PDA

View Full Version : Garden plant markers

golfinggazza
20th June 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi all. 1st time in scrollers forum. Figured I may be able to get some help here. I am a volunteer at out local "Mens Shed" and am involved in mainly gardening which is starting to reallt take shape. Some of our blokes like to be doing things other than planting from time to time and identifying plants with timber tags would be a great activity for them. We have all sorts of tools available so any ideas would be great activity for them.
Thanks.,
Garry
Frankston

keju
21st June 2008, 11:15 PM
Would be easy to cut just rectangles and attach them to some stick... write the name on them..... or you could get fancy and scroll the names of plants.
If you want to get super fancy you could compound cut 3D plantstakes shaped like worms etc... then attach a sign to those...

I may be way off in the wrong direction with this, so just give us a few pointers about what you're after.

Juvy

golfinggazza
21st June 2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for your interest. The chaps we are working with have varying levels of skills but I was trying to get away from basic rectangles if I could but still working with timber either burn or dremel identities dates etc for each plant. Was thinking of flowers scrolled or leaves but open to ideas.

keju
21st June 2008, 11:44 PM
Simple flower and leave shapes would be good.... then do some pyrography on them for ID...... since these stakes would be outside you don't want to spend too much time making them... unless you'd put them into indoor pots.
At any rate it would be a great project for beginners... scrolling a bunch of these would be good practise.

I'm uploading ( at least trying to! lol) a few samples of what you could do.... again... let me know if I'm going in the right direction with this.

Juvy

charlieart66
23rd June 2008, 10:34 PM
Hi all. 1st time in scrollers forum. Figured I may be able to get some help here. I am a volunteer at out local "Mens Shed" and am involved in mainly gardening which is starting to reallt take shape. Some of our blokes like to be doing things other than planting from time to time and identifying plants with timber tags would be a great activity for them. We have all sorts of tools available so any ideas would be great activity for them.
Thanks.,
Garry
Frankston

:U

If they are going in the ground they ought to be oak, but the problem with oak is that I found hard to ?pyrographfy?. I tried pyrography once but I found that unless you have the tip a very short distance from the handle it is difficult to get any detail. Its like writing with a pencil and holding it right up where the rubber is. However I was using an el cheapo pen and I am sure that more expensive tools have better control.

golfinggazza
24th June 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for those ideas. Pyrography is the word I am looking for and "The Shed" has a couple that I know of but have not seen anyone using them I guess I can be 1st in line. They do not have to be fancy but something to interest these disadvantaged, displaced, lonely and even homeless blokes in the area. Amazing the difference a few weeks with them makes.
Garry

keju
26th June 2008, 10:06 AM
If you're not going for fancy, just about any spare wood will do.... after all if they need replacing it will just give you another reason to make more :)

You can just scroll out simple plant shapes , coat with say estapol , write on them with a black marker and give another couple of coats... that should last you through one growing season.

If you are interested in learning more about pyrography here's a good website.... it even has a tutorial ( scroll down ... left side)
http://www.woodburner.com/404.php

Also... chances are good you can find a book in your local library or they can get one for you.

Juvy