PDA

View Full Version : HobbyCNC

chrisb691
21st June 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

I'm comtemplating building a CNC router, and have been investigating the options available (so many).

I intend to start with a 3 axis MDF design, and develop from there and eventually use this machine to build a better one. Since I will probably go 4 axis on the second build, I will purchase gear for 4 axis to start off with, so that I can reuse it on the better machine.

One of the options I'm looking at, is a package from hobbycnc. This is in kit form, and the boards have to be assembled. The 4 axis kit, with 305oz steppers, works out at US$395 delivered to Australia. The kit can be seen be seen here (http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-pro-driver-board-packages/), and I would appreciate any comments.

If there are better alternatives, please say so. If I am totally off the planet...please say so.

rodm
21st June 2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Chris,
The Hobby CNC boards are unipolar series and this means they move the motors faster but there is a reduction in torque.

IMHO the beter configeration is Bipolar which are the Xylotex type of board.
Currenlty they have a deal for a 4 axis board complete in a box with 425oz motors for $460. If you consider the cost of a transformer, case, cables, plugs and the larger motors the extra $65 is a good deal. This is a plug and play system so no risks involved.

There was some good comments made about these boards on a Forum and the ability to remove a chip yourself if you blow the board - same specs as a Xylotex but cheaper.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-AXIS-CNC-ROUTER-OR-MILL-STEPPER-MOTOR-DRIVER-BOARD_W0QQitemZ230262330231QQihZ013QQcategoryZ78197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are also a good deal but will work out a bit dearer. They are 3.5 amp bipolar and have short circuit protection - I have used these and found them good. You can get your forth axis as a single unit.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/3x-3-5A-40V-Micro-stepping-CNC-Motor-driver-Free-Board_W0QQitemZ200232175157QQihZ010QQcategoryZ71394QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

crocky
21st June 2008, 11:28 AM
Hi Chris,

I tend to go with Rod on motors and kits, definitely give xylotex a look and it is easily converted (switch one wire) to run on 240 volts. They are fairly easy to get going too!

Which suburb are you in?

chrisb691
21st June 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Rod.

Bugga!! I had totally missed that not-so-subtle difference. Okay, so I'll take the advice, and file the Xylotex system in my brain for later use. By the time I get to the point of actually needing the gear, there may have been something else come on the market that gets your approval.

I'm currently dimensioning the CAD files for Joes2006, MDF machine. This looks like it's developing an unforseen complication, which is probably going to slow me down some. I was quite prepared to buld to imperial sizing, and make allowance for the difference in sheet thickness, However, what I'm finding is that there are some really awkward sizing coming out, such as slots at 4 9/32" centres. If I round to 4 1/4, it'll make an 1/8" size difference over the length, and I have no idea if it will all fit together. I'm going to have to confirm the assembly once I get everything dimensioned.

In the meantime, and to hedge my bets, I have also ordered a set of plans from Patrick Hood-Daniel, for his newer version. In fact, it was his videos that decided me that I could build one of these things. Although I doubt SWMBO will let me do the routing in the bathtub. :D

Crocky, I live in Cheltenham.