PDA

View Full Version : Vase 1 + Questions?

lubbing5cherubs
21st June 2008, 02:33 PM
This is my first vase ever,First attempt at ebonizing ever, and this was done on my new OT lathe, with my new hollowing tool that Jim recommended. She is a ripper thanks JIM. When I was hollowing I began to see daylight so rather than throwing I improvised with it but this brings me to my next question when you have lines like this the vase is not wide enough for hand to fit inside it how would you sand these lines in the wood? I tried an emory board tha tyou do your nails with not much a success the sanding stuff came off. The dremel does not fit in the hole so what else?
Thanks For your time. Love to know your thoughts ideas to improve it also welcomed. I know it not perfect but love to know how to spruce it up and how do you get the glossy shine finish you see it still has it base on at the moment til I am finished attacking it so this is not finished product this is Work in progress. This thread is open to opinion so that I can improve it and learn in the process.
thanks Toni:D

joe greiner
21st June 2008, 10:33 PM
Probably not a proper answer to your question, Toni, but on occasions like this, I've modified the design to suit the tool(s) available. In this case, I'd increase the width/size of the hole to accept the Dremel. There are some smaller drum sanders available for Dremel which might not produce a terrible design. A chain-saw sharpening bit would have an even smaller size, as small as 5/32-inch IIRC.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd June 2008, 01:56 AM
The only answer I've got is... a lot of patience. I wish I knew of something quick'n'easy, but I don't, dammit. :~

The small drums on the Dremel are great for removing material, but not so good for "final sanding." I find they either leave a rippled finish behind (from chewing out softer sections of grain) or tend to char the wood easily, even on the lowest speed setting. (How I wish that my Dremel could be set lower than 10,000ish RPM!)

Instead, I use a dowel or 6" nail with a thin strip of Hermes paper wrapped around in a spiral - taped at one end, me holding the other. It's fiddly, but it works for me.

BernieP
22nd June 2008, 07:01 PM
G'Day Toni

You may find the attached site of interest as the sanding cord may be the answer to your problem http://www.mitchellsabrasives.com/osc/

Cheers
Bernie

old_picker
22nd June 2008, 08:39 PM
from what i understand you want to tidy up the slots?
try a small steel scraper with some sandpaper stuck to one side with DS tape

TTIT
22nd June 2008, 11:17 PM
I'd be making a small sanding block with a corner that has the same angle as the cutters on your router bit. Wrap your sandpaper over that corner of the block and slide it back and forth along the groove until it's smooth and even - assuming this is the effect your after. The edges of the hole/slot should only need a fine hand rub after that treatment.:U

wheelinround
23rd June 2008, 11:21 AM
Toni great work can I suggest checking the sharpness of the cutter 1st no different to using other tools need sharp cutters, smooth steady cuts.
I have been told one of the OTGA members spends hours/days/weeks hand sanding down to 1200 to get the finish he's after :doh:

No2w comes your and all of our inventive stage

The other option is Rifling files small fine files shaped to various shapes.