale" on the Buy, Sell & Swap forum page, and on my web site, mentioned on my forum page signature, every time I post so, no, you both are wrong, this thread is about the Almond trees I'm trying to salvage from being all burnt, at a considerable time and expense to me, so that I can have some rare almond timber to turn, when ready! It so happen that possibly 60% of it will be for sale, like any other timbers of mine, previously collected (stored), and/or from future "findings", until the day I can't move my damaged body anymore and/or at all!
Fairdinken guys, fair go...!:no:

Now, back to the thread issue, todays trip didn't produce any additional almond timber, due to the fact that, the machine is still there working on pilling the trees for burning. From where I was, I could count 27 piles already done, with maybe 10% of the plantation to go. Is obviously taking for them, longer than expected, maybe the weather isn't helping, or just the fact that they were actually 1.630 almond trees planted on that block!:o
The trip wasn't a total lost, has I had already negotiated a deal with another farmer only a few kms away, for a variety of timber species, some for turning (sales or no sales) and some for dry firewood (no good for anything else) for my own use.
I started with the removal of a log (stump), 3' tall x 1' 1/2 diameter, from the house front yard of an unknown timber species, apart from some small "shuts" growing from it. The next was a wild olive tree growing like a bush, and than an old olive tree stump, that I requested to be pulled out from the ground.

These timbers will be an issue for other thread, next!.

RBTCO

hughie
21st June 2008, 11:46 AM
RBTC,
Well what ever happens to the timber,one thing for sure its gonna make some damn fine turned items. :2tsup:

robutacion
21st June 2008, 12:39 PM
RBTC,
Well what ever happens to the timber,one thing for sure its gonna make some damn fine turned items. :2tsup:

Hi hughie,

My point precisely, and I couldn't agree more...!
I will most certainly have a fair go at it, will you?:oo::wink::D

RBTCO

Andy Mac
21st June 2008, 01:52 PM
What amazing looking timber! Well done, its a great score. Is the lighter sapwood as hard as the heart timber? Does it stay together or split apart?

Cheers,

rsser
21st June 2008, 02:55 PM
Nice timber to turn but a b*gger to dry. In my experience, get rid of all bark and sapwood before trying.

That's re the nut species btw. What's this? Nut or 'flowering'?

Frank&Earnest
21st June 2008, 03:08 PM
From the description of what's happening, it's safe to say that they are all nuts.:D

rsser
21st June 2008, 03:45 PM
Lol.

hughie
21st June 2008, 05:22 PM
I will most certainly have a fair go at it, will you?:oo::wink::D

No worries, definitely give it a fair go. :2tsup:

robutacion
21st June 2008, 11:42 PM
What amazing looking timber! Well done, its a great score. Is the lighter sapwood as hard as the heart timber? Does it stay together or split apart?

Cheers,

Hi Andy,

So far, I can tell you that, as green wood, the heart timber felt, harder to cut with the chainsaw, mainly when I was cutting the round blanks. Most fruit tree timbers do split quite quickly, almond is no different but, like so many other timbers, the way it is cut, how its sealed and how/where it dries, can make the difference between end-up with small pieces with big cracks or big pieces with small cracks. Ideally, void major cracks to develop by cutting, seal it and put is away in a well ventilated place, as quick as possible after the trees have been cut (in within 4 weeks max.). I'm a strong believer that for most timbers, particularly unstable ones, instead of waiting 2 or 3 years for a log/blank to dry, having it rough turn green, coating it with a decent stabiliser and let it dry for a few months, is a must safer and quicker way of finishing successfully your turnings. Is obviously that, other turners will have other ideas/solutions, with exceptions to any rule applying...!:wink:

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>21st Jun 2008 01:25 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 757575" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>rsser</TD><TD class=alt2>Nice timber to turn but a b*gger to dry. In my experience, get rid of all bark and sapwood before trying.

That's re the nut species btw. What's this? Nut or 'flowering'?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP- 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>21st Jun 2008 01:38 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 757580" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Frank&Earnest</TD><TD class=alt2>From the description of what's happening, it's safe to say that they are all nuts.:D </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well rsser, the trees were nut producers, and Frank&Earnest, is absolutely right, maybe contagious to some (local) humans...!:o:roll::U

Thanks hughie.:)

PS: some pics taken this afternoon, after I water washed the logs I got, in my last load (last Thursday). The wet timber did reflect bright reds in the pics, there are no editing or special effects at all, they show as they looked with the afternoon sun shinning on them!:?

RBTCO

robutacion
23rd June 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I was back to the ex-almond plantation today to assess the situation after I know, the pilling up lasted until Saturday morning. I did hope for some heavy rain in the weekend, to clean most of the top sand from the logs/trunks from pilling but, I got a few drops instead, didn't do anything...!:~
My 18" damaged chainsaw bar used with the tungsten chain, did only last 1 (one) log (2 cuts), after my attempt to repair it in the weekend (very must lost cause even before I thought in repair it). The new one is on its way so, I used my 16" Husky with normal chains for the rest of the afternoon.Done 31 logs/trunks in 6 hours and 6 chains totally blunt.:doh::no:

The piles are meters high, and difficult to work with, is like fighting with half a dozen octopuses at the same time...!:( the dangerous part is to be on the top cutting a tree trunk with a 200 kilos of soil attached to the root, and as it separates, the whole top pile where you are collapses, because that root or thunk/branches where supporting the rest around it, I endup in a hole twice, and that did hurt!:((.

I still not know (trust) for sure, how long before is all burnt!:?
I will wait until my new bar arrives from Melbourne, (left today) before I destroy any more normal chains, and organise a few more dollars for chain oils, fuel oils mix, chainsaw petrol and vehicle fuel ($100 every 3 trips!:oo:).

There is no doubt that I can't recover all that wood under those piles (not allowed to mess-up the piles) about 60-70% or so, but with todays load, I got approx. 170 to 180 logs/trunks stored safely (sort of, at least away from being burnt). Shame that they are not all big ones (I explained before, why!). I'm looking for the big stuff now, to get first but I only can get what I can reach, some how..., huh?
Will see...!

RBTCO

OGYT
24th June 2008, 04:26 AM
RBTCO, thanks for posting these pics of the timber. I lived on a ranch in California when I was a kid. We had an almond orchard. This is the first time that I remember seeing inside the bark.
Looks a lot like our Walnut... Black Walnut and English...

robutacion
10th July 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

From the last load, shown previously, and after the process of being stacked on the fence, washed, both ends sealed (painted) and moved under cover after some heavy rain soaked them, I manage to cut nearly half of the load, mainly all the longer trunks/logs where I easily divided in 3 pieces (bottom, middle and top). New chain on the electric chainsaw and I was having some fun going through all these logs. No two pieces are ever the same but I knew what to expect after I done a few, until I come across one trunk that look no different on the outside, with its ends already painted I didn't seen anything different nor I remember to have painted it, probably because most of the painting was done by my wife:C, but as soon as I cut it, I notice an unusual markings and colours on the log's heart so, I finished cutting it the same way as the others (3 pieces and then halved (ripped through the middle), and got the digital camera for a pic session after I've conducted an "preliminary exam":o.
I got it a side for further examinations:roll:. Got about 17 or so trunks cut, sealed (painted) and stacked on top of a pallet floor, on my safe main drying area, and this will be where they will stay for a while, unless "someone" decides to do a bit of green turning...!:;
I finish that lot very late, about 10:00 PM, just before we had some heavy rain:doh:. Actually, the last wheel barrow of timber (from where they were done outside to where they would be stored, approx 8 meters away), was done under light rain, enough to make it a very slippery exercise, as the paint was totally wet (second coat), and after a little while may hands were covered with wet paint also, making gripping difficult. I had to run to get it all under cover before was too late, but the biggest surprise was when I got near the air compressor to blow the sawdust and other on me before I would get into the house, and realise that I was covered with paint everywhere, literally!
Some of these paints are sourced from people that don't like the colour, and for what the paint is used for, colour doesn't make any difference at all but, this one isn't a colour that I would want to have my working clothes covered with but I sure was:((. No, no, no, the colour was/is, bloody PINK :~. Yeah I know...!
The bad news for me is that, I have to do it all again today, the other half load needs to be done ASAP, I'm just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit (raining just before), and it looks like I'm going to have the same troubles as yesterday with the weather!:(

Anyway, just have a look at these pics (the last few from that unusual trunk), and enjoy!
This time, I've positioned the cut logs to look like human legs, sort of!:D

For any other information is relation to this timber, please check at;
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=73036&page=4 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=73036&page=4)

RBTCO

artme
10th July 2008, 05:59 PM
But hell, that is one load of really fascinating timber> Good luck to you!:2tsup::2tsup:

robutacion
23rd September 2008, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone,

About a month or so ago, I decide to spend the day turning some green almond, that I had sliced in various thickness "disks" like those on pics 6 & 7 on my previous post, above. I picked a full almond trunk that I felt good enough for the "test", but not the best stuff "older trees".
The idea was to utilise the quite interesting tree centres colours and shapes, and create something from there.:D

Like I said, the trunk only had the ends painted from when they were cut and stored, this was only a couple of months or so ago. I have never turned green almond, but I was perfectly aware of the timber sensitivity and easily checking (cracking/warping), in many cases and/or when timber is not cut and dried in a certain way, (normal way of making blanks out of logs). Another part of this experiment, was the effectiveness (to a certain point) of the stabiliser I use (Fungishield), in relation to its capability to void timber crackings after green turning and drying process. This has been tested with many other timbers with absolute excellent results, but this one was very much "pushing the boundaries", as I was expecting the pieces to stress and crack in within the first hour of turning.:o

The principle of the turnings were the same, only the thickness of the disc's would very from 1.5" to 8", the trunk diameter was in between 7" & 10". Some were turn to "safe" normal green turning sizes, others were turned to near finished sizes all around, (no sanding).
Again, the idea was to test and see how they would go, treated/untreated, thin/thick, tall/short, wide/narrow, deep hollow/shallow hollow, during turning, and after turning, etc., etc. The chuck recess was deliberately cut in all pieces in "expansion" mode (50 to 60mm), as per my procedure with any (most) other timbers, and not in "contraction" mode which would be recommended for timbers that are known to crack easily.:C

The results are a mess, but some how expected. The only piece that wasn't treated with stabiliser (2 coats in the first 24 hours), was the bowl/deep plate on the bottom left of the pic-1, and pic 2 & 3. This piece had start cracking in within the first 6 hours of turning, and its how it looked on the third day. The others, did not crack for the first 48 hours, but by the third day, that's how they looked. If the question is asked of how they look now, nearly one month later, well I can safely say that they didn't stop there, there is, the cracks continued to grow, indeed are still growing!:doh:

I'm in no way upset about the results, was no total surprise, nor I see any loss of my timber other materials or labour, if anything, was quite a pleasant day to turn all these pieces (easy to turn), and not being worried about the results. I didn't have any special design(s) for any of theses pieces, they all come out as I went, apart from the couple of boxes which I have made a lid for them. This is in no way the results expected from any other turnings from this type of timber, but a test done due to the specific timber natural "heart" design and colours, challenging the forces of physics with some woods. This all started as a test, and it became nothing more, I'm only sharing the results with you all, as they are things to learn...!:;

I have many other blanks properly cut and in various stages of dryness, with which some other pieces will be made in a near future, results will be shared also!:roll:
There is not enough space to put all the pics in one post so, more will follow!

PS: I've tried to control the cracking speed (size), using the glass/metals method of stopping/controlling a crack by, making a hole (approx. 20mm) at the centre of one piece, and on another, I've cut the hole and then glued a piece of some other dry timber. It didn't made any difference, this wood cut this way has most certainly, a mind of its own...!:oo:

RBTCO

robutacion
23rd September 2008, 07:07 PM
Continued...

rsser
23rd September 2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, well in my experience, get rid of all the sapwood and bark, and then do everything else times two.

My bootload had magic figure but only a couple of lumps survived to the end of the turning process.

robutacion
23rd September 2008, 07:17 PM
Continued...

robutacion
23rd September 2008, 07:23 PM
Continued... & the ending of this lot!:doh:
RBTCO

rsser
23rd September 2008, 07:47 PM
continued ...

:stress:

robutacion
23rd September 2008, 11:20 PM
"I'm in no way upset about the results, was no total surprise, nor I see any loss of my timber other materials or labour, if anything, was quite a pleasant DAY to turn all these pieces (easy to turn), and not being worried about the results. I didn't have any special design(s) for any of theses pieces, they all come out as I went, apart from the couple of boxes which I have made a lid for them. This is in no way the results expected from any other turnings from this type of timber, but a test done due to the specific timber natural "heart" design and colours, challenging the forces of physics with some woods. This all started as a test, and it became nothing more, I'm only sharing the results with you all, as they are things to learn...!:;"

Hahahaha, not exactly... :bricks: :D
RBTCO

OGYT
24th September 2008, 09:54 AM
Well, I'm learnin', so keep turnin'. :D
Thanks for this thread. :2tsup:
And thanks for showing us this beautiful wood. Wish I was in South Australia.

ubeaut
25th September 2008, 02:08 AM
Pictures were removed and thread closed because it was gumming up the works and slowing the entire forums down.

Feel free to start an new one but keep the pics down to a reasonable level well over 60 in this one was way too much.

Neil